Seagate Free Agent Go or Lacie Rugged Disk?

meansizzler

Ex Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 2.5" firewire 800 HD, since you can't buy just the enclosures in the UK, have these two options..

Seagate Free Agent Go for MAC

Lacie Rugged Disk

I have heard bad things' about lacie's, such as the HD stops working after a while, and the seagate just came out..

Any ideas?

Not much difference price wise..

Seagate all the way. They are solid drives that last for ages and ages, the enclosures on freeagents are always well built too

Lacie's are horrible, and always will be.

I've had a Lacie NAS for a year or so, and after 2 months the HD failed, got it replaced under warranty. The HD in it is a Seagate so make of that what you will.

I've got two Lacie's including a rugged drive.

Both contain Samsung drives and have been totally reliable so far.

"Seagate FreeAgent Go Mac"

I understand the included dock is FW800 only. Is it also possible to use the dock and connect it to the FW400 port with an adaptor? Or is it as reviews suggest that to connect the FreeAgent Go Mac to FW400 you need a direct cable (which is included)?

My reasoning being that I can use up the FW ports for hard drive duty, freeing up the usb ports for other peripherals. And yes, I do have a Belkin 7 port powered usb hub already (currently attached to my HP)

I do also see that Seagate sell a separate USB dock. Shame they did not include multiple connections by default

The Western Digital passport drive for mac now does firewire 800/400 ...

Jon

Well I was liking the idea of a dock :p

Interesting. Whilst a WD desktop has failed on my brother my 3 WD passports have never failed on me. I always presumed the Mac version was just formatted but did not know it had FW on it as well

I'll look into the WD Passport Studio Mac. I like that the Seagate detects when your Mac goes to sleep and the drive does so as well

I just really like the idea of a dock simply for the sake of convenience, tidiness and presentation :p

"Seagate FreeAgent Go Mac"

I understand the included dock is FW800 only. Is it also possible to use the dock and connect it to the FW400 port with an adaptor? Or is it as reviews suggest that to connect the FreeAgent Go Mac to FW400 you need a direct cable (which is included)?

My reasoning being that I can use up the FW ports for hard drive duty, freeing up the usb ports for other peripherals. And yes, I do have a Belkin 7 port powered usb hub already (currently attached to my HP)

I do also see that Seagate sell a separate USB dock. Shame they did not include multiple connections by default

did you ever find out if you could use the dock with a fw400/800 adaptor, if one exists.

Sorry, that was me being a complete newbie as I have never used FW before. I have since read up and as the dock is FW800 only its never going into a FW400 port :blush:

Apple are too cheap. Should have given me 2x FW800 instead of 1x FW800 + 1x FW400

Sorry, that was me being a complete newbie as I have never used FW before. I have since read up and as the dock is FW800 only its never going into a FW400 port :blush:

Why not just get a FW800 to FW400 cable?

it would need to be a fw800 female to female adaptor, because the dock comes with cable already attached with a fw800 male on the end. the drive already comes with a fw800 to fw400 cable so once you have plugged the fw400 into the mac you are then left with another fw800 male, which means you then have to join two males together. even if i could find an adaptor to suit would the dock still be compatible with fw400.

ah okay did not realise it was pre-wired that way, could not find a picture of the back

the only other thing that would do it would be a fw400 male to fw800 female cable. if only they hadn't hard wired it, i wonder if its to stop you using it with fw400 because it not compatible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom