Seagate Expansion Portable help!

gregster10217

I've got a Seagate Expansion Portable 500GB hard drive and formatted it so it would work with my PS3, however I want to return it to it's original state.

It's only showing 32GB of memory at the moment, and I'd like to get it back to the 500GB it should have. I believe I formatted it to FAT32. Have I knackered it permanently, or can it be reformatted? If so, how do I go about it as I cannot do it by accessing the drive itself.

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Right click on My Computer/Computer and pick manager, then select Disk Management.

That'll allow you to delete the 32GB FAT32 partition and/or create a new partition using the unformatted space.

Windows limits FAT32 to 32GB because it's an old filesystem but if you do need to use it for a device with poor file system support then there are programs that will let you create a FAT32 partition on the full size of your disk (e.g. these).

p.s. A 'partition' is just a section of the disk that has been formatted with a file system to hold files, if the whole disk is formatted in one lump then that's just a single partition, but as the word suggests you can have as many as you like and they can be any sizes you want.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom