Sea of Thieves (Early 2018, XPA)

A good analysis of the graphics from Digital Foundry...

This looks beautiful! I just wanna get lost in the world. And when I do, hopefully no one else will ruin it for me.

It's a game about working together. I imagine it will be far more fun working together with a Looking For Group inside the Xbox Windows 10 app. [emoji106][emoji2]

Free month of Gamepass activated (could have a second month free if I set up a payment method but didn't bother), so all ready for when its released so I can download it. Now that being said....Ni No Kuni is out the same week....both are going to require quite a bit of my time so I may have to hold out on one of them. Depends on how active it is I suppose for this one.

Plus I fired up the Division recently again too......and started Bloodborne.

Not enough hours.

Downloading now :)

You can play Sea of Thieves right now anywhere in the world - VG247

SoT.PNG

Just had a quick hour with it there. Its going to be tough going solo on this one I think as theres a lot of team work required, even moreso on the bigger ship! Performance seems good, had everything maxxed out and was hitting 60FPS on my 980ti 2560x1440 Res. I'd recommend using V-Sync as I had it off and locked to 60 and there was tearing all over the place. Turned that on and there was none.

Its crossplay with Xbox so you'll have both sets of players grouping so should help grouping when numbers start dropping.

Didn't have much idea what I was doing and some Auzzie fella was there explaining it all but seems a decent concept.

Few Screenshots.

Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 15.41.31.96.png
Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 15.41.57.15.png
Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 15.55.40.56.png
Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 16.13.03.46.png
Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 16.18.26.96.png
Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 16.21.10.80.png
Sea of Thieves Screenshot 2018.03.19 - 16.30.15.23.png

Really enjoyed the beta for this. Might look into a trial for Gamepass and see how the full game is.

Getting into this now. Not much in the way if tutorials mind. There isn't one lol!

Got a couple of bounties done. Got attacked and then got caught in a storm .graphically the style is nice and the lighting is really good.

Was playing solo most of the night but I can see its going to he tough on your own.

Liking it so far though. Not bad for fwwweeeee :)

Getting into this now. Not much in the way if tutorials mind. There isn't one lol!

Got a couple of bounties done. Got attacked and then got caught in a storm .graphically the style is nice and the lighting is really good.

Was playing solo most of the night but I can see its going to he tough on your own.

Liking it so far though. Not bad for fwwweeeee :)

Fwwweeeee for a month with Game Pass*

:D

I was looking at the xbox game pass and if you haven't tried it before then you can have a 14 day free trial after which it goes to £10 a month.

For me it seems like a good deal as it's quite expensive to buy the full game (compared to usual pc prices) but £10 can get you 6 weeks play after which I'll more than likely be bored of it.

It’s £7.99 a month after the trial, mines payed up until mid June so il be ok for a good while yet.

Ooooh even better, I'm tempted just so I can try sailing through the storms as the sea looks amazing in vids.

If you have never had a free trial before CD Keys have a months code for £1.49 it’s got to be a new account though.
Wow, impossible to say no at that price!

Going to have to wait till I get home to check details out as I've got an xbox account from when I had a xbox 360 so not sure if it'll be ok to use it on that or if I need to make a new account (which doesn't bother me I've got nothing tying me to the old one).

Might get the free trial for this in a week or two... in the middle of a university assignment at the minute so I must resist getting it now... but will have a 10 day break in 2 weeks time so could fill my time nicely :)

Good session tonight. Getting the hang of it all now and slowly levelling the different mission givers up. Got them all just past 5 now. I do enjoy doing a handbrake turn in my boat!! My worry is the longevity with this TBH. Can see the complaints about nothing much to do really and think its more about grouping with friends and having a laugh more than in it for the long game and the grind. Which is fine but I just doubt i'll need more than my free month the way it is.

Must admit I played it for a couple of hours with the lads this evening, it’s a very pretty game in places but also got tedious a little to fast, glad I didn’t buy it.

This reminds me of Elite Dangerous when it first came out. They have nailed the world design, art style and most of the mechanics but it needs a tutorial (they are basically relying on people watching streams to learn how to play), it needs a much better progression system as cosmetics aren't enough to keep me interested. And it needs better, more varied quests; though I admit I've not played enough to say how the quests change with levels. Basically what I'm saying is this game is probably going to be much improved after 6 months so I'm glad I'm using a game pass and didn't pay full price.

This reminds me of Elite Dangerous when it first came out. They have nailed the world design, art style and most of the mechanics but it needs a tutorial (they are basically relying on people watching streams to learn how to play), it needs a much better progression system as cosmetics aren't enough to keep me interested. And it needs better, more varied quests; though I admit I've not played enough to say how the quests change with levels. Basically what I'm saying is this game is probably going to be much improved after 6 months so I'm glad I'm using a game pass and didn't pay full price.

I thought the same thing, although I must admit that I've had more fun in SoT in two days than I ever did in Elite and I played that for a couple of years! As everyone is aware, there's not much to do in the game, but it's perfect for dicking around with your mates and getting up to no good. Still glad I'm playing via Game Pass though, as there's no way it's currently worth 40-50 bones.

Have to agree with that, we did a few hours yesterday and its good fun but the missions we did were a bit repetitive so the longevity of the game could be a little stunted if it doesn't expand in future updates. Other players I encountered are absolute d**ks and just wanted to blow us out of the water.

Nice to see it doesn't need a powerhouse PC to play it and look nice (some of the water effects are really cool). Crossplay with XB1 is also pretty seamless.

NvmwfiC.jpg

Im using the 14 day free trial and although im enjoying it i cant see me purchasing it at the moment as its not worth the full price as the content just isnt there and the missions are repetitive.

I also prefer this with a group as solo was just dull especially when ambushed by a group.

Can you play on private servers or PvE coop only servers or is it single player or "open" mode only. I hate PvP in games like this but if it has an "elite dangerous Mobius" kind of option I may buy

Last edited:
Can you play on private servers or PvE coop only servers or is it single player or "open" mode only. I hate PvP in games like this but if it has an "elite dangerous Mobius" kind of option I may but
Nope. Your always put into a populated server. You have zero choice in this regard. Whether they're hell vent on doing PvP is the luck of the draw. I've been in a few where people are friendly and others where they camp out where you hand in rewards to kill you and hand in the Reward instead.

The games good. It's just lacking any sort of reason to grind for me. Nothing to chase as the game is just all cosmetics. It's fun with friends but doing the same missions is going to get boring at some point. I've enjoyed what I've played though and it hasn't cost me a penny because of Gamepass but I can't see myself renewing it after the free month. May be one to come back to down the line when it's had a good few dlc drops and changes .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom