Sea of Thieves (Early 2018, XPA)

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sot.png

Sea of Thieves is an upcoming action-adventure video game developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Studios for Microsoft Windows and Xbox One, set for release in 2017.

Confirmed as a Xbox Play Anywhere title.
Confirmed crossplay.

Enjoyed my time with the alpha and can't wait to try it on PC in glorious 21:9.

Are you excited for it? I'm cautiously optimistic and had a blast while playing the Xbox beta.

Last edited:
Guess I'll be the only high seas sailor after all! :(

I fancy the game but as its online MP only I'll probably give it miss.

I'll be getting it but last thing I heard about it on pc was there is an NDA so I'm a bit jealous there's been an alpha on xbox already, will be keeping my eyes open for updates re pc version.

I'll be getting it but last thing I heard about it on pc was there is an NDA so I'm a bit jealous there's been an alpha on xbox already, will be keeping my eyes open for updates re pc version.

There's an NDA but I'll record stuff and release it when the NDA is lifted. Online MP only but it's the most fun I've had in a pirate game so far. Considering I thought I'd hate it, I'm pleasently surprised. Plenty of online only games nowadays.

I'm very interested. Online only doesn't bother me, so long as I'm able to have my own fun without being griefed unreasonably... much like how I enjoy Elite Dangerous online.

Do love a swashbuckler theme too :thumbsup:

While getting thirty friends together to form a well organised crew of a Man-o-War would be an amazing experience, the commitment to making that happen is just not something I can do right now. I've been there, being part of an outfit in Planetside 2, but adult life and kids changes things :(

If I can make my own adventure, at my own pace, while enjoying coming across other players (who don't one-shot me on sight for the lolz) then I'm in!

Last edited:
There's an NDA but I'll record stuff and release it when the NDA is lifted. Online MP only but it's the most fun I've had in a pirate game so far. Considering I thought I'd hate it, I'm pleasently surprised. Plenty of online only games nowadays.
Cool will be looking forward to seeing some footage, I only buy mp games nowadays can't remember the last single player game I bought.

I play Blackwake which is a pirate game (amazing fun especially considering it's been developed by two guys) and there loads of people who play that who are really looking forward to SOT.

I'm very interested. Online only doesn't bother me, so long as I'm able to have my own fun without being griefed unreasonably... much like how I enjoy Elite Dangerous online.

Do love a swashbuckler theme too :thumbsup:

While getting thirty friends together to form a well organised crew of a Man-o-War would be an amazing experience, the commitment to making that happen is just not something I can do right now. I've been there, being part of an outfit in Planetside 2, but adult life and kids changes things :(

If I can make my own adventure, at my own pace, while enjoying coming across other players (who don't one-shot me on sight for the lolz) then I'm in!
Yeah hopefully it wont level based and you'll be able to drop in and out of crews as I'd guess we'd struggle to keep a group together for more than a couple of weeks.

Cool will be looking forward to seeing some footage, I only buy mp games nowadays can't remember the last single player game I bought.

I play Blackwake which is a pirate game (amazing fun especially considering it's been developed by two guys) and there loads of people who play that who are really looking forward to SOT.

Yeah hopefully it wont level based and you'll be able to drop in and out of crews as I'd guess we'd struggle to keep a group together for more than a couple of weeks.

Crossplay hasn't yet been confirmed and the game's success will ultimately depend on that. Don't want another Gears 4 situation where the PC crowd are screwed and can only play Social because it's the only playlist that's crossplay.

The game is dead on arrival with no crossplay.

Damn I thought cross play was confirmed :(

Really hoping it is as I'm not really into GOW but I'd love to do some gaming with my friends who only have xbox's.

Damn I thought cross play was confirmed :(

Really hoping it is as I'm not really into GOW but I'd love to do some gaming with my friends who only have xbox's.

Play Anywhere is confirmed so only one purchase needed. We're still waiting for crossplay.

I guess we'll see when the PC alpha hits if they are testing it.

I won't buy it unless it's confirmed.

Can you not play and 'serious' playlists in GOW at all, not even with other PC players? If so, that's very rubbish!

Though playing with console-playing-plebeians would be nice, even if there is no cross-play so long as we can play with PC players things should be fine, right? Dead on arrival seems harsh. In Elite, for example, PC and console players share the same universe but can never meet and it works. Can't think a game like this would have serious and social playlists, its a little more MMO I thought, you're all in together.

Can you not play and 'serious' playlists in GOW at all, not even with other PC players? If so, that's very rubbish!

Though playing with console-playing-plebeians would be nice, even if there is no cross-play so long as we can play with PC players things should be fine, right? Dead on arrival seems harsh. In Elite, for example, PC and console players share the same universe but can never meet and it works. Can't think a game like this would have serious and social playlists, its a little more MMO I thought, you're all in together.

PC players don't search in the core or comp modes because they know they are dead. The numbers aren't there when it's locked to Windows 10 and the Windows Store. Comp warmup is coming back soon so at least we'll have something else to play. If you know how to find players in the modes, I'm all ears because they just aren't there.

I hope there is crossplay. It's almost a requirement for Sea of Thieves.

Anyone else planning to pick this up in Early 2018? Crossplay has been confirmed.

It's also going to get:
  • ultrawide support.
  • gsync support.
  • FOV slider.
  • detailed graphics options.
Some nice gameplay in here.

Closed Beta coming Jan 24th - 29th.

Sea of Thieves - Sea of Thieves Closed Beta FAQ

If you pre-ordered the game through the Xbox or Windows Store, the game will appear in your games library 24 hours before the Closed Beta begins. You will need to download and install it.

I've got onto the closed beta on PC. I've not orderd the game. Sadly on order to play the game you need all of that Microsoft, Xbox drivel on your PC with endless useless files cluttering things up. I won't have that. So I won't be playing this game or the beta. As it's online only its not really my scene anyway. I always try the betas if free. Or, I would try them all if they weren't windows store games

Ive been watching a few streams of the beta (didnt get in myself) this does look pretty good fun with a good crew. Im not sure it would be that good playing solo though. There wasn't much content in the beta either so voyages looked pretty repetitive. I still think Skull and Bones is going to be more for me as I loved the ship2ship combat in Black Flag but this might be a good warm up. Hopefully there will be an open beta closer to release.

Reall not interested in these types of games normally but oddly in VR they just make sense, perhaps my imagination isn’t good enough for flatscreens.

I think it will go to shit though like the Dark Zones in The Division and be populated by high level bellends like always happens in these types of games the community just ruins them.

Seems to be too much wandering around at the moment.

Well I'll prob get to try this for free on release. Will get the Game Pass on Xbox trial when this comes out, then download it onto my PC as its a Play Anywhere Title :)

Well I'll prob get to try this for free on release. Will get the Game Pass on Xbox trial when this comes out, then download it onto my PC as its a Play Anywhere Title :)

I have a month game pass I haven't used from my Xbox One X purchase. Will come in handy. :)

A good analysis of the graphics from Digital Foundry...

This looks beautiful! I just wanna get lost in the world. And when I do, hopefully no one else will ruin it for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom