Sea of Thieves (Early 2018, XPA)

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
All fur coat and no knickers.

It’s a fun little game, but that’s all it is. It’s like one of those £4.99 mini games you see or an add-on to another game. It looks great though.

Played it a few times now and whilst it’s kind of fun with 4 of us it has no substance. Thankfully only cost me £1.49 for the game pass which I have till May. Nothing really drawing me back to it other than something else to play when we have raged at PUBG. :laugh:

DeanE

Distinguished Member
I really enjoyed what I played, although haven't played it now for a week or so. The game is lovely to look at and it really does require a bunch of you to get the best out of it, but apparently more content is on its way. I just wish the devs would announce their planned future content for the game, instead of the vague 'lots more to come'. I kind of get the impression the devs wanted people to just 'play pirate' within their sandbox and RP a little, but those wanting to level up and earn money found that the quests were all very similar.

What didn't help though was the absolutely terrible spawn camping and close proximity re-spawning of any ships you sank.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
What didn't help though was the absolutely terrible spawn camping and close proximity re-spawning of any ships you sank.

Hopefully solves this issue...

I've not fired it up for a week now and not felt any reason too either. Just think its at its most barebones of a game ATM so will wait until they add something worth turning it on for. Fun with friends just gets a bit too samey and even then it only picks up when you bump into other people and at that point you can lose hours of work or gain some extra gold. Its just not enough for me ATM.

Updates
  • Ship respawn distance - When a ship sinks, we have significantly increased the distance at which the crews new ship will respawn. Ships will now respawn outside of visible view of the ship that sank them. This is in response to lots of player feedback which highlighted that the previous spawn distance was resulting in "griefing" behaviour and stalemates at the forts!
  • Mermaid Teleport - It is no longer possible to accidentally teleport to your ship from the mermaid whilst holding treasure items. We saw feedback that players were accidentally leaving treasure behind in the sea!
Fixed Issues
  • [PC Only] Players should no longer experience the 0x80070005 error or get stuck at 99% during installation.
  • Players are no longer able to fall through the ship geometry and into the sea if they are to repeatedly jump on the chests/barrel located mid deck
  • The voyage image on the captain’s table now displays the rank (promotion) banner in the top right corner, to keep in line with other areas of the game UI.
  • When accepting a game invitation whilst matchmaking, the game no longer enters a temporary unresponsive state.
  • Bounty Captains will no longer spawn multiple times.
Performance Improvements
  • Multiple server and client crash fixes.
Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.

Known Issues
  • Players may experience details of their pirate (such as hair colour / scars) looking different from their initial selection.
  • Achievements earned prior to March 29th are delayed, but will be awarded once our fix is applied.
  • Some players are unable to equip a second weapon. For a potential workaround see our Support Article.
    For an update on these three issues, please read our Launch Update written by Executive Producer, Joe Neate.
  • Some players have not received their Black Dog Pack code.
    If you pre-ordered from the official Microsoft Store, please submit a Support ticket through Support. If you pre-ordered from another retailer, please contact them to receive your code.
  • Some players cannot see their downloadable content in game.
    Please read our Support Article for a potential workaround for this issue.
  • Bounty quest skeletons sometimes do not spawn or cannot be found.
    If you encounter this bug, a potential work around is to sail away from the island until it’s out of range, and then sail back in to trigger the Island Name banners.

spencer_uk

hey - is anyone playing this? I read the game has moved on massively from what it was.

Do you know if it is good to pick up and either solo or get matched with a crew? Or what it is like to play 2 player?

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom