1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

se7en

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Peter Shilton, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the dialogue in seven particularly poor or have I got my system set up wrong.

I found it difficult to hear. the scene noises were very overpowering.

Is this me or is it the film?

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that with my VHS copy.

I have the region 1, 2 disc special edition DVD now and the dialogue sounds perfect.

Which version do you have Mr. Shilton?

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had problems understanding the dialogue from the DD5.1 EX mix on the R2 SE. Was difficult to understand Brad Pitt, particularly at the start. But then I was listening to it downmixed to Dolby Surround so I put it down to that. I also put it down to Brad Pitt's dodgy accent. :)

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the dialogue is a little poor on Se7en, whether it be in 5.1, DTS, or standard stereo, VHS or DVD. I found it difficult to make out Brad Pitt even when watching it at the cinema.

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went to have a listen. Perfect was too strong a word but it is a huge improvement on my VHS.

6. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rented a R2 version from Blockbuster.

Please call me Peter!

7. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, at the moment I have my front Eltax Millenium speakers and rear Technics 40w thinks from my old prologic setup. I dont have a centre and have set my amp to phantom Could this be the problem?

With most DVDs I haven't noticed a problem, but se7en was almost unwatchable.

I am hoping to buy FS1's in a few weeks, so long as opinion on here is OK of them, as it wil keep my wife happy (amongst other things!!!)

Otherwise it will be FS2s. Was going to get the Kef eggs but the size of the Missions, plus the stands fot the Kefs look like you have to wrap the speaker wire round it. Naff!

Even though my amp is 6.1, 5.1 is plenty good enough, plus the upgraded sub so FS1s look likely.

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    I'd put a reasonable amount of money on the fact that you haven't got a centre speaker playing a major role in this one. The soundfield on Seven's nice and active, and Brad mumbles a lot. You really need that centre to give decent seperation between dialogue and effects. You might not notice on most things but a film like seven will show up a systems shortcomings no matter how small they might be.

9. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure that the soundmix for Se7en was specifically designed with the intention of having the viewer "straining" to hear the dialogue by Fincher and collaborators! I can even remember Barry Norman complaining about it (as if it were the filmakers intention) when he helmed the BBC's Film show back in 1996 upon the film's theatrical release.

I could just be a crap mix of course!

10. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IJS - don't put yourself down like that

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could very well be right.

The filmmakers might think I'm rather strange, but I prefer to watch English-speaking films without the subtitles :D (and boy did I have to use them on Se7en :rolleyes:)

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Maybe I've got the ears of a bat then, because I can't say I've ever struggled to hear the dialogue on the R1 SE. Now, my old EiV vhs tape....that's another story. Funnily enough, I never thought the original EiV disc release sounded too muddy either.
    I've certainly never used subtitles on it.
    Brad may mumble, but it's not exactly incoherent. Can't remember it being hard to follow in the cinema either.

13. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watch Snatch. Then he is incoherent.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambodude,

I can't comment on the R1. Mine is the R2 SE (see my earlier post, near the top)

With Mac commenting that the R1 sounds good too, perhaps it is a R2 problem....

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understood him in Snatch. :) But I did cringe at the lame gypo accent :rolleyes:

16. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D ....whooops

If have pulled out and dusted down my BFI Modern Day Classics edition of Se7en written by Richard Dyer.There's an entire chapter dedicated to the sound of Se7en which opens with a complaint from a reader of Screenwriter International.

I saw Seven recently at a cinema in the West End Of London, and i was extremely disappointed to discover that this outstanding film was accompanied by sound of appalling quality....i realise that the mood of the film is particularly dark, moody and the clarity of image and sound was not the director's main aim.However, the extent to which the sound was obscured goes beyond the concept of artistic license

The author notes that unlike most movies,the ambient noise in Se7en isn't minimised and is remorsley present whilst the actors' speech is often spare and quiet.
    It's an excellent read for fans of the film and worth searching out. I picked my copy up for 99p off the auctions.

As for the dvd, it's a while since i watched my Region 1 copy but i do remember noting that the DTS soundtrack was excellent! It's time for me to revisit this classic and maybe take in some of the accompanying commentaries aswell.

17. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the early scene in that very dark room was not nearly dark enough on my R2 copy. I remember it being much darker and actually a bit of a struggle to make out any detail at the cinema. The DVD appears to have had the brightness pushed up on this scene resulting in no blacks only light grays.

And no, its not because I'm using an LCD projector, I know what black should look like.

Allan

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks pretty good on my R2 SE - are you talking about the original R2 disk? On the SE special features disk, they show comparisons with the original transfer and the SE transfer - the original transfer looked awful!

19. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 2 disk SE version. I realise that with the DVD that scene is much easier to make out, I just feel thats not how it was intended to be shown. I think a deliberate decision was made as a cop-out to avoid acusations of it being too dark !

Allan

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still think it's a good disc... although after checking it out mine's just cracked slightly on the inside edge!:mad: Is that common? Never had a CD do that. Wonder if Woolies will take it back without a receipt.

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not good! Any cracks affect the aerodynamics as the disk spins. Be sure that it is a crack in the actual polycarbonate though, rather than just the rough edge of one of the reflective layers or the adhesive layer (which is quite common).

Have PM-ed you with a solution if it is a proper crack. :D

22. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I think if you listen to the Fincher comentry he talks about the remastering for the SE DVD from the original film source and how it improved the image quailty over the original DVD release (which he didn't like one bit).

I think it's one of the best sounding and visually stunning DVD's I have in my collection.

23. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rarely do this but I think i might in this case. Thanks.

Allan

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They talk about all the re-mastering in the various featurettes on disk 2 as well (with demos etc).

25. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Which one? There's about 4 commentaries on the disc and he's on all of them. I assume it's not the one about the "story" or the "acting" but one of the techie ones I've not actually got round to listening to yet:blush:

26. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The one with Fincher on his own.