SE K800i upgrade price?

Tony 21

Standard Member
Reaction score
My upgrade time has come and i usualy get £80 discount every year with t-mobile, and have been with them since it was one to one, to get this handset they have said i would have to put £100 as well as my discount, and i`m on a £35 a month tariff with them. Is that about right, or am i being led up the garden path?
Thanks in advance.

i would never pay to upgrade, there is always somebody out there who will do you a better deal, let them know if you cant get what deal you want, then you'll leave.

I have been quoted a £130 upgrade price on the same phone. The Upgrade price is £180 (so you are getting a £80 discount). I'm on a £25 per month fee and only getting £50 discount.

Im just out of a contract with T Mobile and tried to upgrade to something more modern. They wanted £130 quid off me. Ive been with them for 7 years and my tarriff is usually around the £35 mark. My bills are almost always dearer than this. I went to one of the local TMob shops to speak to someone real. I was told that TMobile policy since the 1st of August is no longer to heavily discount upgrades. TMobile believe that their tarriffs are the best around and based on that alone they will keep business and attract more besides. The guy in the shop actually said to me," I hope they (the management) know what their doing. There has been a marked downturn in upgrade business since the beginning of August". It is also worth noting that when, according to him, they give you a free phone at the start of a contract the hope is that you will actually spend much more than your tariff. Most people do and that is what subsides the price of the phone. If you only spend exactly your allowance each month then your upgrades with TMob are going to be expensive as they look at your spend over the past year and then work out based on a forward projection of that spend, how much the upgrade is going to cost you.
Anyway they havent got my business anymore. Ive moved to Orange. I think that a lot of people will jump ship to be honest.

Well I'm waiting for the N73 to come out and to see how much they charge for that. If it's not good enough I'll be jumping ship - no way am I paying £130 for an upgrade.

three are offering some great deals on the k800i

not sure about the other network providers but it seems that the K800i is a very popular phone

i had a look at one earlier on this week and i didn't like it to be honest :thumbsdow

Tejstar said:
I have been quoted a £130 upgrade price on the same phone. The Upgrade price is £180 (so you are getting a £80 discount). I'm on a £25 per month fee and only getting £50 discount.

I have been offered this discount aswell OR £10 off the tariff each month which then i got to £12 off. The discount on the tariff is worth it but im not keen on paying £180 for the K800i.
But in the long run the discounted tariff will save me £144 for the year and if i did pay the £180 to upgrade it would mean i have only payed £36 for the k800i

Sorry to go off the topic a bit :oops:

peterjspencer said:
Anyway they havent got my business anymore. Ive moved to Orange. I think that a lot of people will jump ship to be honest.

Think i will be going to orange aswell. Have had a good look around and they seem to have the better deal, even with T-mobile offerering me a discount.

Will save more money with them looking at it over the whole year.

Audio Bully said:
I have been offered this discount aswell OR £10 off the tariff each month which then i got to £12 off. The discount on the tariff is worth it but im not keen on paying £180 for the K800i.
But in the long run the discounted tariff will save me £144 for the year and if i did pay the £180 to upgrade it would mean i have only payed £36 for the k800i

I was offered £10 off as well, how did you manage £12? If, I could get more off, then I may do as you suggest - sounds like a plan!

if you get money off your tarrif..the next year they sting you for the upgrade saying you have become a lower tier customer due to your lowere line rental costs (thats what o2 said to me at least)

best to see if you can get all the line rental money off in one lump sum

Threaten to leave their services! Youll find youll start getting discounts on your upgrade!

My dad did this and got the n70 for free. They wanted about the same as you on the same cost tariff.

I've got a K750I on Orange at the mo, it's out of contract. I can get a free K800I upgrade anytime, or probably a free M600I as it's cheaper to buy sim free, if Orange ever release it. I may get the P990I but doubt it will be a free upgrade but it can be brought for free on 18 month tarrifs if you hunt around but it's not released till next month.
I'm on a £30 a month tarrif.
Why not leave T-Mobil with your PAC code and do the trick where you put it on a sim card for a quid and then get a nother PAC code and get a free phone deal with T-Mobile and a free K800I. That's what I'll do if I get the P990I.

Im with t-mobile and have been for donkeys. Contract ran out a few months ago and they only offered some crappy v average phones as upgrades (btw i spend around the £40 a month mark).
Anyway,i left it a bit and rang up the other day to ask for my pac number.
The guy immediately offers approx £2.50 off my monthly rental and an upgrade to a better than average phone so i thought sod it ill stick withem for another year.
Great, says the guy, the last thing i need to confirm is were gonna take £5.99 off your card for delivery of your phone!
Anyway, ive got my pac number and just signed up with orange.
:rolleyes:

I'm with Vodafone, and needed a Sony-E phone to fully function with my Sony-E bluetooth car kit.
I have two accounts with them.(one for the wife as well etc)

Phoned Voda for a upgrade on the wifes account, with the intention of grabbing the new phone for myself!
She very happy to get my nearly new V3X, so no household wars:D

The wife hardly uses her mobile, as she is either at work or home.
She does like to text her friends, so we needed a tariff with low minutes but with a text bundle.

I'm not keen on cash back deals (have one with the Carphonewarehouse), as it is a PITA and some companies go bump before you get your cheque.
I also only wanted a 12 month contract, as i'm not sure what the future holds. (new business venture just started)
I need to keep my number for business reasons, and want to stay with Vodafone.(friends and family are all on Vodafone, so cheaper mobile calls etc)

So as you can imagine, i'm NOT the ideal candidate for a cheap upgrade.
I searched a few places like Carphonewarehouse just to see how much on a new contract etc.
The "75 anynetwork" seemed ideal, but on a 12 month contract the K800i would cost £120.
Also the package didn't have a text bundle, and cost £20 a month.
Some places where offering cash back deals, but as mentioned i didn't want that route.

So i phoned Vodafone direct, and asked what they had to offer. (for the K800i)
I asked for the 75 minute tariff, on a 12 month contract...
£110 for the phone
£25 a month
100 texts included.

I mentioned i could get a better deal with a new contract, and was informed those deals where for new customers only:rolleyes:
Ok a said, put me through to cancellations!
As you have guessed, i was put through to a "senior" advisor who had access to better deals...:D

New upgrade deal offered...
£49 for phone
£20 a month
250 texts now included

I took it!

Works out at 12 x £20 = £240 + £49 = £289
Which is as cheap as i could have bought the handset sim free, but she gets the calls and texts thrown in.
Come 12 months i will be back on the phone for another upgrade.!..:devil:

A good place to start searching...(with O2 looking very cheap via cashback etc)
http://www.mobiles4everyone.com/index.asp

Tejstar said:
I was offered £10 off as well, how did you manage £12? If, I could get more off, then I may do as you suggest - sounds like a plan!

I said i wasnt all that happy and wasnt sure and mentioned that i might be better off if i started a new contracted ( being nice as possible ).He then said he would try and get more off the tariff, he came back and offered the £12 off, but i had to agree there and then as it was a one-off and could not be saved.
I think it wouldnt be too hard to get the same offer back but i still think it would be better to leave them.

By the way can you still get your mobile No. transfered to another network?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom