SE K800i Hints and Tips

ManGina

Noticed there was an N80 tips and hints thread that looked well supported so I thought I'd try the same here.
First a question - does anyone know how to stop the phone beeping at you when you send a txt? Don't mind the vibrate but could do with switching beep off:mad:
As for tips... um.. dont want to state the obvious here as I've only had the phone a few days...the buttons at the top of the display either side of the ear speaker are shortcuts to your camera photos (left for slide show, right for thumbs) and the zoom buttons for the camera can be used when viewing your photos and allow for 30x zoom and amazing detail for a camera phone. My gadget mate was speachless when I showed him...
There I said it was obvious but maybe someone out there didn't know this:)

juglandblues

Shows how much notice i have taken. Had the phone for about 3 weeks and didnt even realise those were buttons. I thought they were little protectors to stop the screen getting scratched if the phone was on its front lol

chrislad

I thought the exact same thing!

Heh. Learn something new every day.

buzzing

Novice Member
I've only had it a few days now and never noticed the buttons either.

Has anybody seen any good applications for the phone?

ManGina

Just found that when you want to put a number in your txt all you have to do is hold down the key that is relevent to the keypad. This may be old news to SE owners but I always had nokias and you had to go through the menu to "insert number".

Obskure

ManGina said:
This may be old news to SE owners but I always had nokias and you had to go through the menu to "insert number".
Sorry to tell you buddy, but it's been the same for nokia phones as well, since day 1. Hold the key to get the no.;)

Paul D

Had mine 24 hours, simply an amazing phone!

I had the SE HCB700 bluetooth car kit fitted last week, so wanted a SE phone to go with it. (so the phonebook would work correctly etc)

I was using a Motorola V3X, which was fine but had some quirks that were bothering me. (like the side buttons staying active when the clam was shut, meaning changed settings when in pocket etc)

I've never managed to get my "Plusnet" (proper) email account to work on a phone before.
I simply just didn't know where to start, or even if it could do it!

Not with the K800i :)
All i had to do was visit the SE website, and click on email setup.
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1_1_1_2&zone=&lm=ps1_1&pid=10407
You enter your phone provider details, and then your email provider details.
You then input your email name and password.
Press send (to your moby number) and bingo, your email settings are sent to the phone.
I'm with Vodafone (for moby use, not email!), and they don't yet support "Push" email.
Meaning there are no email alerts with them, so you have to press "send/receive" when you want to check for new emails etc. (no big deal i know!...but worth mentioning!)

This brings me on to the next great feature:D
Internet browsing...
I was checking for new emails whilst at the seaside. (Wales:rolleyes: )
I got a ebay reminder of an item i was watching, saying the auction was about to end.
Oops, i had forgot to bid before leaving the house.
I decided to see how the internet looked on the K800i.
There are two mode for viewing.."Best Fit" or "normal".
Best fit reorders the page to better fit to the screen, but does mean the page can appear rather jumbled.
I decided i prefered "normal", and just used the joystick to scroll left/right up//down etc.
I was surprised just how clear and detailed the pages looked.
Anyway....back to ebay!
I used the link provided in the email to go straight to the item.
There it was in all it's glory, with no bids:)
BUT...how would i log in and bid?

This was very easy indeed!
All you do is scroll around until the box/button you want is highlighted, and click the joystick.
This brings up a text entry box, and type as you would do with a text.
Press the joystick again to submit/enter.
I did this twice for my member name and password etc.
I then did this for my bid amount, and everything worked!
I did get a couple of warnings about security and the page being too large, but they don't effect anything.

A quick check on the auction confirmed i was the highest bidder, and a few refreshes later the winner :thumbsup:

The bluetooth works a dream with my car kit, with the voice tags/phone book making life so much easier and safer.

Apparently, the phone will take up to 4gb memory stick micro:eek:
That's a lot of photos or songs!
I have only been able to find up to 1gb chips for now, but i'm sure bigger ones are coming.
The camera is very good for a phone, and has a lot of options.
Sending the images(via email/blog/MMS) is just so easy, that i might actually start doing it!
The only thing i haven't seen is a "fill in" flash option. The Off/Auto/Red Eye settings doesn't help if the suns behind the person etc.
Anybody know how to "make" the flash fire?

With all the "other" toys on board it's easy to forget it's also a 3g phone as well!:hiya:

ManGina

Obskure said:
Sorry to tell you buddy, but it's been the same for nokia phones as well, since day 1. Hold the key to get the no.;)
Oh well - when I found this I assumed it was a new thing. Doh:rolleyes:

Thanks to Paul for some good stuff. I will definately come back and refer to this when I start using those features:thumbsup:

Tigerblade

Paul D said:
This brings me on to the next great feature:D
Internet browsing...
I was checking for new emails whilst at the seaside. (Wales:rolleyes: )
I got a ebay reminder of an item i was watching, saying the auction was about to end.
There is a cut down wap version of ebay that works a charm. Less to load so cheaper gprs charges :thumbsup:

Sy1441

I just ordered one of these, recently had thesamsung d500, the nokia 8800 and the nokia n80. I was perfectly happy with the N80 but im switching to T-mobile due to getting a 50% discount on line rental and id get a lot more £ for selling my sim-free n80 than my t-mobile branded and locked k800i.

Hope its as good as you guys are making out cos the n80 was excellent.

Paul D

Sy1441 said:
Hope its as good as you guys are making out cos the n80 was excellent.
There is no way i would say it is "better" than a N80, rather that it is very good at what it does.
It a 3g phone
It does email and web browsing
It takes decent photos
It does this with minimal fuss!
The best phone ever?...probably not, but for me it ticks ALL the boxes i need:smashin:

Sy1441

Paul D said:
There is no way i would say it is "better" than a N80, rather that it is very good at what it does.
It a 3g phone
It takes decent photos
The best phone ever?...probably not, but for me it ticks ALL the boxes i need:smashin:

To be fair the only thing i ues my phone for is calling and texting so anthing would do. Ive noticed the n80 has a habit of saving my text messages in drafts instead of sending them which is annoying though. The K800 is a wee bit smaller aswell which is nice.

Sy1441

It a 3g phone
It takes decent photos
After having it for a couple of weeeks id say it was definatly better than the n80. Camera is a definate plus point, the screen was proabably better on the b80 though. The phone layout is much better and is easier to text with and its slimmer. Its a horrible looking phone asthetically though especially when i had an 8800 a couple of months back.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom