• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SDR to HDR

leedebs

Prominent Member
Not sure where to post this (mods please move as necessary)
I am very pleased with an old oled model (EC930V) but the upgrade bug & larger screen size is starting to get appealing.
So trying to get my head around the HDR from SDR impressions.
On SDR we tend to have the TV set with low oled light & Contrast at 80, Warm 2 colour temp and yet some people would say this is a "dull" picture (I am perfectly happy with it & for me it has plenty of pop even in daytime (oled light at 30))
Yet from sets I have seen & I also hear people with HDR sets say the image is brighter, the whites are whiter and the screen has more pop, surely then the same could be achieved by just turning up oled light/contrast? I realise its not that simple & there is more to HDR but why when calibrated for SDR do we have images set with lower light & they are ok yet with HDR these are all set higher. Supposedly HDR reflects what the human eye can determine so surely if dazzling whites and highlights are the right way then shouldn't the SDR calibration be set brighter anyway?
I expect I have this all wrong but can someone kindly please explain this in layman terms 🤞

dion 6

Prominent Member
Not sure where to post this (mods please move as necessary)
I am very pleased with an old oled model (EC930V) but the upgrade bug & larger screen size is starting to get appealing.
So trying to get my head around the HDR from SDR impressions.
On SDR we tend to have the TV set with low oled light & Contrast at 80, Warm 2 colour temp and yet some people would say this is a "dull" picture (I am perfectly happy with it & for me it has plenty of pop even in daytime (oled light at 30))
Yet from sets I have seen & I also hear people with HDR sets say the image is brighter, the whites are whiter and the screen has more pop, surely then the same could be achieved by just turning up oled light/contrast? I realise its not that simple & there is more to HDR but why when calibrated for SDR do we have images set with lower light & they are ok yet with HDR these are all set higher. Supposedly HDR reflects what the human eye can determine so surely if dazzling whites and highlights are the right way then shouldn't the SDR calibration be set brighter anyway?
I expect I have this all wrong but can someone kindly please explain this in layman terms 🤞
Can't answer your question but I had a LG 930V Oled for 4.5 years and loved the tv but had the upgrade bug the tvs screen failed so I got a new 65 inch panasonic gz950 under the 5 year warranty + an extra £400. I couldn't believe my luck I spent months on different screen settings for the 930V then just enjoyed the tv after that. The gz950 is a different kettle of fish altogether just pick your preferred presets and thats it fantastic picture quality especially in 4kUHD

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom