Quantcast

Sdi

Mora

Banned
Trying to learn about SDI / Scalers etc.... anyhow...

a) Is it likely that an SDI mod will be available for the Sky HD unit in march ?

b) Which scalers (or due soon scalers) currently work with 1080.

c) I believe i need at least 2 SDI inputs (Skybox, DVD), and say 2 HDMI inputs (Xbox360, spare?) - which ones have that?

d) What feeds what, (DVD, Sky, Freeview) > Scaler > Amp > Plasma/Projector. ? (or are the amp and scaler switched?- think this is right)

e) So, the non-hdcp comes out of the scaler, and into the amp. if i then want to record this onto a HDD/DVD combo, whats a good unit to have, and by what means does it come out of the scaler, and into the unit.

Assuming this is correct, if i have a plasma and projector, i need two HDMI outputs on the amp.

Steve :confused:

Nic Rhodes

a) Unknown, my bet is NO
b) 1080i inputs, most but few do it quality wise. Most will output at 1080p no problem. The issues are more with the display devices.
c) Mnay well know names like Lumagen do this combo now
d) No amp switching. scaler direct to display device. It deal with ALL the video. Audio proc just does audio (for best quality)
e) HDCP will come out of the scaler. If you want to record (probably SD), then use SVideo or RGB connection direct.

plasma and projector will need two (digital?) outputs you most likely need a HDMI distributor for this but you will hit issues re possible different resolutions.

VirusKiller

Novice Member
My 2p...

a) Unknown, but you would need a scaler with an HD SDI input. e.g. Crystalio II. Not sure if the Lumagen HDPPro accepts HD SDI.

b) A lot of processors work with and can output HD, but, on most, HD functionality is considerably less than SD functionality. e.g. Many or all of the following features will be missing for 1080i sources: motion adaptive deinterlacing, motion predictive deinterlacing, inverse telecine 2:2/3:3 pulldown (to identify when the original movie frames occured in the timeline).

c) Two SD SDI inputs rules out the iScan range (HD/HD+/VP30). Crystalio (I) has 3, Crystalio II has 2, Lumagen HDP and HDPPro have an optional 2. Cinemateq Plus II SDI has 2 though this is explicitly SD oriented. You might consider a DVD player with a SD HDMI feed instead of SDI (which is something I want to look into myself). iScan VP30 then becomes an option with a single SDI input. Only the current crop have actual HDMI inputs (iScan VP30, Crystalio II), but most of the others have HDCP enabled DVI (so you could use a DVI->HDMI converter). I don't know of a scaler (iScan, Lumagen, Cinemateq, Crystalio) with more than one HDCP digital output (HDMI or DVI).

d) DVD/Sky/Freeview --> Scaler --> Plasma/Projector. Be aware that only the iScan scalers have an audio delay facility, so be sure either your audio processor/amp has a lipsync feature and/or you get hold of a delay device.

e) With an SDI input, yes, the output will not be HDCP encoded so you don't need an HDCP compliant display device.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
a) Is it likely that an SDI mod will be available for the Sky HD unit in march ?

HD-SDI mods are packed and ready to go. But require a HD-SDI scaler (mucho dollar). You will be able to feed HD HDMI to a Lumagen HDP or ProHDP and have it do good work with 1080i deinterlacing and scaling, and straight 720p scaling.

b) Which scalers (or due soon scalers) currently work with 1080.

Lumagen HDP models should be able to faithfully deinterlace 1080i digitally or via analogue. For full motion adaptive pixel for pixel deinterlacing (or indeed motion compensated) you will need to wait for a selection of products using the new bigger chips from Silicon Optix (HQV) or Gennum (VXP). These will also be very, very expensive!!

c) I believe i need at least 2 SDI inputs (Skybox, DVD), and say 2 HDMI inputs (Xbox360, spare?) - which ones have that?

Lumagen has 2 SDI and 2 HDMI (also accept interlaced HDMI from compatible DVD players).

Iscan VP30 has 4 HDMI, Crystalio has one DVI but 3 SDI.

d) What feeds what, (DVD, Sky, Freeview) > Scaler > Amp > Plasma/Projector. ? (or are the amp and scaler switched?- think this is right)

Keep the amp well out of it!!! All video sources run to the scaler for processing and then out to a distribution amp to split to projector and plasma. For recording you will need to run secondary outputs from each of your devices to a recorder.

e) So, the non-hdcp comes out of the scaler, and into the amp. if i then want to record this onto a HDD/DVD combo, whats a good unit to have, and by what means does it come out of the scaler, and into the unit.

Only signals that started without HDCP will continue to be without HDCP. SDI and HD-SDI. HDMI from XBox, DVD, Sky HD, PS3 will all remain copyright protected through the entire signal chain.

You won't be able to output a signal from the scaler to your recorder though as the scaler will be outputting 720p for the projector (which would work with HD recorders) but 768p for the plasma (which will not). Neither of this signals will work with DVD recorders. You will need to wire from each source device seperately.

>Assuming this is correct, if i have a plasma and projector, i need two HDMI >outputs on the amp.

Two HDMi outputs on the scaler..... or a 1:2 ditributor as very few scalers have two outputs. It isn't worth limiting your choice to just scalers that have dual HDMI out when a distribution amp does the job just as well.

HTH

Top Bottom