SDI vs HDMI interlaced

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by lowrider, Oct 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I understand both are exactly what is on disc, am I right ???

Someone from AVforums modifies the FMJ DV27 to include SDI output, would it be much different to use HDMI protocol and connectors instead ???

If what I say above is right, wouldnt it be possible for Arcam to do it for DV27 owners, maybe toguether with the DV27 to DV27A upgrade... :lease:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Arcam won't do SDI upgrades because SDI has no copy protection & they would fall foul of DVD forum.

HDMI has copy protection but I don't think it is as simple as an upgrade like SDI. I don't know for sure but I think it impacts more than that and would require some fundamental design changes.

Yes SDI gives 480i/576i but not all HDMI allows interlaced output (so when it doesn't you would be limited to the deintarlacing of the player). The Arcam DV29 does allow interlaced output over HDMI but , correct me if I'm wrong , I don't think the DV79 does (or the denon 2910/3910 etc either)

Of course HDMI isn't a video only connection (like SDI) either. Ver 1.0 will carry stereo audio while Ver1.1 will carry multi channel audio.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ignoring copy protection, if both output interlaced YCbCr 4:2:2 (upsampled from 4:2:0 by the mpeg decoder)then i can't imagine there being any difference in PQ, although i'd imagine that the hdmi would be more relyable, as sdi has to piggy back the digital output from the mpeg decoder which was only intended to be terminated at one place (the dac), it's a bit like trying to run 2 printers off one parrell port.

4. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do believe that SDI does some things that HDMI can't do and by so, make it a purer signal than HDMI.

Of course SDI only is useful if you have an external video processor...

In the progressive scan forum you will get a better answer....

5. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    To date we have never had a single reliabilty issue with SDI and we are at 50 mods and counting.....

I would like to know if when HDMI is outputting YCbCr is it actually taking YCbCr from the DVD running an RGB colour space conversion and then back to YCbCr??? Just always wondered....

And how many people have had compatability issues with HDMI and HDCP thats a much bigger issue than reliability!!!

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use a SDI player & reliability hasn't been a problem for me :smashin:

7. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI,
    vonhosen: "The Arcam DV29 does allow interlaced output over HDMI but , correct me if I'm wrong , I don't think the DV79 does (or the denon 2910/3910 etc either)"

- Both DV79 and DV29 can output interlaced video over HDMI.

X3ELS: "I would like to know if when HDMI is outputting YCbCr is it actually taking YCbCr from the DVD running an RGB colour space conversion and then back to YCbCr??? Just always wondered...."

- If 'Digital Video' is set to 'YUV' then the HDMI output will give out the YCbCr 4:2:2 data stream provided by the MPEG decoder with no modification (i.e the same data you would get over SDI). This is for Arcam players, I couldn't say if others are the same.

The HDMI spec states that if YCbCr is supported by the analogue outputs, then it must also be supported by the HDMI, in addition to RGB 4:4:4, which is mandatory.
    HDMI can output YCbCr data in either 4:2:2 mode or 4:4:4 mode, and the spec allows either to be used. Therefore, it is possible that some products output YCbCr 4:4:4, which will involve 4:2:2 - 4:4:4 conversion, in which case you are no longer getting exactly what is on the disc.

Hope this helps
    Pete

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've never done one so i'm only going by theory, although i'd imagine that tiny things can make a difference as to whether it's relyable or not, so that's why you really need an experienced person to do an SDI install like yourself :)

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    When I plug my DV29 into my Sharp XV-Z201 projector via HDMI the DV29 automatically sets itself to output RGB via HDMI and does not allow me to change the setting. Does this mean that I am not seeing the picture as it is on the disc? Will this result in inferior picture quality? I would have thought that a full bandwidth digital RGB signal would be slightly superior to component.

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is what I understood, and if it is true, then the copy protection issue is a non-issue, also there are several players that have SDI output, Theta and BelCanto for instance... :rolleyes:

Would it be possible to make an HDMI output without sound, and would it then not imply major changes that way... :confused:

11. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crusty,
    "When I plug my DV29 into my Sharp XV-Z201 projector via HDMI the DV29 automatically sets itself to output RGB"
    - I understand this projector has a DVI input, not HDMI. In this situation the DVD player will configure itself in DVI mode, so it has to be RGB 4:4:4, since this is the only video format that DVI supports.
    There will be no perceptable loss of picture quality in this situation. It will not be any better than 4:2:2 though because the 4:2:2-4:4:4 conversion cannot add detail that was never there in the first place.

regards
    Peter

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Thanks, that's good to hear.