1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI v.s PDI with Dscaler or holo3d comparison

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rob.Screene, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    We're waiting for Jeff and Kryton on this one, but I'm still thinking of a)

If you don't have a holo3d, then b) is pretty much a no brainer if you have a 2GHz~ish CPU to run TomsMoComp?

a) SDI modded domestic DVD player.

+No crashes
    +Domestic player UI, not a windows app.
    +Totally chroma bug free
    +Ease of use - highest WAF?
    -No DVDautorefresh auto refresh rate switching with Dscaler, only if using holo3d GUI.
    --------------------------------------------------
    b) Xcard and "PDI" parallel digital ribbon to holo3d, bt878 or Connexant bt656 input header or chip pins.
    +£400-£900 cheaper.
    +Can play ISO rips, DivX discs and nebula DVb digital tv recordings off hard disk.
    +All-in-one box, saves rack space.
    +Good ease of use WAF?

-Uses S/PDIF output off Xcard for DD/DTS audio to AV amp. Noticeable drop in quality?
    -Need to configure DVDregionKiller and Xcard player, in addition to Dscaler/holo3d and Girder for a single remote control.
    -Sigma accidentally stole Xvid opensource code and apologised, but haven't to-date removed all their copyrights from such code. You'd be supporting them with a sale, so a tiny moral dilema. Especially as I think Tom Barry (TomsMoComp) was agrieved about it.

c) Software player, like TheaterTek.
    +/-£100 cheaper than b) but needs to £100 sound card to perform!
    +Disk bookmark autostart feature.
    +Nice player on-screen graphics.
    -DirectShow occasional pan judder or ReClock sound stutter.
    -Software lock issues when hardware changed.
    -Occasional windows message or if disk ejected without shutting player, or if something else has sound or overlay locked, like Dscaler on startup.

Any other comments on the difference?

Any news Jeff!!!!? (yes we're excited!)

regards,
    Rob.

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Rob - nice summary!

There should be some kind of autorefresh type functionality in the next release of DScaler, I think the code is in CVS I just need to test it.

On b) I think the chroma bug should probably be added as a negative but the importance of that is possibly overstated in importance if you're feeding a holo3d or have enough grunt to run the DScaler Chroma filter.

John