1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI upgrade of Denon A11

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davsdu, Sep 15, 2005.

1. davsdu

davsdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm thinking about doing a SDI upgrade on my Denon A11 (costs a little more than £ 100) and then connect it to a DVDO scaler (when I get it).
    Is the upgrade worth the money?
    Would it be better, picture quality wise, if I got another - newer - model and performed the SDI upgrade on that new machine?

Thanks in advance!

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No this will deliver a fantastic picture via SDI. It does have chroma issues but then the DVDO will filter those out for you. Also this will get rid of the MBE bug of the faroudja chipset. as with SDI the signal will no longer pass through the faroudja chip

SDI takes the pic straight from the mpeg decoder, so unless theres a machine with a far better mpeg decoder you want see much difference from a different machine, as long as the SDI mod is done right. A dodgy mod can look bad to say the least.
    Audio wise the A11 was rather good if i remember correctly so no real need to boost that. Having SDI is much the same as having HDMI (without the audio) although i think only the new pioneer 989 garentees that the signal passes from the MPEG decoder direct to the scaler with zero processing. Even the 868i had some processing done so was not a pure signal like SDI.

Maybe take a look at the pioneer 989avi, only other machine that would be a big upgrade would be the denon A1xv but then its cost is huge.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    £100 seems VERY cheap, doubt you would get much more than an SDI board for that.

4. davsdu

davsdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    its done by a private person here in Denmark and it includes service.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I just hope the board is okay, most decent SDI boards cost £100 in their own right and fitting is everything.

6. davsdu

davsdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dont worry, the installer comes highly recommended by some of the most serious A/V dealers here in Denmark :)