1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI to HDMI - where can I get cheap converter?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Robinson, Oct 1, 2005.

1. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I modified my Sky box ages ago to provide SDI output, which I use to feed a home built SDI-analogue converter. All the usual advantages - no Macrovision, S-video and RGB simultaneously, component out, no switching to composite on pressing 'TV' on the Sky handset, widescreen signalling, etc. etc.

I have just acquired a Sony V40 LCD that has HDMI in. So all I need is an SDI to HDMI converter and I can get rid of analogue altogether. But I can't find one. Surely I don't have to build this too? :mad:

The only ones that come up on Google cost $1000+ and include scaling. I don't need scaling - I already have that inside the Sony TV. I just need the physical adaptor.

Any ideas on sources of supply? :lease:

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I can't answer your question, but if you don't mind I'm going to ask why you'd want to do that in the first place. Surely the overcompressed image quality from Sky isn't worth dedicating your one Digital input to?

3. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know what you mean Lyris, but the majority of my viewing is still on BBC1, BBC2 and C4 as it's always been, so although the Sky feeds are over compressed, until the revolution when we get HDTV they're the best available. Of course there's no guarantee that the HDTV transmissions won't be over compressed too.

It's always good in theory to get rid of digital-analogue and analogue-digital conversions. Each conversion adds some quantising noise. OK, the difference may turn out to be marginal but if the cost is reasonable I'd like to try it. If in the future I get more HDMI sources I can always use some kind of switch.

I've been trying to find out how HDMI physically works, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. Of course DVI would be just as good, as DVI to HDMI connectors are readily available and cheap.