1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI Sky box and plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markbigears, Feb 3, 2005.

1. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can someone please point out the obvious to me. How does the signal from said box get to your plasma, i mean what connector do you need on the plasma? the only plasma ive seen with a SDI in is a delphi, Cheers guys

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny 7 series list an SDi board, But usually SDi goes to a good scaler which then feeds display

3. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi HD, ok so it goes to a scaler "and then feeds the display". But how does it do that? via a digital connector? DVI HDMI, do you see what im getting at?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SDi is a single BNC cable that goes to scaler SDI input (for most scalers SDi is an optional extra) then you feed the display however you want (digital is preferable) but that depends on you panel and scaler DVi is what most set-up use but as long as the scaler can do it you could use RGBHV......seeing as you have a 42" PA20 you cant use digital so perhaps RGBHV (VGA on front panel :rolleyes: ) or component are your only options really RGBHV would be better but may look a bit messy, and i am pretty sure the only way to by-pass the panels internal processor on a PA20 is via VGA input and possible not completey possible to bypass so the investment in an SDi mod £250+ and a capable scaler (about £1000) will be limited on your plasma..........should get quite an improvement but perhaps not as much as if you had a PW style plasma.

5. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    so would I be able to view sky SDI on my panel..... should have asked this in the first place!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes with an SDi Scaler, i would sheck this with a scaler dealer who has SDi experience, as there are a few bugs being ironed out at the moment, and the connection to your PA20 may not be simple.....you wont get the true digital pathway as screen has no digital input (lumagen DVi with SDi mod, Iscan HD with SDi mod, Cinematiq with SDi mod)