1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yesterday I finally got to try my SDI setup, the hardware is a PC (Kryton), DScaler SDI PC card, Kramer FC 4045 converter and a Sky + box. I had the Sky box connected to the Kramer via a Scart - 4 BNC cable (a Gordon special) and I had the Kramer outputting svideo and SDI (it converts to all outputs simultaneously). The SDI PC card has SDI, svideo and 3 composite inputs. Going from Sky+ (RGB) - Kramer - PC(Svideo) works fine. With SDI I get a picture, but with some problems. I getting some kind of snow effect and bursts of green or blue horizontal lines. After a few minutes the picture further breaks up with vertical strips and then the picture will freeze. The clarity of the picture behind this noise is very nice indeed, so if I can fix this problem it looks like a winner. The most likely cause of this problem is the SDI input card, since it is a modded card rather than something sold off the shelf. Unfortunately I'm currently missing the manual for the Kramer so it is possible that the dip switches at the back might do something. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

It sounds like it might be a sync problem. I wonder if one of the DIP switches goes between PAL and NTSC SDI. Have you tried the system with a DVD player and a R1 DVD?

Also remember that the SDI card and software hasn't really been tested with PAL SDI so there may be a problem. Autodetect might not work with SDI for example.

John

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    John,

The format select is automatic on the Kramer, I can also get it to convert PAL to NTSC. I did notice that the format autoselect on DScaler (using SDI) didn't work and that I did have to select PAL. Apart from the noise, 95% of the picture looks great. I'll have a go with some NTSC sources tonight. There are a couple of PAL users that have had some success with the card, but it looks like there are some stability problems anyway. Dan has also suggested a couple of things that I will try (moveing to different PCI slot and bi-passing his internal SDI cable).

Thanks,

Jeff

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

We should be able to get the autodetect working again once you get yours set up. I'm waiting with baited breth for your results as I have an SDI card sitting idly in a box waiting....

I'd also be interested what sort of picture you get with NTSC selected in Dscaler.

Dan's thoughts about slots sound a bit straw cluching to me but it might be worth a try.

John

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm quite hopeful that bi-passing his BNC connector and internal cable will do the trick, it seems that there maybe some sort of grounding issue with the card. Gordon has put some BNC - RCA adapters in the post for me so hopefully I'll be able to try this out tomorrow or over the W/E. What is happening regarding the SDI code?, my understanding is that it hasn't been merged into the main project yet.

Jeff

6. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

You're description of the problem is certainly sounding like grounding/garbage cable type problems!

'snow' or 'zits' as they are called in the trade are always associated with timing errors in SDI.

Green and usually magenta or blue errors indicate corrupt data blocks.

The signal must be getting pretty bad to cause this level of error, so if there is a dodgy, or potentially dodgy, cable that is a good starting point.

If you start to think it's the sources, let me know. I'm sure I can lay my hands on some SDI kit to verify what's working and whats not.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Richard,

I would sure appreciate it if you could come and take a look, most of this stuff is way over my head, but I can't resist giving it a go. You could also take a look at the Kramer and let me know what you think, I'm quite impressed (as long as its not causing this fault). If you have a free evening coming up and don't mind popping over please send me an email and let me know when is good for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff@Yerkess.com

8. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Regarding the SDI code. Yes Dan had made a special version which has the code to switch channels on the SDI card and that's what he ships from his site.

I've started the process of integrating the code into the main 4.0.0 code which is coming along nicely. I had a quick test the other day with my SDI card and it wasn't working properly so I need to spend a biy more time looking at it, I would expect that I should be able to get it working fairly quickly it is just a question of finding the time. I'm off next week but I may be able to get a test version of 4.0.0 for you to test in mid-Feb.

It would be nice if we could resolve the autodetect issues as well as anything else that crops up.

Regarding the noise problems, Richard may have hit it, the internal cable on mine did look a bit naff so bypassing it may improve things. Although it's odd that more people haven't complained as any noise should effect PAL amd NTSC similarly.

John

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I had a quick go with a standalone DVD playing Fifth Element superbit (R1), same problem. So at least you know its not a PAL problem.

Cheers,

Jeff

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I now have bypassed the internal cable and it is much better but I'm still seeing some snow and coloured line bursts. I have ordered a new TUSL2-M mobo, hopefuuly that will clean up the rest of the problem. At least the card is stable now, no restarts required yet.

Jeff