1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI or Firewire

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Alaric, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi there,

I've just picked up a Barco Graphics 6300 Digital Light Cannon....its a 1024x768 3 chip lcd machine....However it has a SDI and a Firewire (???) input

Anyway of using these from a HTPC ????

I'm curently running a radeon 8500, with X-card, PDI and Dscaler, using the radeons VGA output....but keeping things digital should be better, its just getting the output !

Ta,
    Lee

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Lee,

If the projector does not have RGBHV or DVI, then maybe SDI is the only way to go.

SDI mods that people are fitting in Sky+ boxes and DVD players are picking up PDI data from the Mpeg chip, and converting the PDI (parallel) to SDI (serial) to go down a piece of coax to a scaler or capture card with SDI input etc.

You already have PDI in the HTPC on the Xcard, so just fit a bog standard SDI mod kit to the Xcard PDI pins.
    (No need for PDI capture card or Dscaler, you will just be outputting SDI. The projector will have an internal scaler to convert SDI to drive the 3 LCD panels)

You should then have an SDI output from the HTPC. :smoke:

Maybe check the projector works first though before modding the PC. See if you can borrow an SDI DVD player?

You could have the first SDI output HTPC in Europe, maybe the world :D

(Not tried this with the Xcard, but should work)

Have you just one of these projectors ;)

Good luck,

Mark.

3. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi There,

The 6300 has lots of inputs, Composite, S-video, RGBHV, a Monitor style 17pin VGA d-sub, Firewire & SDI...quite comprehensive for 4 years ago....I guess DVI wasn't really about then !

SDI mod to the X-card....There isn't a PC SDI card then...Shame. The firewire is curious too....i guess that i could link my dv cam direct via this, but thats about all. I do have a Firewire card in another PC, but i don't think i've heard of squirting the graphics output down it !

SDI stright from the X-card, won't that mean i'll miss the PC scaling though, which from my CRT expiriance was the whole point of using the PC anyway ?

As for projectors, i only have the one LCD....my aim is to run it in conjunction with my BG801s for jobs i don't want to ruin the CRT for...eg games, TV and less tight light constraints. I do also have a BD800, with full set of spare cards and origional service manual which i aim to sell cheaply soon !

Cya,
    Lee (not a dealer, just a weakness for buying barco's)

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Lee,

If the projector has RGBHV input then just use a Radeon with dual outputs for a start.
    The DVI output used with DVI to VGA adapter often looks 'better' than the normal VGA output connector, because there are no filters on the DVI port data lines (not many people know that yet)

Never seen a PC SDI output card, but the Xcard looks the easy option to mod. This would not require any extra drivers etc, as the Xcard software would not know the difference, it is just outputing data to an Mpeg chip, you are just collecting that data with a cheap little SDI PCB mod, rather than connecting to the PDI capture card.

The scaler in the projector will be designed to scale the SDI input to drive the LCD panels. Might not be as good as scaling within the PC with theatertek etc then sending RGBHV to projector.

So the cheap option is a dual output radeon.

Not sure if the quality suffers though if both outputs are used together on a Radeon?

Might be better on the newer Radeons?

Twin Barco's, you must be loaded :D

Mark.

5. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi there,

Oooh Interesting about the DVI -> VGA being potentialy cleaner, never thought about that.

While I'd have two items connected to the Radeon, i wouldn't ever be using both at the same time...the BG6300 for games/TV and the BG801s for films. Basicaly beacuse the 801s i have is in excelent condition (low hours, clean tubes...Nordfileds old one) and i want to keep it that way...Games with fixed graphics or TV with station Logos are not a good thing to run on a CRT. So i'd have two profiles in the ATI switcher. I used to do this when my HTPC was my main computer and had my monitor connected to one and a different BD800 connected to the other. The picture is better with only one output in use.

I'm curious about the SDI X-card mod....where does one buy one of the kits ??? Though i guess i couldn't split the X-cards output two ways as the PDI card i have does produce a nice picture via dscaler.

Two barcos....Three you mean, the LCD is also a barco !

However they are all second hand and we all know the price drop from new to 2nd hand for these machines (Think the BD800 was best part of 30K when first released!!!!! The BG801s near 20K and the BG6300 round 10K and that was only 4 years ago !!!)

cya,
    Lee

6. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :clap: :clap: that's me:clap: :clap::clap: