1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sdi on a plasma question.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by the klang, Mar 7, 2005.

1. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for looking.
    just been looking at a company that can fit a SDI output to my pioneer 747 and then looked at the DVDO-ISCANplus which also has a SDI input upgrade.
    my questions are these..
    1. if the digital signal from a sdi output of a dvd player can go to the iscan,dose the iscan internally convert it to analog and out to the plasma?(going on the bassis the iscan will do a better job than the dvd player in converting the signal).
    2. to keep the signal digital from the dvd player through the iscan and on to the plasma,can i get a sdi input fitted to my old plasma(pioneer pdp-502mxe)?
    any help would be great. :lease:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    1. The scaler can convert a digital SDI input to analogue for output, or you could go digital via DVI to the plasma.
    2. The only plasma screens I know of that you can get an SDI card for are the Panasonic series 7 screens. I think your best bet for going digital to the plasma would be DVI.

Mark.

3. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if the scaler can output an analog signal to the screen then great!.but my problem with the screen lies with the fact that the screen has no digital inputs at all.you can get a DVI-I to mini d-sub that can handle analog but not DVI-D which is digital only.thats why i need a sdi input for the screen.knowing my luck this is only possible on the dessert planet of dune.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    getting an sdi input card for the 502 would be a waste of time....The de-interlacing in an external processor would outperform that inside the plasma anyway....go sdi to scaler (there are other options to Iscan you know....hahahaha) then RGBHV to the HD15(PC/VGA) input.

gordon

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    to be honest I'm not that impressed with SDI on the IScan, motion with PAL is not very smooth, unlike RGBS which really is, SDI is very clean and detailed though (on IScan)

6. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello gordon,i am starting to give up on my old PDP 502MXE and get a panasonic ae700 simply because of its HDMI input and native resolution.if you had my screen how would you feed it to get the best out of it?HCPC?a scaler or a device to disable the hdcp before the scaler to let me output from the DVI-I to a converter (mini-dsub)?any words of wisdom would be tattooed on my forehead for the entire world to see!

7. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    chris5,what you running the iscan from?and what to?

8. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Chris,

I find that DVD output (480i/576i) is much nicer even than component from my Arcam DV88+. Motion should be completely unaffected. Are you sure you haven't got something "wrong"?

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I'm running SDI from a sky+ box, some stuff is less smooth than others, the worst stuff tends to be the stuff that breaks up if you dont set film mode to OFF.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Chris, are you not going to get this sorted - still sounds wrong to me...dont' think I could live with that... :(

JJ

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    I think Chris is seeing the issue that the some sil based units have with distinguishing video from film. This causes a sort of slow down...it's actually frame dropping, and manifests itself as what looks like a juddery slow mo mage for a second or two. Forcing video mode stops it.

The Klang: If you email me I can see if there is anyone near you who can show you a scaler on your display if that's any use. It's a tricky one as it has a native refresh around 70Hz...

Gordon

12. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Its a bit like as though RGBS is like a smoothly flowing Panasonic plasma and SDI is like a non flowing Pioneer Plasma, you don't seem to get the in-between frames with some SDI footage, where as with RGBS you seem to get these extra 'hint' frames with RGBS that I assume are conjured up by the scaler.

By the way JJ, I have now fixed my major SDI problem (see other threads). It turns out I was lying, I had not set Film Mode to OFF after all :blush:

13. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Cool, at least you seem to be moving ahead...

JJ

14. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks JJ, is that film mode good for anything, or just there to waste everyones time?