1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI modification

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ian-500, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ian-500

ian-500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A quick question people, :smashin:

a friend of mine has a Denon 2910 sending a 720p signal via dvi to his Benq 8700+. What difference would he see if he bought a Phillps 963sa(I think)and an Iscan HD+ that both had the SDI modification? Anything at all? Slight difference? Massive difference?

Any info would be much appreciated. :D

Regards,

Ian.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    To my eyes the difference would be massive, and I saw that ad in the classifieds too and have to say it's quite a bargain!! To some the 2910 is good enough, it's a clean digital signal running the native res of the projector. But using a dedicated processor, and the fantastic SDI output of the Philips, is another step up again in detail and depth of image.

Plus you're mate will also get to run digital TV through it which will be a massive step up in performance over TV direct to the projector.

3. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Are SDI mods generally still worth it? The very soon to come new Pioneer flagship DVD player is going to add a "pure direct" output mode to give out 480i without any further processing over HDMI. Shouldn't that be more or less similar to SDI quality?

Btw, what is that classifieds ad about?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Looked a good price to me as well :)

I currently have an HDMI equipped player (with 480i / 576i) output capability via HDMI, when plugged into a new monitor (HDMI) I think I prefer the SDI link that has been attached to this player. Can't explain why, in theory.... :eek: .As I use CRT front projector for most of my serious viewing and I have been unable to crack the Arcam yet, SDI rules here, but that is also so on the HDMI panel.

5. ian-500

ian-500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don se how..the SDI signal from the Philips is the best SDI picture around at the moment...well so says Liam and me anyway..

buy wiv confidence

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    SDI is the only gauranteed route to processing free output from a DVD player, and yes the Philips is quite unstoppable in this regard! With any half decent SDI input scaler the picture is going to be showstopping.

I hope the Pioneer works, and gives other manufacturers clues on how to do this as the only drawback of SDI I can think of is the warranty issue. I only know one manufacturer that offer SDI as a simple plug-in card (Primare). A totally clean HDMI output would avoid warranty issues (although unfortunately retains copyright issues).

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Out of interest,how does a SDI picture compare to a dvd playing through a HTPC?

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    This is down to the quality of the SDI modded DVD player and the quality of the scaler, versus the quality of build of the HCPC. It's a bit like asking how does DVD compare to DVD!

But I must say I don't think I've seen better than a good scaler fed SDI from a good DVD player. TBH it is usually the other "media centre" type functions that would put a HCPC over a video processor solution

10. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The computer's ahem'quirkiness' is a tad annoying.Freezes,lock-ups,and it's not like a dvd just put in and play,if I tweak anymore i'll go blind!I can't remember the last time i just watched a film.......

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    That is pretty much the number one reason for getting a scaler. It just works. End of.

Based in Kent?? I can show you SDI into a Lumagen if you like. Or just take Dilshers word for it!!! It is the ultimate picture.

12. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yeah I am in Biggin Hill Liam,You may remember me bought my plasma off you at'other place.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL so did a lot of people!! I do remember a HT200dm though, not a lot of people with those.

14. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Haha I know I can't get rid of it!!Haha,would lurve a nice shiny H79 though.....

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hmmm a H79 and a Lumagen.... 720p to both displays.... jaw-dropping image.... :D

16. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    wallet busting price...:(

17. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Well have to say - SDI modded Philips DVD only bettered by a SDI modded Denon 2900, fed into a Cinemateq then to a Pioneer 43MXE1.

Actually I've never seen the Philips/Lumagen combi so I'm only guessing ;) . But the Denon/Cinemateq is great PQ. The point is a good DVD player , well modded for SDI and fed through a good scaler is as good as it gets PQ wise until HD comes along (and maybe even then??). And the display matters too.

18. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    STOP! STOP!

Now this is getting me thinking about scalers,new projectors,,aaarrrrggghhh!!
    I have resisted upgradeitus for ages,then this happens.......

The missus is gonna kill me.........

19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well if you want the best....

20. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Would it be worth getting my the pany S97 SDI modded?

I just bought a H79, should be here this week, didnt have the patience to wait for a 1080p based projector (or the need just yet) so i am looking out for a scaler now but dont know if i should wait for somthing from lumagen that is HQV based? or should i just get a current model and upgrade to a higher spec unit once we have more reasons for 1080i/p.

21. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Liam, I think we've touched on this before. However, from what you've seen of the PHD8 thus far, do you think it would be wise for me to SDI mod my arcam dv27a?

The SDI connection could either go straight into an SDI terminal board or a suitable scaler. What would be the scaler output (HDMI/component/SDI)?

I had intended to connect the dv27a via component to the integral VGA.

This assumes I actually purchase a PHD8! :D

cheers

mark

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Re picture quality I felt the Philips 963 SDI was the one to beat, I think I was one of if not the first to write about it here. I have got now a Arcam DV29 SDI which I think I prefer for video (audio much much better). It looks more 3D and vibrant in colours to me. I love the former and recommend it to anyone but I ‘think' I will be living with the Arcam from now on (bye bye Tag and Philps). I know the MPEG decoder isn't in theory as good but I prefer the picture. :clap:

I would take the Philips over any Denon SDI I have seen / done (I have done 1600 and 3910 for my brother) and the two Pannys I have, 62 and 82s.

There is one player I am told is better again but I can't afford a 1.1 with twins :(

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think then the Panny players (97?)are great base machines to mod for piccy quality but it is the audio that disappoints me a little which is why I have moved on.

24. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I would certainly mod the Arcam if you want the best. I wouldn't bother if this is going SDI direct to the screen though, you will be bypassing all the processing in the Arcam!! This is a good thing when using a scaler, but not so when feeding direct to the plasma.

SDI in itself isn't a gaurantee of quality, it's a gaurantee of no loss. You still need the decent video processor to make the most from it.

Don't know about the S97 - but seems Nic does. I agree on the Denon 3910 comment, but until I see a 2900 SDI modded I'm holding comment as the 2900 was and still is the best player pound-for-pound Denon ever made. A1's are nice, but pricey (and Arcam is far better at that level). But the 2900 really was a gem.

25. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have never seen the 2900 modded but it remains my favourite Denon as well but I felt the 3910 wasn't entirely sucessful as an SDI player. The 1600 was a cheap as chip Panny clone with better sound from memory so wasn't to bad but it ain't a 963.

I gave my 97 away, a decision I have always regretted but I think I have seen somewhere someone modding it.

Can anyone explain why SDI appears to be better than interlaced through HDMI?

26. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    HDMI still goes through the video processing portion of the DVD player, even if it isn't being deinterlaced. So it still gets what the DVD player thinks are improvements to the signal hence it is not as pure as SDI which literally hacks itself straight onto the MPEG decoder of the player. (an example is the Philips colour filters and other functions on the 963 - using SDI these settings make no difference whatsover, but do to interlaced output on the analogue side. I liken the same to interlaced HDMI output being post-filtering rather than pre-)

Perhaps Pioneers new Pure Direct mode for HDMI will be as good as SDI on their new 989....

27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks Liam, that makes lots more sence, it is pure but not that pure. Interesting to see what the new Pioneer does then. At least I am not blind then :)

28. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Exactly, pure in the sense it hasn't been interlaced or converted to analogue, but unpure in the sense it has gone through something!

[why didn't I just say it that way in the first place LOL!]