SDI modded Denon 2900 or Pioneer 868avi?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zAndy1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,952
    Hi,
    Looking for a new dvd player, want a universal player that does dvd-audio and sacd. I have the chance to get an SDI modded denon 2900 for a very good price but the Pioneer 868 also looks interesting and perhaps doesn't have the issues that the Denon does? I would be wanting to send the output from the dvd player to my Crystalio scaler via the DVI input, I presume the Pioneer can output 480i and 576i via the HDMI output and using an HDMI -> DVI cable will allow me to connect that to the Crystalio? In theory I suppose the SDI output of the Denon is superior to the HDMI output of the pioneer but there's not going to be much in it surely so what should I be looking at to sway my decision one way or another? Any issues with HDCP at all?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes..! HDMI has HDCP, Crystalio does not... I would stick with SDI if you intend to use non-HDCP components...

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,952
    Hi,
    Granted in the short term if HDMI has HDCP then that's a problem, the Crystalio can be upgraded to HDCP though so it's not a long term issue. I just read about so many problems with Denon dvd players I really wonder if they're worth the risk!

Cheers,
    Andy.