1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDI modded Denon 2900 or Pioneer 868avi?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zAndy1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Hi,
    Looking for a new dvd player, want a universal player that does dvd-audio and sacd. I have the chance to get an SDI modded denon 2900 for a very good price but the Pioneer 868 also looks interesting and perhaps doesn't have the issues that the Denon does? I would be wanting to send the output from the dvd player to my Crystalio scaler via the DVI input, I presume the Pioneer can output 480i and 576i via the HDMI output and using an HDMI -> DVI cable will allow me to connect that to the Crystalio? In theory I suppose the SDI output of the Denon is superior to the HDMI output of the pioneer but there's not going to be much in it surely so what should I be looking at to sway my decision one way or another? Any issues with HDCP at all?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes..! HDMI has HDCP, Crystalio does not... I would stick with SDI if you intend to use non-HDCP components...

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Hi,
    Granted in the short term if HDMI has HDCP then that's a problem, the Crystalio can be upgraded to HDCP though so it's not a long term issue. I just read about so many problems with Denon dvd players I really wonder if they're worth the risk!

Cheers,
    Andy.