SDI from NTL Digital Cable Box

Theta Carmen and DaViD both offer SDI thro' Theta themselves, not sure whether they're Chroma free tho'.

Jeff is the Denon 1600 chroma free? That would probably sound better than the panny?

The X-Card PDI route may be the best bet with an RME soundcard for PQ/SQ

Steve

The Denon 1600 is a rebadged Panny with a few mods. Whether or not its better or much better remains to be seen. The Denon 3300 is also chroma bug free, it should be fairly good audio wise.

I would be interested in this, but:

How would you install it? Does is just slot into the port on the back of the Digibox?

What other cards apart from H3D have an SDI input? Is there any easy way to convert SDI to DVI?

The X-Card PDI route may be the best bet with an RME soundcard for PQ/SQ

On its own the X-card sounds really horrible. A step backwards. Not sure if a RME could do enough to improve it.

Andy

Two questions :

Can you capture via SDI? In digital?

How much cable run can you have?

If someone had the pinouts it looks easy(ish) to mod yourself, I can see me spending all weekend with the lid off my digibox poking around :)

If it was Sky you wanted to capture then keeping it stored on sky + would be easiest, as this stores the picture and sound. SDI is just picture.

As for cable lengths, SDI is a broadcast standard, so is capable of long runs.

Let us know how the poking around goes, may have a poke with my sky + aswell

That link wasn't to the guys I was speaking with. They are a development company. They would sell me one or two for test purposes then you area talking twenty at a time. I think the cost was greater than that linked price anyway. They did have working units on Sky Plus and terrestrial digital STB's though.

I can't get around to this justnow so I'll try adn dig the link out and post it for someone to take up the batton. They will only deal with commerical organisations though. It seems they were getting lots of folk wanting to buy one board at a time! hahahaha

Gordon

Gordon,

I'm happy to be your deputy on this if you are pushed for time, would be nice to get those one or two for test purposes to see if this is worth drumming up some interest....

Good excuse to get a H3D of sdisilk card anyway, which means i'll have to get the xcard aswell- :clap: :clap:

The Xcard s/pdif DD5.1 and DTS sounds fine through my Denon A10SE THX amp.

Maybe the gold plating is wearing from my ears these days, and they were probably never as good as truly golden ears anyway.

I've not a/b tested it against the Audiophile 2496, but it certainly sounds better than TheaterTek+ReClock+Audiophile2496 s/pdif because of the occasional dolby5.1 packet repeats to keep video from stuttering.

I'd probably not use the Xcard for CD audio, although I think the Jove player front-end is required to do that?

regards,
Rob.

I have an old Toshiba 2109 (somet like that), a Philips 963sa and a Revo. The X-card is more akin to the Toshiba than the other two IMO. And neither of these are exactly high-end. There is nothing particularly wrong with it in isloation, but I think things have moved on a bit. To me sounds seem to stick in the speakers rather than panning around them (if you see what I mean), and the sound seems more recessed. Still, each to his own. ;) Perhaps I'm being overly fussy. It wasn't exactly expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom