SDHC card and the USB Reader device it's inserted into

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Foebane72, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I'm using a Sandisk SDHC card (32Gb) for keeping a copy of my data, and I have it always inserted into an Integral USB SD card reader - should I not take it out each time?

I figure there'd be stress on the card as about half of it pokes out the top, but I store it carefully in a cool, dark place, and I would've thought plugging and unplugging risks damage to the connector and risk of static electricity damage if the metal part of the card is touched.

So should I leave the SD card plugged into the USB reader? It's quite handy and convenient that way.

2. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    What I mean is something like in the photo on this webpage:

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

As you can see, the card is plugged into the reader device so it can be read by a USB connection without the camera it usually connects into. But is it only meant to be used like this temporarily and then the card taken out and put away safely, or can it be kept plugged in constantly?

3. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    It wouldn't bother me leaving the card plugged in permanently.

As I've read your other thread on HDs, I'm not sure I would be using flash memory for long term archiving: unless you are buying very high quality flash memory.

4. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've changed my mind about the HDD as it wouldn't justify the cost, but I am now using Verbatim DVD+Rs to back up my data on multiple copies, and the Flash SD card is still being used as an up-to-date backup device. Thanks for your advice.