• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sd700 settings.

• Thread starter Deleted member 480461
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 480461

Are there any particular settings I should be using with my sd700?
I recorded some video and imported into final cut express. When I export the clip as QuickTime the resulting video has jagged edges and the frame rate doesn't seem very good.

I try viewing the raw clip in VLC player and the frame rate is better but the jagged edges are still there.

Any advice?

rogs

I'm guessing you're recording interlaced footage?

If so, try 'Video - de-interlace - on' with VLC player.

Sorry, I have virtually no idea about the 'Mac' aspect of things. I have heard that conversion to AIC can cause a drop in quality, although Apple's ProRes gets a good press.

Does Final Cut Express use AIC or Pro-res as an intermediate format?

rob12770

Banned
Are there any particular settings I should be using with my sd700?
I recorded some video and imported into final cut express. When I export the clip as QuickTime the resulting video has jagged edges and the frame rate doesn't seem very good.

I try viewing the raw clip in VLC player and the frame rate is better but the jagged edges are still there.

Any advice?

when did you buy a mac ?:confused:

D

Deleted member 480461

Ive had a mac for around 7 months or so now!

13" MacBook pro, 2.66GHz Dual Core,
Upgraded the HDD to a Vertex 2 SSD - 240GB
Upgraded RAM from 4GB to 8GB

I take the odd video using my iPhone 4, and the quality is quite impressive. I use my iPhone to shoot the odd video for Youtube. Heres an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Emdvliiu7s

The video quality is quite good through my iPhone, but with the Panasonic SD700 (now Ive started to play with it!), Im disappointed.
I play back the footage through VLC player, and the image seems fine, but when moving around you can see small horizontal lines around the edges of objects, and the frame rate isnt very good either.
Imported the video to FCE, and then exported as Quicktime (without doing anything to the video) and I get the same?

Am I missing something??

Last edited by a moderator:

rogs

I play back the footage through VLC player, and the image seems fine, but when moving around you can see small horizontal lines around the edges of objects, and the frame rate isnt very good either.

Even with the de-interlacing turned on? :confused:

(VLC defaults to interlaced footage, so you have to tell it specifically to de-interlace.)

D

Deleted member 480461

Ah I didnt know that - I will try that in VLC player later.......

D

Deleted member 480461

Which De-interlacing setting do I use??

Its default was set to 'blend'??

Adama

Linear works best for me

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom