SD420 Brightness Control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lurkalot, Dec 6, 2002.

1. lurkalot

lurkalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, I'm new to all this so be gentle......

I've just received a Toshiba SD420 but on the couple of discs I've tried the picture is a little dark.

I can fix it by changing the brightness setting on the TV, but I have to change it back to watch anything else. Is there a way of adjusting the brightness level on the player itself? (BTW - It's connected via RGB).

I've tried searching previous threads but can find nothing relevant. However, I did notice a remote sequence that takes you to some sort of setup info on the SD220 - does the equivalent exist for the 420?

Lurkalot.

2. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello
    i posted the exact letter a couple of weeks ago about the 420 it is a little dark i went out a brought another scart which helps a little but its still not sorted
    i have to still turn up the brightness on the tv espically dark on only fools and horses and fawlty towers
    i wait to see any solutions/answers to your post

3. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats strange. I have the SD-420, and its perfect. I have the 0.5m cinamaxx flat scart lead(£20) using RGB signal.

I have never noticed a dark image, even on dark movies like panic room...

I dont see how a new scart would help.

What TV are you using ?

there might be a compatability problem.

Im using it on a Panasonic 32" PK25 Tau TV...(about 1 yr old now)

4. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tv is an old toshiba approx 5-6 years old (waiting 4 new w/s for xmas)
    the scart lead i used to use was old and cheap
    the new one is ok BUT the pictures still appear a little dark is there a menu on the dvd that will up the brightness
    apart from that everything ok with it

5. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... I dont see how the scart would make a huge difference.

I would be tempted to say its a compatability problem.

Have you got another TV that you can try it on. If you have the same problem, give toshiba a ring.

B.T.W
    try out different connection outputs, like s-video(if you do remember to flip the switch on the back panel.

6. lurkalot

lurkalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shaun,

I think there is a common theme here........

I'm using an old Toshiba (12+yrs) TV too. Won't be buying a new one until we've bought a bigger house to put it in!

I've done some playing tonight and I get exactly the same symptoms with the digibox as I do with the DVD - RGB is much darker than the composite output. Changing the leads to QED SQARTs makes no difference.

So the good news is that I think the SD 420 is fine - the bad new is that we need new TVs!!!!