Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SD420 Brightness Control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lurkalot, Dec 6, 2002.

1. lurkalot

lurkalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, I'm new to all this so be gentle......

I've just received a Toshiba SD420 but on the couple of discs I've tried the picture is a little dark.

I can fix it by changing the brightness setting on the TV, but I have to change it back to watch anything else. Is there a way of adjusting the brightness level on the player itself? (BTW - It's connected via RGB).

I've tried searching previous threads but can find nothing relevant. However, I did notice a remote sequence that takes you to some sort of setup info on the SD220 - does the equivalent exist for the 420?

Lurkalot.

2. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello
    i posted the exact letter a couple of weeks ago about the 420 it is a little dark i went out a brought another scart which helps a little but its still not sorted
    i have to still turn up the brightness on the tv espically dark on only fools and horses and fawlty towers
    i wait to see any solutions/answers to your post

3. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats strange. I have the SD-420, and its perfect. I have the 0.5m cinamaxx flat scart lead(£20) using RGB signal.

I have never noticed a dark image, even on dark movies like panic room...

I dont see how a new scart would help.

What TV are you using ?

there might be a compatability problem.

Im using it on a Panasonic 32" PK25 Tau TV...(about 1 yr old now)

4. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tv is an old toshiba approx 5-6 years old (waiting 4 new w/s for xmas)
    the scart lead i used to use was old and cheap
    the new one is ok BUT the pictures still appear a little dark is there a menu on the dvd that will up the brightness
    apart from that everything ok with it

5. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... I dont see how the scart would make a huge difference.

I would be tempted to say its a compatability problem.

Have you got another TV that you can try it on. If you have the same problem, give toshiba a ring.

B.T.W
    try out different connection outputs, like s-video(if you do remember to flip the switch on the back panel.

6. lurkalot

lurkalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shaun,

I think there is a common theme here........

I'm using an old Toshiba (12+yrs) TV too. Won't be buying a new one until we've bought a bigger house to put it in!

I've done some playing tonight and I get exactly the same symptoms with the digibox as I do with the DVD - RGB is much darker than the composite output. Changing the leads to QED SQARTs makes no difference.

So the good news is that I think the SD 420 is fine - the bad new is that we need new TVs!!!!