1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD vs HD and 7th vs 8th Gen...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Slimline, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been a lurker on the forum for a long time and am now decided that I will either buy the PWD7 or the pv500 in the next fortnight, or else wait for the 8th-gen monitors in the autumn. I would really appreciate some brief advice from the likes of MAW, Horney and the other experts.

I will never own Sky+, and rarely watch TV, so my use will be almost all DVD. I know there are scaling issues with blowing SD material up onto an HD screen. I also note that some people have said on the forum that the PWD7 was a step backwards from the PWD6.

My questions are:

- Is a regular PAL DVD picture better or worse on HD than on SD?

- Is the 8th gen screen noticably better than the 7th?

If HD really has it over SD, I guess I'll buy the pv500. But that's a lot of cash. If SD is as good as (or even better than) HD for low-rez inputs, I might wait for the PWD8 in the Autumn. If the PWD8 won't be all that much more special than the PWD7, then I might as well buy one of those today and get this whole business over with. :(

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS have gazed at the PWD7 at Richer Sounds, and it looked good. The HD Pio PDP435 looked good too - but they only had cartoons, and I gather it's difficult to tell with cartoons what live action is going to look like. The PWD7 has a fairly noticeable screen door - is the pv500 a lot better on that score?

2. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have watched SD from Freeview and DVD's on the PV500 and on a PWD7. There is little difference. Yes PV500 is 'sharper' but to many this just increases the pixels and jaggies. It is a matter of taste.

If you are sensible the price difference makes this a silly question. Stick with the PWD7. Like many others here I am sucked along with the desire to have the latest and greatest.

None of us can judge it with HD, there ain't non to watch.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Not one of the experts really, but I'm a little confused by your logic.

As far as I understand it, the PW8D - when it comes out - is expected to be the same 'HD' screen spec as the PV500. The way in which it will differ from the PV500 will be the absence of speakers and tuner (and hopefully about 3 inches of bezel all around!)

I think I'm right in saying that the choices among the Pannys are:
    SD - PE50 (if you want speakers, connections and tuner built in) or PWD7 (if you want a 'bare' panel)
    HD - PV500 (if you want speakers, connections and tuner built in) or PWD8 (for the panel, only).

The issue for me was that buying the SD Pannys cuts off some future technology which ultimately may not be used just by Sky. I've decided on an 'HD ready' screen and consider the £extra like an insurance policy to prolong the lifespan of the screen for a while. Up to a point, the 'extra' pixels are neither here nor there, but I guess I'd rather have them than not, if they don't decrease the PQ when watching SD. The decision for me now - assuming I stick with a Panny - is whether to go for the PV500 to make life simple for the wife & kids if they want to just watch TV, or get the PWD8 and have a 'cleaner' more minimalist panel on the wall (which will hopefully be a bit cheaper too).

Saying that, if the new HD Samsungs turn out to be in the same ballpark for PQ as the Pannys then my money could well go there, sooner rather than later.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just to point out to every one
    42PWD7 = 852x480 SD
    42PHD7 = 1024x768 not "HD Ready"

42PWD8 = 852x480 SD
    42PHD8 = 1024x768 "HD Ready"

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I thought the 42PE50 and 42PV500 already had the D8 panels ? One being SD and the other HD.

The commercial panel only versions come out later.

6. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Horny how certain are you that the PHD8 will be 1024 x 768 and not 1024 x 720

7. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That´s not correct. There ain´t any HD on TV here in europe, that´s correct. But there are some WMV-HDs available for sale and *ahem* those TV rips of US Shows like 24, Enterprise etc. (I mean the real HDTV transport streams)

Judging from the HD material that I have, the PV500 performs really really well with HDTV. It´s absolutely stunning. :clap:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    nicke well as the PHD8 is the panel version of the PV500 which is 1024x768 i am 99% certain its will stay at 1024x768 (42" sizes) and HD is available and has been for over a year in the UK

9. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you believe The rumours are out already on the 9 series? :D The rumour is the 9 series 50" will be 1920X1080 native res and will be available this time next year in the states! This is obviously just made,speculation up but some American forums read like a pychics convention :rotfl:

10. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds very unlikely. (especially the native 1080 resolution)

11. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far. I think you're a bit confused, theo - the choices I believe are:

8th gen HD available now pv500
    8th gen SD available in the autumn PWHD8
    7th gen SD available now PWD7
    7th gen HD available now PWHD7

If I were going for HD, I would buy the pv500 for the 8th gen screen, but thanks to Mr Eddy's advice I think I might get the PWD7 now rather than wait. Does anybody feel differently about the difference between SD and HD with standard source material?

Anybody think that the 8th gen screen is so much better than the 7th that it's worth paying the extra for? Or have any comment on the alleged "step backwards" from PWD6 to PWD7 (I think it is still possible to buy the PWD6)?

By the way, I forgot to start by saying thanks very much to everybody who contributes to this forum - it's been a goldmine of information and much the best source that I've found on the internet. I really appreciate all the time you guys put in and the help you offer us noobs. Particularly the regulars like HorneyDragon, MAW and all the rest.

Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted.

12. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :nono:

Oh yes there is, dedicated sat 1080i station already doing it, lots of HD material available on the internet. :lesson:

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Er... not quite! Yes, the PV500 HD Vieras (starting to become available now) use a G8 screen, but the PWHD8 in the autumn will be the HD panel (no speakers)... I think there'll also be an SD panel, presumably called the PW8.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its PWD for SD and PHD for HD

15. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, how embarrassing - try again:
    8th gen HD available now pv500
    8th gen SD available in the autumn PHD8
    7th gen SD available now PWD7
    7th gen HD available now PHD7

But I've read the thread about the alleged new Sammy and it sounds like a contender - so perhaps I'll just hold off a few weeks and find out whether it's as good as it sounds like it might be...

16. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I think that's more like it, Slimline!

The other issue to bear in mind is that whilst the PWHD7 is HD resolution, it doesn't directly accept some HD signals - and needs an external scaler/converter to do so (the same is true for the SD PWD7). There is a question mark as to how long this will legitimately provide a workaround to this problem. This was one of the reasons why I decided to wait for one of the current crop of 'HD Ready' screens, good though the G7 panny screens are.

I think there would have to be a marked DROP in PQ between the 7 & 8 gen for this to outweigh the additional 'future proofing' the HD inputs provide and I've not heard any reports of this. (I'm also waiting for more info on the Samsung!)

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats more like it

18. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you, theo, though from what I've read there's actually not much difference to the naked eye between analogue composite inputs and DVI/HDMI. Opinion seems to be divided on this (as on everything!) but I think I'd be reasonably happy to rely on composite inputs. I guess it's down to two factors - price and impatience. The best value I can get without waiting six months seems to be the PWD7. But that Sammy might prove to be the missing link! I have been entirely convinced by the Panny enthusiasts on this board, but if they rate the HD Sammy then it could be the one to go for...

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I hope for the sake of your eyes you mean component......... :eek:

20. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

I give up!

I will learn to proof read before posting next time...

21. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide:

22. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Like Hornydragon says assuming you mean component...

I think the issue with analog component inputs is that it may not be possible to use them when HDCP starts to be widely deployed since this will enforce digital connections (ie HDMI/DVI) and there is no clear view that conversion to analog component in will be possible/legal. Doubtless someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen the PE50 & PV500 (and some LGs, Pioneers & Hitachis) in John Lewis and the Pannys do seem to be better, but you have to get through an awful lot of 'baggage' with the setups - from connections through to brightness/contrast etc settings which make true comparison very difficult to do.

My only experience of the PWD panels is the PWD6 which are hanging from the ceiling in my local Tesco advertising Tesco products to the masses and they look pretty competent, so I guess if I like the 7 series consumer screens, I should like the 7 series commercial panels nd presumably the same logic would apply to the 8 series ones too.

23. cosmo_k

cosmo_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone shed some light here? Will SD material look worse, as good or better on an HD-set compared to an SD-set?

24. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    cosmo_k

I think that decently scaled, SD material is capable of looking as good if not better on an HD screen. I think some reviews of Pioneer screens suggest that they don't handle SD very well, but are great with HD material. The reports I've read here about the PV500 seems to indicate it doesn't have this problem.

25. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that with the PV500 you also need at least an "El cheapo external Scaler" like the Denon 1910 DVD-player offers... without scaling, the pq really suffers, although it´s still ok.

I guess the Panny behaves better than the Pio without an external scaler..