1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Plasma + Scaler vs HD Plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nheather, Sep 22, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    Wasn't sure whether this should be in the 'Scaler' or the 'Plasma' platform but decided that the scaler was key to the question so posted here.

I have budgetted for a good HD plasma (Pan PHD8 or Pio 436) but recently I have been considering another option (Pan PWD8 + Lumagen DVI).

So comaparing the PWD8 + Scaler with the PHD8 ....

Price is about the same
    I'm interested in HD eventually but I can't see me being an early adoptor because I'm not prepared to pay high prices for limited material.
    The screen will be 42" and will be viewed at a distance of 12 feet or more.
    Current source is Sky+ and DVD, both on SCART RGB.

SD
    I presume that the PWD8+Scaler will outperform the PHD8 - would the difference be significant? What sort of benifits would I see?

HD
    No idea which would perform best here. The PWD8 obviously doesn't have the resolution and although it can receive a 720P HDCP signal - but I guess the panel would have to do the scaling rather than the scaler. Also I am aware that Sky HD will be transmitted on analogue aswell (at least initially). Any views as to which would look best (at 12 feet).

BTW I can't go for a PHD8+Scaler because I am already pushing my budget further than planned.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I have gone for phd8+isf now, then saving for hd sources/scaler+re-isf next year when the bank balance has recovered. That way im future proofing, plus iirc the phd has better processing than a pwd anyway so should still look good with sd sources.