SD picture quality on SkyHD is less than normal Sky

red1028

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just upgraded from Sky to SkyHD, and the picture quality for SD programs is less than my previous Sky box (i.e. watching Open All Hours on UKTV). I've looked at the signal quality/strength through the 'Services' button on the remote control, then '4', then '6'. The bars are about 80%, but I don't know how that compares with my previous box. Can anyone answer:

1) Will going from a single LNB (I didn't have Sky+) to a quad LNB reduce the picture quality?
2) Is it possible the cable from the LNB (installed by a Sky engineer) is of a lesser quality than what was there previously (installed by a local independent engineer)?
3) Should I expect better quality (i.e. 100%, bar completely filled on the checks)?

I have a Sony KDL-40W2000 and Sony RDR-HXD860, and use QED gold plated award winning cables (What Hifi Sound & Vision 2006) for HDMI, Scart and F Plug. That produced fantastic picture quality with my old Sky digital box. Another example was that I found The Hogfather on SkyOne HD blocky and rubbish.

Cheers

I've just upgraded from Sky to SkyHD, and the picture quality for SD programs is less than my previous Sky box (i.e. watching Open All Hours on UKTV). I've looked at the signal quality/strength through the 'Services' button on the remote control, then '4', then '6'. The bars are about 80%, but I don't know how that compares with my previous box. Can anyone answer:

1) Will going from a single LNB (I didn't have Sky+) to a quad LNB reduce the picture quality?
2) Is it possible the cable from the LNB (installed by a Sky engineer) is of a lesser quality than what was there previously (installed by a local independent engineer)?
3) Should I expect better quality (i.e. 100%, bar completely filled on the checks)?

I have a Sony KDL-40W2000 and Sony RDR-HXD860, and use QED gold plated award winning cables (What Hifi Sound & Vision 2006) for HDMI, Scart and F Plug. That produced fantastic picture quality with my old Sky digital box. Another example was that I found The Hogfather on SkyOne HD blocky and rubbish.

Cheers

The signal quality and signal strength indicators are not a reliable way of measuring quality IME and different boxes can show different results on the same dish. This is a digital signal so having a higher level will not directly improve the quality. There is a stage just above the margin where there is just enough signal to be decoded but you get a high error level but if you had that effect you would lose the picture if it rained etc.

Have you tried looking at the picture through a number of connections? I had HD installed on Monday with a 46W and find the best combination is HDMI and auto output allowing the TV to rescale. I am not totally happy with SD and will try using the scart in the next few days to see if that is better (component looks similar but the aspect ratio gets screwed on 4:3 channels).

HD pictures I have viewed so far (Planet Earth etc) are as near flawless as I have seen.

For me, you get a better picture quality for SD channels when the box is set to 576 instead of 1080i all the time. I tend to change it manually, but you can set it to 'Auto'.

Hi,

Just upgraded from Sky+ to Sky HD and the picture is DEFINETLY better on SD channels and programmes than Sky+.

Oh, by the way using HDMI and auto...

I have Sky HD feeding into a Sony KDL-40X2000BU via HDMI. HD looks superb and SD is also very good, allowing for the limitations of the SD broadcast.

I confess that UK Gold does not make it onto my usual viewing list but on the rare occasions I've flicked to the channel and caught something like OAH I've never been impressed with the picture. Whether that's down to the channel or the programme I'm not sure but it's not something I would like to expose my eyes to. I do watch the BBC channels, ITV1-4, CH4 and variants, CH5 and Bravo and FX and the picture on those channels looks better than it ever did through the old Sky (non-HD) box.

I don't know how the menu system on the W compares with the X but I have turned off every single picture enhancement option, reduced backlight to 5, contrast to 80 and raised brightness to 58. I have these same settings for my PC, Freeview, Sky HD, camcorder and Xbox 360 and everything looks superb. I've enabled 1:1 pixel mapping and have the Sky HD box set to output everything at 1080i because 576p on SD material introduces unpleasant artefacts whereas 1080i looks very clean. With a good channel, good programme, good connections (HDMI!) and the right TV setup there is nothing wrong with the SD performance from a Sky HD box.

Have a look at my post in this thread on the X series....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331883&page=403&highlight=tdodd

ive had sky hd in since last july, and each time ive upgraded the box i got, sd chanel picture has got worse, first had a panasonic sky box and pic quality was good, then pace sky+ sd picture looked worse, then hd in jul and sd channels looks crap no mater what settings i use, only time i good quality pic was when i connected a scart lead to tv and used that to view sd channels instead of through hdmi lead

I'm using HDMI connection from the Sky box to the TV.
We tried the different choices adn the 1080i setting was best for us.

Picture quality is better on the HD box.

nbkicker33, I agree with you. I had a panasonic digibox before upgrading to HD, and I've also noticed the picture is better through a Scart cable, not the HDMI one. I've got the rescaling setting on automatic, but I might try different settings.

More worrying at the moment now, is my remote control doesn't work. I'm going to post a new thread on this, but, the SkyHD box doesn't receive the commands. There are no obstacles between the box and the remote, the red light comes on the remote control, and selecting the TV button successfully controls the TV. Any ideas what's wrong? I've unplugged the box for 20 minutes, and it seems to fix my problem, but only for a few minutes. The SkyHD box is a week old! Would rebooting it sort the problem out, or have I a faulty box?

The problem may be that in actual fact the picture quality is sharper and clearer on the HD box but the source material especially on old programs like OAHs is so poor that all the grain in the original source (made 20+ years ago) shows up in HD, whereas SD would not resolve all the grain and offer a smoother picture with less details but it might actually be more pleasing to the fresh eye???

I had a similar problem on Robin of Sherwood on DVD - I thought DVD great source must be good - but on my Pio 43" all the grain showed up - I never remembered it like that on my 20" CRT all those years ago when it was first broadcast.

I have just gone Sky HD and also dissappointed with the picture. I have a 42" Hitachi plasma which has a great SD picture on the standard box, but definately less clear on HD box through HDMI connection. Switching to scart improves the quality to that of my old box, but I cannot see any great difference between HD on HDMI and SD on Scart. Could the standard HDMI cable be the problem here? Also both the HD box and old box report a 50% approx signal strength and quality and we suffer signal loss in moderate rain, so I suppose this might also be contributing to the problem. Any ideas?

Switching to scart improves the quality to that of my old box, but I cannot see any great difference between HD on HDMI and SD on Scart. Could the standard HDMI cable be the problem here?

I got Sky HD today. Initially I was very pished at the poor HD PQ. Then I realised, I was viewing HD through AV1 scart. I switched to the HDMI channel and the difference was night and day...the HD is excellent and feeding my Sony LCD at 1080i. I think you must have a problem somewhere Tony if HD on HDMI = SD on Scart.

well my brother has a Tosh 32WLT66 and I have a 37WLT66 both run off of Sky HD and we both think SD is a better PQ through HD.....just oor tuppence worth

I just tried the SkyHD box through Scart and it took a bit of twiddling to get the settings right - the TV has different settings for each input so initially scart looked worse as it was at defaults.

After some work I can't really tell the difference except when HD programmes are showing.

The improvement in SD from SKyHD over Sky+ is very noticable on my Sony W. HD is via HDMI rather than Scart, but I have been very happy with it. Never payed much attention to the signal strength unless its raining!

Been doing some twiddling , in particular I have peaked the satelite signal with the aid of a Satfinder ( an inexpensive little meter from B&Q) as I think it was border line and we now have a v good HD picture, but I have still got to say that SD over Scart is noticably better than SD over HDMI I don't know why? I intend to speak to the Sound & Vision (our TV suppliers) as the first thing he told me when I bought the set was to throw away the HDMI lead that comes with Sky HD box and buy a good one as it will make a difference! Yet Geoff from Pennine said that for the short length, the supplied cable is OK? It's a real puzzler.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom