SD picture quality on Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gperkins1973, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Must admit I dont find the SD pics on my Sky HD box any worse than my old Sky+ box and I wasn't expecting an improvement depsite the upscaling.

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Installed my Samsung HD box yesterday and noticed the SD pic through HDMI (Automatic) was blurrier than my Pace PVR3 but the Pace did show up much more digital artifacting.

Setting the contrast to Low made the SD picture more vibrant and at medium it looked kind of pale and washed out.

Anyone else have the same opinion that contrast set to Low looks better on a Samsung?

Also, someone mentioned somewhere on the forums that if you disable Anytime, the SD picture improves. Is this true for some users?

3. Whiteyav

Whiteyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have my Samsung box set to Low contract. SD picture is the same or better than my Sky+ box. I only use HDMI output.

I have output set as automatic, my Panasonic plasma can choose the correct display.

I'm very pleased with my Samsung box, I have some lip sync issues but that's sky's fault not the boxes, as it's not on all transmissions.

4. mc5

mc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I find the same with my Thomson on a Panasonic plasma. Its colours are washed out when compared to the freeview & Pace sky+ box. Was hoping to change it to a Samsung or Pace to improve this. :confused:

5. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well I can tell you right now that the contrast settings on the Pace HD are extreme. Medium is just as labelled, Low, is too low and High is way too high!

6. airjaff

airjaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    SD on a skydigi box is better then the sd on sky hd

7. StevePn

StevePn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just a thought.:lesson:
    As people have stated the quality does vary between makes etc, maybe the make of TV in combination with the HD box might be at fault.
    A adjustment of the TV settings might help.:confused:
    If you search "AV Forums in your TV make/model", there are quite a lot about picture set ups, including turning OFF many of the image processors etc.
    The standard settings used my manufacturers are usually not the best for viewing at home,:thumbsdow as they are set for the best viewing in a bright store/shop.
    Due to get a replacement HD box later today, so i might get a chance to test my theory.:smashin:
    Steve

8. Alanstuff

Alanstuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure StevePn is right in that results will vary due to differences in comaptibility between your HD box and TV, however I had hoped mine would be ok as I have a Samsung box and a Samsung LCD TV. I have spent considerable time over the last 3 weeks trying to improve my SD picture via HDMI, such as turning off all picture enhancement features and noise reduction, setting up the TV picture via a THX calibration disc, swapping HDMI inputs and leads, all to no avail, the SD picture and Sky menus are still noticably sharper via RGB scart than HDMI. I never use the 'dynamic' picture setting on the Samsung as that gives an awful artificially vivid image, and thats what they use in brightly lit stores on display.

9. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    We have both a Pace and day one Thomson HD box both via Panasonic Plasmas.

The Thomson has good SD set to medium. The other settings are not extreme and can be altered (unlike the Amstrad) but Medium suits.

The Pace box has a better SD picture than the Thomson and the recall by Sky is getting a lot of resistence from Pace owners very unwilling to hand over their perfectly working box with such great PQ for an older Thomson or a new Amstrad as is often the offer. Especially as Sky are not really specifying the nature of the recall other than that the boxes might fail in the future (which pretty well describes any box if you use it long enough). But what has been surmised from the fix applied by Sky on modified boxes (a couple of wire ties) suggests that if the box is not abused or stacked then the fault us unlikely to occur any time soon.

Plenty are saying swap for a Pace or no deal, but Sky are unable to promise this. So many seem to be declining the swap.

The one issue with the Pace is the contrast (as noted above). Why is this setting creating such problems for manufacturers, I wonder? Two of the three current boxes (Amstrad and Pace) clearly have bodged applications. Why?

In my view Pace should be forced to rename the settings Coal Mine - Medium - Nuclear Explosion - as that is what they properly resemble. I would not consider either the low or high settings usable but fortunately Medium is excellent so I have no quibbles and unlike the Amstrad most people find the Pace contrast setting spot on rather than a problem.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  10. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Shouldn't that be four? ;)

Amstrad, Pace, Samsung, Thomson

11. Member 209919

Member 209919
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Samsung HD box and A Panasonic TH42PX70 plasma. It was installed last Sat and I noticed that the colour seemed to be washed out a bit. ANyway, after some tweaking I now have a great SD picture. All I done was put the Samsung HD box contrast on Med and HDMI on 1080i for both HD and SD. Brightness on plasma set at 50% and colour at 65-70%. Cinema setting and warm setting also. Now I just increased the contrast gradually until I got a good SD picture. There seems to be a sweet spot but I got there in the end. I guess all televisions are different but I'm convinced that they can all be set up to achieve a good SD picture. Also set it up on a channel that you watch the most. I set it up on Television X. Only joking. BBC1 was the one for me. Give it a go.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  12. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Over the last month since having my Samsung box installed I've tried various TV and box setting and have found that the picture is improved by setting the box contrast to "Low".

As for the TV settings I've used the "THX Optimizer" to do the initial set-up then just tweaked them when viewing to get my personal preference.

Eiji - I've not heard about switching "Anytime" off to improve the picture, can't really see what difference it could make.

13. mc5

mc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I also have a PX70 & your right upping the colour does help but then the freeview picture on the tv is too colourful. If only the tv had settings for each input it wouldnt be a problem.

14. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    At 576p, the colour on freeview and SD on my Samsung is the same on my PX80 with medium contrast. Its the 720p/1080i settings that wash out the colours on SD channels.

I hope it can be rectified with a firmware update but if not, I'll stick with the Auto setting and slower SD to HD channel changing.

15. mc5

mc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes 576p is the same as the freeview and washes out at 720/1080i setting, strange as theyre both going through the hdmi.

16. Member 209919

Member 209919
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's funny because I'm sure after I changed the settings the tv "settles" to it's new configuration. Put it on after I got home and the SD picture I'm getting is probably better than what was recieving with my old plus box. The colour does seem a little high but it works perfect for me. Trust me, I'm a stickler for quality and I'm more than happy with what I'm getting.The colour is about 30% more than when I had it going through the plus box. Btw, what do you mean by the "freeview picture"?

17. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    He means the freeview tuner in his PX70 plasma and my PX80 plasma.

18. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Will Sky ever add a 576i option for HDMI?

19. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    I wish they would... But I doubt it...

20. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    I have just had my Amstrad box replaced by a Samsung one and it has fixed the two issues I was having (mainly stuck contrast and FF/RW issues).

However now I am able to play around with the picture settings I am not as happy with the SD output over HDMI. I will try and take some photos but my main PC is out of action at the moment.

I notice a big improvement in picture if I use RGB Scart for SD rather than SD over HDMI (scaled or left as is). The easiest way to see a difference is on one of the news channels where on RGB scart the letters are fully black and sharp. Over hdmi the letters are fuzzier. Have contrast set to medium and have the settings the same for each input currently. Have played with different settings but to no avail. Most of the digital processing is either off or set to low as per recommendations on these forums. (TV is a Pioneer 436XDE)

So yes I can put scart on and flick between the two but then I don't see why I should and also explaining to the wife why I need to change input etc.

I don't want to sound like I am moaning but when you shell out for the 'ultimate' in picture quality you don't expect it to be worse than the box it replaces.

21. Member 209919

Member 209919
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried a scart for sd on my sammy hd box and the picture is awful. No idea why.

22. Drumer

Drumer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A newby for this forum, I set the Pace Sky HD output from 1080i to Automatic -worked a treat. My Pioneer Kuro upscaling works much better than Sky's and SD picture quality has dramatically improved.