SD picture quality on Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gperkins1973, Feb 12, 2009.

1. brewertop

brewertop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have a sammy hd box, and have no trouble with sd picture no lip sync problems either, the worst channel for sd quality is eurosport however this maybe the fact that I have been spolit by eurosport HD

2. mc5

mc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Is there any way to get rid of the fuzzy scrolling text on Sky News banner on hdmi. Has this been sorted on the newer Samsung/Pace/Amstrad boxes.

3. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    If you have out put to the TV and vhs via scart make sure you don't get the out puts mixed up, can cause over blown red.

4. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200

I tried what you said and only 1 light comes on, sat there for a 3 mins with both buttons pressed.

Does anybody know the code to get into the engineer settings.

5. Danny1980

Danny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Did you unplug the box from the mains or just switch it to standby?

Switch the box to standby, wait for the drive to stop spinning, unplug from the mains, wait ten secs then hold the back-up button on the box, not the remote while plugging the box back in, wait for the led's to light up then release the back-up button.

Wait until all the lights go out and the box goes into standby, turn the box back on, it should now have current software.

Engineers menu can be accessed by going to Services then pressing 401 select.

6. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    That's not good news, I was hoping it was just the Amstrads. BBC1 looks bad, but Sky3 was the worst looking of the few I've flicked through. Looks like I'm watching an old VHS recording.

What's the latest firmware for the Amstrad box? I'm on Version Number: 4F3001, OS Version 1.32A01 - is that up to date?

7. goldenone

goldenone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Posts about crap SD quality has me a bit worried now. Mentioned this to the wife who looked very unimpressed at this thought as she'd never watch any HD channels :rolleyes:

8. peterace

peterace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Samsung HD box (installed about a month ago). So far I'm delighted with SD from it. It's better than my original basic Sky box (probably because HDMI is better than Scart).

Initially I was worried after reading about SD quality on this forum but my fears were unjustified. I'm just about to watch Terminator: Sarah Conner on Virgin 1. When I watched last week the picture was excellent, and I'm watching on a 46" LCD from 8 feet away so I would really notice if it was bad.

Basically, don't be so worried.

9. mc5

mc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does anyone find colours are washed out on hdmi whem compared to when you switch to scart. Though I would say that the picture is slightly sharper on sd channels on hdmi compared to scart.

10. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I'm coming from Sky+ on s-video to Sky HD with hdmi. My SD picture should be better just because of the connection, not worse.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

In theory given a perfect source but the lower quality analogue connection can hide many of the compression issues the digital link makes very obvious once scaled by a flat panel.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Does your TV support independent picture settings per AV input, if so you need to tweak the digital link settings to maximise it's performance and to meet your expectations.

13. mc5

mc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No its Panasonic PX70 so if I increase the colour in normal mode then there's too much colour on other sources.

14. wesjones

wesjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this problem as well the picture is so poor on normal channels that, my firmware is 0.7.070 had this fitted yesterday, im thinking of sending HD back

Any one had any help from sky?

Wes

15. Oakmere

Oakmere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm seeing the polar opposite..

I use my Sanyo Z2 projector as my everyday TV, and the SD channels look much crisper and cleaner through HDMI>DVI than they ever did down a S-Video cable.

16. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have had 3 HD boxes since the launch in 2006.Thompson was first one good picture quality on SD and HD.Started losing signals on channels in JAN 09

2nd box.Amstrad picture quality very bad on SD.Blacks looked like charcoal.HD quality good.You cannot adjust box contrast.As it is set to high.So thats why the picture quality on SD is bad.High contrast distorts picture edging.Very quiet machine.Got it changed

3rd box.Samsung picture quality good SD and HD contrast set to low.The same as my Thompson box was.Also a very quiet box

Before anyone says adjust settings on TV.The TV settings were the same for all 3 boxes.So my obvious choice is get rid of the Amstrad.As contast is set to high and cannot be changed

17. chrismuk

chrismuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I was just thinking about this as I've had an Amstrad box installed recently and I find the SD picture to be roughly the same as my old Pace V1 box. Just a theory, but I wonder if the Amstrad boxes might be stuck on different contrast levels, as mine appears to be middle contrast. Like all other Amstrad owners its stuck and I can't change it, but I remember when I used to mess around with my old sky + that high contrast was always quite bright and stood out as too high, so I never used it, following the switch to Sky HD I didn't notice the contrast appearing higher or lower than the Sky+ box.

This might explain why some people are reporting horrible SD pictures on the Amstrad and others (like me) seem to have a good picture. (I used the same pic settings regarding brightness/contrast on my tv for both boxes).

Just a theory, and to be honest i'd be surprised if they came out of the factory fixed to different levels, more likely to be all the same.

18. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    After the SD problems on my Amstrad box, I had a play with a Samsung box. If the contrast on the Samsung is set to High then it looks exactly like my SD picture.

I'm not sure what to do now - I'm not happy with the picture, but should I cancel the engineer visit on Sunday? I've got no way of speaking to him before he arrives (I tried last week and they wouldn't even give me a phone number for them), so if he's only got Amstrads then it wont fix the problem. Or will they just say the contrast isn't a fault and Sky are working on it?

19. Whiteyav

Whiteyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I have a Panasonic TH42PZ81 which is Full HD and 1080p and Sky HD hooked up by HDMI.

So to clarify is this correct:
    Sky HD set to Automatic = the TV chooses the best resolution and scales accordingly, which seems to be 576p for SD and 1080i for HD.

Sky HD set to 1080i = the Sky HD boxes upscales the signal and outputs at 1080i and the TV simply displays both SD and HD at 1080i.

Is that correct and if so which is the best option or should I simply let my eyes decide?

20. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Use 1080i all the time

21. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Set contast to low

22. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    just google it....Loads of different threads about it stuck on high

23. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I'd love to, but the contrast setting doesn't work on the Amstrad boxes. It appears to be stuck on high (or at least it's comparable to high on the Samsung).

24. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Engineer came, said that the contrast only works with scart so I need to connect a scart lead. I said that's not the case, so he brought in my replacement box - a Thomson refurb :rolleyes: He connected it up just to check the contrast setting, which of course worked perfectly. Set to low the picture was on a par with my old Sky+ and looked good. I said I wasn't having a refurb, let alone a Thomson refurb, so he phoned his boss who said they would arrange another visit to replace with a new box (they only carry refurbs on service calls). He was insisting I should keep the Thomson for now and he'd take the shiny new Amstrad away. I politely declined, so I now await another visit.

I guess the odds aren't stacked in my favour. I don't believe there are any new Thomson boxes anymore, so of the other three: all Amstrads have the same contrast problem, the Pace ones are being recalled, leaving the Samsung being the only one with no major issues that I know of. I'd be perfectly happy with the Amstrad if the contrast worked. How hard can it be for Sky to fix this?

25. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Medium is the correct contrast setting (atleast with the Thomson boxes anyway).

You lose the Dynamic Range when set to Low, and High crushes/blows out white.

It's an absolute disgrace that the Amstrad boxes are stuck on High, as that is really going to affect picture quality in a negative way if it acts in the same manner as the Thomsons :thumbsdow

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  26. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    agreed, MEDIUM is the correct setting for Samsung boxes as well, Low is far too dark especially with a Pio set to ******** HD HDMI settings

27. Whiteyav

Whiteyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. Am I correct in my statement above? I want to know how it works, and then decide with that and my eyes!

28. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536

I believe it all boils down to which does the best upscaling - TV or Sky Box.

Whichever you choose the TV still fills its screen so it down to preference.

29. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Almost - your panel will (assuming it is of reasonable quality) decode the 1080i / 50Hz and display a full 1080p / 25Hz image stream. In other words, for movies at least, sky are transmitting effectively at 1080p / 25. Blu Ray is 1080p /24 - though obviously Sky is more bandwidth limited - for slow action stuff a movie on sky HD (all other things being equal) will be identical to a Blu Ray.

Therefore 1080i is best for HD.

For SD, try all the permutations of SCART HDMI etc.

And remember if your SD image looks awful when you've just got your shiney new HD box, and you've just spent 6 hours looking at HD, it might simply be because you've just spent 6 hours looking at HD.

30. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    My earlier post stated that contrast was set to high on Amstrad and stuck there.The contrast to low was for the sammy