SD Picture quailty of amstrad HD box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by potshot, Feb 5, 2009.

1. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I not impressed with the amstrad SD picture quality, has anybody else been unhappy with the SD, PQ of the amstrad box.

My pace sky+ is far superior when it cames to SD, PQ. I don't see why anybody should have to put up with a worst SD PQ when changing to HD.

Over 50% of my veiwing will be in SD and not HD

I would rather not have HD and have a better SD picture. Faxing sky to cancel the sky HD with a long letter telling them what I think of their customer services and the attitute of the engineers they use. Damaged a new TV cabinet and not even a sorry.

2. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Just for kicks, try viewing the SD channels via RGB (SCART), which is probably how you had the Sky+ box hooked up, rather than via HDMI. Depending on the system, that could improve things.

3. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I did that and the colour and constrast are awful.

4. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    What is the contrast setting on the box set as? It should be "Medium", the other settings "Low" and "High" are broken.

If it's already on medium then either you have a broken box or your TV settings have got out of whack somehow.

5. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have tried medium, low and high with no difference. The SD picture gets blocking a fair bit. The missus said the picture looks blurred when on SD.

6. frank j

frank j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have complained to Sky about my Amstrad.Contrast is permanently set to high and cannot be altered,which resulted in SD pictures having washed out skin tones,shimmering and other digital artefacts on my Philips LCD.HD is brilliant/superb.

I am sure that a fix will emerge eventually,however following a conversation with Sky technical,on a whim I updated the firmware/software for my Philips.The moment the picture came back after the update I could not believe the difference.Skin tones were more natural,the shimmering was almost gone as were the digital artefacts.I cannot give an explanation why changing the TV should improve Sky,but my eyes do not lie.

The Philips has an Active Control setting in its setup menu.Enabling this also improved the picture,albeit slightly.This apparently measures and adjusts incoming signals,presumably altering them to something the TV can handle.

I would still like to be able to change the contrast (are you watching this Sky?).I borrowed a Thompson prior to my install,ended up setting it on low contrast and SD was better than my Sky+ box.