SD - Pan 42" PX70 or PZ

OldSkoO1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused so another newcomer asking for help as its time to upgrade from sony CRT.

I watch SD - humax 9200t PVR it is. I also have a Denon DHT-500SD which i use when we watch films so no HD there.

My research tells me Panasonic seem to make the best TV's especially for PQ on SD sources.

So; i've done a lot of digging and 1 month ago i was going to go for a pan TX37LZD70 LCD as i thought plasma was inferior with its screen burn and shorter life span. Then i realized plasma probably would be a better bet for SD viewing??

Anyway i'm confused and i am sort of leaning to pan's plasmas over their LCD's so that means either:

42 PX70
42 PZ70
or
42 PX700

I dont know which one to go for :confused:

I want the best for SD freeview from the humax.
Good DVD performance on my NON hdmi player
BUT the capacity to run good HD when i finally swap my cinema package thing.

I also want good sound on its own and i only really use the denon surround sound for films and the one thing about the great deals on the 42 PX70 was its lack of speakers ??? Does it actually do sound and is that sound any good - like the same as my 32" sony CRT. I dont expect cinema like sound but i dont want it to sound thin and tinny.

Say if the sound measured up on the 70 models (which i assume are all the latest) would you get the PX or the PZ for PQ on SD. OR i haven't ruled out the 37" plasma if that would be more suitable for SD?

I am aware that panasonic will release new plasmas in a few months but realisically they will probably by 1k plus which is a bit much to pay out for considering this is my first plasma and i dont know what to expect.

Thanks all

I was stuck with this exact decision over the last couple of weeks and then i went ahead and ordered the PZ70 from John Lewis for £899, this was mainly down to the great feedback that the PZ70 got on this forum and its a full HD set and i know in a few months time i would have regretted not buying a full HD tv when i had the chance.

I have always been an LCD person in the past but i decided that now was the time to go for a more realistic viewing experience with the plasma as things like films seem more life-like and the detailing seems far better than an LCD in my opinion along with better colour shades and deeper blacks.

Both are fantastic sets from the reviews and it was a close decision in the end but i chose the PZ70 which arrives next week.

It's a tough call and everyone will have their own opinion on which is best. I'd definately say Plasma is best so your first decision was good :)

The PX700 is more expensive than either '70 series but does have better speakers and an extra HDMI port (I think there is also a SD card slot and picture in picture and other features etc). Personally I would rule it out unless the extra features appeal to you - the speakers on my PX70 are absolutely fine and whilst not outstandingly rich in tone and depth they are probably better than those on the Sony CRT it replaced and certainly fine for normal TV and films. Remember you can always upgrade to a surround package later if you want more from your TV.

The choice between the PX70 and PZ70 is much harder. I personally think the SD picture is better on the PX70 and the HD picture marginally better on the PZ depending on your viewing distance but there are loads who will disagree with me (and probably will :rotfl:)

Unless space is a real concern don't be tempted to get the 37" - you'll regret it later when you find it appears to have shrunk after a few weeks! The PQ on the 42's is just as good at 8-10 feet.

heheheheh...me and my dad had this exact same issue.....
My dad got the 42"pz70

I went for the PX version....
And cant tell the difference between either in pic quality..in SD and HD !
PZ is a LOT longer than px (speakers at the side) looks kinda squashed !(better sound though) ..but the PX still sounds fine.
You cant get a cab for PZ (ped or wall mount only)
Cab for PX looks the dogs........
Both brilliant TV`s.....u wont be disappointed whichever 1 u get !!!Let us know your decision......

Hello

Thanks very much for the replies - Sounds like either PX70 or PZ70 are realistic at the moment. Depends on the price / deals really as PZ does give me the HD option.

However it is to go in a corner where 2 walls meet so the PZ's extra width may not be very "fitting".

Can i also double check that a 42" plasma would be suitable - i have a chair around 8foot away and the main sofa is 10/11foot away and thats giving maybe 2foot to play with.

Also on currys web site there seems to be 2 versions of the PX70 two different prices. Is this a misprint or did samsung release 2 different specs under the same model name?

Thanks again,

oldskool

Be careful with those listed on the website i was under the impression that they had got it wrong at first and were confusing the PX70 and 7 , but someone told me that they are actually selling one with Digital tuner and one without .

So get it confirmed first

regards

thanks for the clarification - i prob couldn't get JL to pricematch the cheaper one then :rolleyes:

ED have the pedistal one i want for 700 + deliv which is good enough. Best i can find so far.

Providing 42" is suitable for an average viewing distance of around 10 foot.

i have a viewing distance of 6.5 feet and will be using PS3 & HD. I prefer the look of the px70 though. What are peoples opionions on this? Has anyone done a comparison with these sets on 1080i sources?

Now i might even get the CAB version of the 42" as is does look nice.

I'm sort of on the border line 10ft for 42" as one of my seats is only 8ft. I could save a hundred odd quid and get the 37" ....

If 42 will be fine and no blockiness then i'm fine

42" will be absolutely fine from that distance. I often sit on the seat nearest my PX70 (around 6-7 foot as opposed to my sofa at 11-12 foot) and only notice any "blockiness" on the occasional low budget channel. On the decent channels (Sky Sports, BBC etc) the picture is perfect.

anyone done a comparison with these sets on 1080i-1080p sources? Preferbly with PS3? I will be sitting quite close (6.5 feet) and prefer the look of px70 than pz70.

thanks corona007

only task now is where to find either the 37 or ideally the 42 PX70 with its cabinet for a decent price thats in stock.

I want to get from JL but they dont have any on web site and to PM i need to find somewhere in stock first :rolleyes:

anyone done a comparison with these sets on 1080i-1080p sources? Preferbly with PS3? I will be sitting quite close (6.5 feet) and prefer the look of px70 than pz70.

PS3 looks amazin on both these sets mate..........dont forget PS3 games only play in 720.....
The Blue Ray 1080 on the PX is brilliant...and very slightly (really hard to notice)better on the PZ...
But in SD i think the PX is a better piccy IMO...and the cab looks cool (u cant get a cab for the PZ)

I was stuck with this exact decision over the last couple of weeks and then i went ahead and ordered the PZ70 from John Lewis for £899, this was mainly down to the great feedback that the PZ70 got on this forum and its a full HD set and i know in a few months time i would have regretted not buying a full HD tv when i had the chance.

I have always been an LCD person in the past but i decided that now was the time to go for a more realistic viewing experience with the plasma as things like films seem more life-like and the detailing seems far better than an LCD in my opinion along with better colour shades and deeper blacks.

Both are fantastic sets from the reviews and it was a close decision in the end but i chose the PZ70 which arrives next week.

How did you get JL to sell the PZ70 for £899? who did they price match?

Get the PZ70, in a couple of years you wont have those SD sources but you will still have the PZ. Think for the future, its not that great a difference in price.
If people really cant see the difference between the PZ70 and the PX70 on a high def source then they are not viewing a full hd source, because wow, when you see it you would think you could touch it.

I was stuck with this exact decision over the last couple of weeks and then i went ahead and ordered the PZ70 from John Lewis for £899

The JL website lists this set at £1099 and out of stock. Where did you find it for £899?

The JL website lists this set at £1099 and out of stock. Where did you find it for £899?

I got JL Liverpool to price match JL Watford who had it on sale on the shop floor for £899, the Liverpool branch were great to deal with. Ignore the web prices as the stores themselves will do you a better deal if you can find a high street store to price match against.

Sorry if I sound a little dumb here did you know the price of the pz in Liverpool by phoning or by going in to the store. What high street store did you match with pls.

JL has dropped the price of the 42TZ70 to £899 in their shop at Watford, so the price match for £899 is actually against another branch of their own store. Have a look at the last couple of pages of the price match thread in this forum for full details.

However, I tried JL and they refused to price match or even take a back order for one at £899 (JL Trafford Centre - Manchester) as they had none in stock in central stores and couldn't confirm when the stock would be in again. Its worth trying again tho, I was pleasant and polite, but the lady wasn't very helpful.

Sound and Vision In Bolton have it in stock at the moment for £889. This doesn't come with the 5yr warranty, but you could try JL pricematch against them too - or just buy from there.

http://www.soundandvisiononline.co.uk/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=13552

I just reserved one at Sound and Vision instead - collect it tomorrow (they would only deliver to card address and we're out working during the week). I must say over the phone Sound and Vision were helpful, gave good advice and were very apologetic about their card address policy being an inconvenience for me.

Get the PZ70, in a couple of years you wont have those SD sources but you will still have the PZ. Think for the future, its not that great a difference in price.
If people really cant see the difference between the PZ70 and the PX70 on a high def source then they are not viewing a full hd source, because wow, when you see it you would think you could touch it.

I completely dissagree..............
I have compared both side by side(blue Ray) FULL hd........(i know PX is not FULL hd)
The PX is better in SD...which..believe me ..will still be around for a while yet !
PZ....SLIGHTLY very very slighty...takes the honors for HD...(With a 50" version it is a LOT more apparent)!
If u Want a 50...go PZ......

How did you get JL to sell the PZ70 for £899? who did they price match?

I will be receiving my pz70 tomorrow from JL. They price matched sound and vision at £908. They were taking a bit of time (10 days) over the price match so I wrang them up and said that if they don't price match today I'll go elsewhere. They said OK and after giving them my card details I'm getting a pz70 delivered with a 5 year gtee for a bargain price.

only 24 hours remaining and I get to play.

The sound and vision price is not at £926 but as they ahve them in stock you can get it matched easy enough.

I'm in the same predicament (PX v PZ) and was leaning towards the PX, but just noticed currys are doing the TH42PX70 for £599 here. The difference of £200+ puts me back in favor of the PX!

This seems far cheaper than enywhere else... or is there something i'm missing?

Yes - click on 'buy' and then try doing a search on the availability!!!!

You may have better luck than me, depending on where you live.

I'm in the same predicament (PX v PZ) and was leaning towards the PX, but just noticed currys are doing the TH42PX70 for £599 here. The difference of £200+ puts me back in favor of the PX!

This seems far cheaper than enywhere else... or is there something i'm missing?

Yes - they don't have any !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom