1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD or HD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jhkanguk, Nov 2, 2004.

1. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am ready to spend between 1,500 and 3,000 for 42" plasma.
    Both SD and HD models are available in this price range.

Panasonic TH-42PE30 seems to be polular but it is SD.

My understanding is SD is perfect for current DVDs. However, it can't show quality of future HD source.

I will probably use new plasma for at least 5 years.
    How important is it to buy HD at this time? How much will we exposed to HD source in next 5 years?

Has anyone thought about this?

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sky will be launching HD in 2006, but its bound to be a premium product with an associated price, so i wouldnt expect to see it mainstream for about 2years after that, as for DVD i dont know.

3. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not necessarily true. The resolution of the plasma you mention is perfect for region 1 DVD. If you watch a region 2 DVD or any UK broadcasts, you are going to loose detail from the picture, as it will have to be scaled down to fit the screen.

There are also other issues that would affect this. For instance, one of the experts on this site (I think it was Joe) has said that that the processing of the HD Panny is better than the SD Panny.

As well as Sky launching HD as Leigh_1973 mentioned, you can also get HD now, via your PC or if you really want it, by arranging for the installation of a new satellite and receiver capable of getting Euro 1080. It is also expected that Blue Ray and HD DVD disks will be available within the next couple of years.

I am going to be buying a plasma in the next two months and am definitely going to opt for the HD model.

4. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about this and decided to go for SD. Why? For the next couple of years there will be very few HD sources available. In fact, unless I got my Xbox chipped I don't think I own a single source capable of producing 720p. Unless you already own a scaler, need better resolution for PC connectivity or have some other HD source it just doesn't really seem worth it at the moment.

By the time that Sky can supply you with an HD movie channel, I expect an HD screen to cost significantly under £2k. Just look at what's happened to plasma prices over the last 18 months. I'd rather spend £1.5k on an SD plasma now and then look at HD again in the future when there is a decent range of HD stuff to supply it with. The other factor that did it for me is that flat screen technology is improving fast enough that I reckon a £3k HD screen now probably won't be as good as a £1.5k HD screen in 2 years time.

Just my 2p, of course.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if the 3k budget excludes sound and source equipment....Just for the screen then i suggest you buy a PW6 at £1600 and but the rest into savings to buy an HD screen in 3 years or blow the lot on a PHD7 and squeeze an extra £500 out for an Iscan HD scaler which will last you well into HD and give excellent results during the SD-HD transition......

6. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TH-42PE30 that jhkanguk was looking at costs £2400. You can now buy the PHD7 for under £2600. Unless you particularly want a plamsa with a tuner, then there is no contest.

You do make a good point though that you can get a very good SD plasma for as little as £1500. If as you say, you have no intersest in connecting a PC to the display, scaling the picture or viewing video in HD until there is a big range of channels available, then I think you probably made the right decision.

Cheers

7. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is true that PAL DVD loses 100 vertical lines of resolution when it is shown on SD display, does that mean we can see better picture on CRT TV than SD plasma as long as resolution is concerned?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Whats the RES of a CRT TV????? And the lines are not LOST just scaled down

9. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Some very good points from all concerned.

Out of curiosity, what is the PHD7, is this a panel version of the Viera? Am working flat out like a lizzard drinking at the mo so no time to study this stuff.

Thanks, Gerald. :D

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no the viera is a PW6 SD baesd unit 852x480 res and PHD7 is 1024x768 res panel

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Cheers Hornydragon.

This leads to another question then. The Panny PWD5 and possibly 6 could also be got in the HD 1024 version. What are the improvements/differences with this new fangled Panny 7 series? Is it a HD 6 in disguise? Or does it use new electronics and panel? :confused:

Thanks, Gerald :)

12. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New 7 Series panel, Higher contrast ratio, Compatible with a future DVI/HDMI board....