• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SD on a HD plasma

P

paulpj

:hiya: probarbly get slated for asking this but need a 42 ins plasma and really fancy LG X5 looks good and spec seems v good:confused: but how do these sets show standard def programmes and i have a dvd player with progressive scan and havent been able to use facility so will results on this and tv pre HD via sky etc be worth the outlay compared to a non HD set :thumbsup:

akcampbell

Standard Member
Even with a standard definition TV you should be able to use progressive scan. My advice would be to get a secondhand later generation Pioneer HD plasma
(eg. 405 or 505) and a secondhand external video processor like an iscan HD+. The video processor will deinterlace standard definition 480i DVD's and TV pictures from a Freeview box to 480p and then scale it up to the HD Plasma's 720p native resolution. HD plasmas can do their own deinterlacing and scaling, often with a separate box that comes with them, but they don't tend to be very good. If I were you I wouldn't buy standard defitinion plasma. If you only want standard definition and want the best possible picture quality get a 32 or 36 inch Sony or Philips CRT TV. The picture quality beats standard definition on plasma and LCD hands down.

P

paulpj

it has to be plasma already got a 37 ins sd resolution and its very good but have room for 42 ins now with 37 ins moving , wouldnt go back to crt just want to know ins n outs of hd sets with sd signal , my dvd player was on offer and at the time p/scan meant nowt 2 me:) was told today that lg make all the screens anyway:confused: but still just like the sound of XG engine having said that phillips are flamincheap:clap: but their pixel plus gets slated in the mags:confused: so please help:rolleyes:

jaguar

Standard Member
As far as I know plasmas are always convert interlace input signals to progressive scan. So depending on if the scan of your DVD player is better then the one in your future plasma you will get a slighty better result.

Or put in anotherway. Buying a plasma so you can use progressive scan on your DVD does not make a lot of sense.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
why haven't you been using progscan with your 37" plasma then? (not that it does much good unless the deinterlacer is a lot better than the screen's)

P

paulpj

my current 37 ins has only got s video,2 scarts and vga , no rgb comp plug inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom