SD looks awful on my new HD TV

gabs1878

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a Toshiba 42zv635db.

HD picture looks incredible. However, picture for any SD channel look awful, worse than my old TV which wasn't even HD.

Can anyone help?

I bought a Toshiba 42zv635db.

HD picture looks incredible. However, picture for any SD channel look awful, worse than my old TV which wasn't even HD.

Can anyone help?
for sd plasma is better
the pq looks worse than the old tv becuase the same info is stretched to fit the bigger screen
try turning all processing off and enhancements off and colour and sharpness down alot and go from there

flatpanelhd.com have a review

what source did u use ?

unfortunately , SD on a large LCD can look ropey sometimes. As already said a 576 res picture is being stretched to fit a 1080, 42" screen and sometimes the results are messy. A quick calibration to get brightness, colour and sharpness right will improve the PQ alot tho.

those toshiba's should have decent SD quality as the set has a ton of options to tweak the picture and have resolution+ to enhance SD pictures. I think your set just needs setting up properly.

flatpanelhd.com have a review

what source did u use ?

Sky HD mate.

unfortunately , SD on a large LCD can look ropey sometimes. As already said a 576 res picture is being stretched to fit a 1080, 42" screen and sometimes the results are messy. A quick calibration to get brightness, colour and sharpness right will improve the PQ alot tho.

those toshiba's should have decent SD quality as the set has a ton of options to tweak the picture and have resolution+ to enhance SD pictures. I think your set just needs setting up properly.

Is this achieved via a DVD?

If using a sky box ensure picture output is set to auto instead of 1080

Yes. My Sky HD is currently set to '1080', so I'll change that to 'auto'.

u could try a basic calibration with a "thx optimiser"....they can be found on some dvd and blurays, terminator2 skynet edition on bluray has one and so do a few disney and star wars dvd's. Its a basic calibration to get brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness correct....can make a lot of difference if u are using the basic tv presets.

personally i would use 1080 all the time on sky hd....when u use auto and watch a SD programme, the info box etc is SD and looks horrible....keep it at 1080....on my tv anyway the pq on SD is better thru sky at 1080 than auto.

personally i would use 1080 all the time on sky hd....when u use auto and watch a SD programme, the info box etc is SD and looks horrible....keep it at 1080....on my tv anyway the pq on SD is better thru sky at 1080 than auto.

I think this setting depends on the quality of the software in both tv and sky box and how they deal with the signal and if they attempt to upscale or not

Some combinations will be better with the box set to 1080, some set to auto, it's a trial and error suck it and see job but it's certainly worth comparing the results

The other thing to bear in mind is that some of these big flat screen jobs with the best software expose just how poor some sd transmission is in a way that crt sets never did

I also use 1080 on my Sky HD box and everything looks fine. In fact, I tried auto and didn't like it much to be honest.

Also, to the original poster. I think it is natural that you will see SD not looking as good as your old CRT. It was that way for me when I had my first HDTV years ago also. You will adjust though. These TVs show everything up that you really couldn't see on the old CRTs. After some messing about with the settings, I am sure you will find something you will be happy with :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom