sd dvd pq on hd-a1

av addict

ok theres a few folks on here who already have the tosh hd-dvds players{i'm waiting for mine ] how would you guys compare with difference between
standard dvd player and tosh hd-dvd player when playing sd dvds--
how does say for eg-fifth element superbit or black hawk down superbit{on order}look----please list your dvds that offer better pq when using the
hd-dvd player----------cheers for any help

DEV

sparkytoon said:
ok theres a few folks on here who already have the tosh hd-dvds players{i'm waiting for mine ] how would you guys compare with difference between
standard dvd player and tosh hd-dvd player when playing sd dvds--
how does say for eg-fifth element superbit or black hawk down superbit{on order}look----please list your dvds that offer better pq when using the
hd-dvd player----------cheers for any help
I have an Denon 1920 DVD player and I think the image produced by the Toshiba HDA1 on my Hitachi TX200 is twice as good. Every SD DVD I have put in it looks great especially superbit movies like Fifth Element and The One. The only DVDs that don't look good are hand drawn cartoons. Don't know why? It seems to confuse the scaling software. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, unless you already have a £1000 dvd player.

Nic Rhodes

SD quality on the Toshibas is very good but don't expect mircacles, it is not the best DVD player on the planet but it is pretty competitive for <&#163;1k. There are still issues with it if you are picky about SD.

Nic Rhodes

It is a decent DVD player but R0/1 only, deinterlacing and MPEG can be bettered but the scaling on the machine is excellent but not used at 480p ;) Most people are very pleased with it and it seems good value for the money.

StooMonster

Same deinterlacer and scaler as Sky HD nes pas?

StooMonster

StooMonster

Nic Rhodes said:
The one that over in the 'Video Scalers, Video Processing & Progressive Scan' Liam @ Prog AV says is "SD performance on the Tosh HD-DVD is absolute crap"?

Region 1 DVD's 60Hz material and it's 3:2 pulldown is pretty easy to detect. Wonder how it will do with 50Hz material, perhaps like Sky HD it will have trouble with cadence and comb a lot?

StooMonster

Nic Rhodes

I actually think the chip does a good job, though I still recommend that all DVD players are set to output 480p. How or whether it is used in the 2g players in UK I don't know but in the US, many people ditched their exising DVD players as they were not as good as this Toshiba, many were the ilk of 3910 but at least one was a Meridian 8000. I am not surprized by the formers but I think the latter machine speaks volumes of the Toshibas ability. In fact praise has been lavished on the DVD performance on the other side of the pond. Re different 50 or 60 hz abilities is nothing new is it!

Personally I prefer to use a dedicate DVD player and think of the Toshibas as HD DVD players but many players are given a hard time under &#163;1k by this player, though the likes of the best (Arcams) don't have too much to worry about. The fact that it does this a the price it does is quite a feather in Toshiba cap I think as the OP here and many others who are interested in this player to also do DVD duties are not comparing it to &#163;1k players....

Re my initial impression of the Toshiba as a DVD player was much closer to Liams but I have warmed to it the longer I have tried it and I think I got this one wrong originally. Could it better? certainly yes, I said that at the beginning of the thread but I think many will love it. Over at AVS they lavish praise on it as a DVD player.

Top Bottom