SD content Stuttering, HD fine - please post if you have a similar issue.

D

Deleted member

Hi all,

just wondering if anybody else is suffering the same problem I'm getting.

I stream using Twonky (wireless) on my NAS drive to my PS3, and recently (last couple of weeks), 700Mb AVI's have started to stutter. I've tried loads of different's one's, and even one's that used to be fine and they are all unwatchable.

My first thought was it must be the wireless connection, maybe something interferring with it, but 1080P content is worked, watched both Bolt (6.6Gb file) and Batman the Dark knight (12Gb file) and both play through without a single stutter so i'm kind of ruling out anyother hardware other than the PS3 (playback to computer running XBMC and old XBOX using XBMC are both fine).

This morning I was talking to a college at work who has a similar set up (although he is going though home plugs) and he has exactly the same issue, (we both have phat PS3, mine is a 40, his an 80).

Please post if you have a similar problem or if yours is fine, i'm not sure if this maybe started happening since the last firmeware update or not.

Regards,

Darren

What formats are you streaming?

Are the HD movies preconverted (MKV2VOB)?

and what format are the SD videos...AVI's? MP4's?

first thing I'd try is PS3 Media Server to stream instead of TVersity.

It could be that the AVI's have an incompatible profile so TVersity is having to transcode them. TVersity is endowed with the most efficient encoders in the world.

I'm streaming from twonky on a Nas drive.

for SD, AVI files. I havn't checked the encoding, but not had a problem before, HD, are MKV2VOB'd!

If the HD files have bene through MKV2VOb then they will now be in a nice PS3 freindly format then.

Try copying one of the AVI's over the network to the PS3 by hitting triangle and choosing copy instead of streaming it. See if they playback fine from the PS3 Int HDD.

I'm streaming from twonky on a Nas drive.

for SD, AVI files. I haven't checked the encoding, but not had a problem before, HD, are MKV2VOB'd!

I've had streaming performance problems as I noted in this post. I too am using Twonky - on a Buffalo Linkstation NAS.
.vob/.mpg files stream fine whether HD or SD
.avi (XViD or DiVX) use much more bandwidth and hence your stuttering

Hope that helps!

I've had streaming performance problems as I noted in this post. I too am using Twonky - on a Buffalo Linkstation NAS.
.vob/.mpg files stream fine whether HD or SD
.avi (XViD or DiVX) use much more bandwidth and hence your stuttering

Hope that helps!

How can Xvid or DivX use more bandwidth when the bitrate of the files is only 20% or so of a HD rip?

sounds like Twonky itself has issues decoding Xvid/DivX casuing the slow/stuttering streaming

How can Xvid or DivX use more bandwidth when the bitrate of the files is only 20% or so of a HD rip?

sounds like Twonky itself has issues decoding Xvid/DivX casuing the slow/stuttering streaming

Problem is it worked fine before PS3 f/ware 2.70. It could be an issue with Twonky, I'll have to give PS3MS a try and monitor the bandwidth use.

If the HD files have bene through MKV2VOb then they will now be in a nice PS3 freindly format then.

Try copying one of the AVI's over the network to the PS3 by hitting triangle and choosing copy instead of streaming it. See if they playback fine from the PS3 Int HDD.

I like your thinking! Just tried it now, and it copied a 700mb file in 10minutes (so I'm certain it's not a bandwidth issue). And it's playing away perfectly, so don't think it's a file issue.

I'm lost!

I like your thinking! Just tried it now, and it copied a 700mb file in 10minutes (so I'm certain it's not a bandwidth issue). And it's playing away perfectly, so don't think it's a file issue.

I'm lost!

Sounds to me like Twonky is the problem focus then ;).

Is your NAS running the latest version of Twonky? might be a free update you can get from Twonky or your NAS Manufacturer.

Twonky is streaming fine to my laptop on XBMC and Xbox's though!. I'm going to buy a long network cable tomorrow and try hard-wiring it. shame it will only be a test though, god dam lamiate flooring!

Twonky is streaming fine to my laptop on XBMC and Xbox's though!. I'm going to buy a long network cable tomorrow and try hard-wiring it. shame it will only be a test though, god dam lamiate flooring!

Would be odd if it's network bandwidth causing the problem though if higher bitrate files don't stutter.

You can always do wired via homeplugs ;)

Yep, same problem here - ended up ditching Twonky on the NAS and installing PS3 Media Server on my PC. I now have better compatibility with SD formats and no longer have to wait for the (horribly unpredictable) media rescan periods - it seems to accurately rescan on the fly.

Still, agree that its something that was working fine pre 2.8 and now it's a mess.

TW

Seems I have picked up this problem too but over a wired connection.
Pausing the playback then playing again solves the stuttering.
Files are served from qNAP 216 - files are avi's.

Seems I have picked up this problem too but over a wired connection.
Pausing the playback then playing again solves the stuttering.
Files are served from qNAP 216 - files are avi's.

I was going to try and somehow wire mine this weekend. Maybe not worth doing now. Hopefully the next firmware update will help.

Hi - I have posted about this issue also.

I use a Buffalo Linksation Pro to stream to 360 and Ps3.

Last few months PS3 streaming has been terrible. I have the latest firmware on the NAS and PS3 is up to date.

I thought it was my Netgear router and still suspect it may be part of the problem, but it used to work fine.

So, I have tried to use a lead instead of wireless and it works much better but I cannot get through a film without at least one large stall and network error message.

However - the Linkstation streams movies faultlessly to the 360 wirless, or wired. And the 360 plays a lot of files the PS3 says are unrecognised. Problem is I want to watch using the PS3 as it is quieter.

I suspect it may be due to one of Sony's PS3 updates as they usually make my streaming worse, one way or the other.

Very frustrating - I feel I have tried everything other than buying a new router.....yet that works fine for the 360 and laptop (they are all by the PS3).

EDIT - PS3MS is not reallly an option for me as I don't want to have my PC on when streaming.

Last edited:
Well, i have tried hardwiring (via homeplugs), changing every setting I can and I still can't stream SD content!

I might try PS3MS on my laptop next, but it won't for a while. i will post back results when I do. I'm pretty sure its the PS3 with the latest firmware update.

Thanks for the reply, i will try and find your post.....

I think from my testing that it must be the ps3 and not my equipment or interference.

Well, i have tried hardwiring (via homeplugs), changing every setting I can and I still can't stream SD content!

I might try PS3MS on my laptop next, but it won't for a while. i will post back results when I do. I'm pretty sure its the PS3 with the latest firmware update.

Thanks for the reply, i will try and find your post.....

I think from my testing that it must be the ps3 and not my equipment or interference.
It is almost certainly to do with recent sony updates as I had no issues prior to them. I know some people don't have issues, so refuse to beleive sony are to blame, but I have gone back to 360 for all streaming now as I have no issues with it at all. It plays more files I have, never stutters at all - whether wired or wireless. PS3 is useless for any movie files now - even stalls when wired and totally un-useable over wireless.

Shame as PS3 was only a media centre for me anyway - now it is basically useless.

Spoken to my friend who was suffering the same issue this morning. He hardwired his from his router with Cat6 cable and now his works fine......

wish I didn't have solid flooring so I could do the same.

I completly agree that it is the ps3 updates to blame. I will ring the sony care line this weekend to mention it as an issue and post back what they say.

Hi - I don't believe that it is hard-wiring or wireless that causes the issues. I tried hard-wiring mine and it was exactly the same. Many other people seem to be having the issue as well (and if HD content is fine then clearly bandwidth is not the answer). I seem to have fixed mine by reducing (yeah, I know this is strange!) the Streaming Buffer Size in Twonky.

It defaulted to 16384 and suggests that you don't change this unless you're having issues. It also says to keep the number between 16000 and 128000. I increased it to 128000 to no effect, then reduced it to 8000 - hey presto, no more stuttering.

I have zero idea why this would work, but as long as it does, I'm happy with the solution.

Hope it works for some others as well.

I seem to have fixed mine by reducing (yeah, I know this is strange!) the Streaming Buffer Size in Twonky.

It defaulted to 16384 and suggests that you don't change this unless you're having issues. It also says to keep the number between 16000 and 128000. I increased it to 128000 to no effect, then reduced it to 8000 - hey presto, no more stuttering.

Thanks - I'll give this a try whilst measuring performance before and after.
Which PS3 firmware are you running?

I'm running 3.1 on the PS3 (which was no better than 3.01 until I made this change). For reference I'm running Twonky 4.4.17 on a QNAP TS109 II NAS drive.

I'm sure someone said they noticed a difference in SD streaming (of a particular format) after the latest firmware update....but i might have been mistaken...

PS3 v3.1 doesn't seem to have made any difference to the throughput on my setup so far but I too had seen that post.

I increased it to 128000 to no effect, then reduced it to 8000 - hey presto, no more stuttering.

I reduced mine to 8000 and the bandwidth use appears to be unchanged (~28Mbps). As I wasn't using the system I can't report whether there was any stuttering. Hope to test at the weekend but it doesn't look promising :(

Attachments

• graph_image.php.png
    graph_image.php.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 64

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom