SD cards & Virtual console games questions

Accelra

Standard Member
Hi there,

Last night I bought Legend of Zelda & Super Mario 64 from the virtual console shop thing and they downloaded to my internal 512mb memory.

Every time I try to copy the game file to my SD card (of which the console recognises fine) it hangs on the transfer.

When I go back look after I have rebooted after the hang, I see a transfered file of 1 block which is unusable.

Is this meant to happen? Is this just Nintendo's way of stopping you transfering downloaded games?

Any help would be great.

Accelra

Standard Member
I have a Kingston 2GB SD card which seems to be found correctly by the Wii as it displays the amount of blocks I have free (loads).

Do you have to format it or something before use?

I remember having it in the slot on the console before I did the update that allowed functionality for it, would this make a difference?

danvitale

I have copied my retro games to my Sandisk 2gb SD card (15,000 blocks free!), and although they copied ok you cant run them from the card. Thats very annoying. I hope they update that.

I didnt have to format the SD card, it just detected it as so. Mind you, you do have a note with the console documentation saying that you have to run a software update to use SD cards....

Accelra

Standard Member
I hope I haven't buggered things up by having the card in their prior to updating the firmware.

Might try taking the card out later on & then re-inserting it and seeing if I have more luck.

crown62

I am not sure how the capacity of a 2GB SD card works?

Say for example you down loaded mario 64 , how many times would that fit on a 2GB SD card?

Can anyone confirm that how this all works ?
Do you download initially to the internal memory, then transfer to an SD card, thus freeing up the internal memory to use again by deleting from it:)

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
what file format is your memory card? if you formatted it as fat 32 it might not work

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom