SD Card to DVD format - No PC

DaveBhoy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon !

Looking to see if anyone knows of a current device that does the same job as the Sony DVDirect recorder (VRDMC5) or the Canon DW-100 ?

Basically, I'm looking to be able to produce disks playable in standard DVD players from images captured on a memory card WITHOUT connecting it to a PC ?

We used to use the Sony devices, and they worked well for us, but they appear to have been discontinued. Have suggested to the users that they learn how to use Nero (or similar) but they're insisting they need to work PC-less...

Suggestions welcome !

Last edited:
You could always plug the A/V out from your camera into a DVD recorder - wouldn't be HD 'though.

You could always plug the A/V out from your camera into a DVD recorder - wouldn't be HD 'though.
Thanks, Terfyn. The HD isn't important to them, apparently, so it might be an option, but was hoping for an easier option - i don't really understand why doing it on a pc is tricky, but hey...

Hi,
It's possible that just having to use a PC is seen as difficult, after-all its programs are riddled with stupidity. The biggest problem is having to learn the software ( and quite apart from that, Learning to perform an Edit ).
I suspect Terfyn's suggestion is the best option, although a DVD recorder with the necessary inputs will need to be bought soon, as I suspect they will be discontinued as folks move over to BlueRay and Catch-Up TV using the Internet.
However, when I look at my films most would be unwatchable ( Eh?), without cutting out bits, performing transitions, sound-effects and so on . . . . so a basic "Copy" would only be useful if I was trying to back-up a SDHC card.... but then I do that using my PC to Copy to HDD.

+It does surprise me that a simple HDD caddy isn't available with a card-reader, which would copy the whole card - but I suspect this would fall short of yr requirements ( Playable DVD ), as this involves down-grading the HD footage.
...Good Luck..

Thanks, 12harry - we've simplified doing similar on PCs before, using basic batch files to convert using VLC and then burn using Nero with minimal user intervention, and might need to look at doing similar here.

Its a shame that the Sony DVDirect devices appear to have been discontinued - guess there's a limited market for them.
Have found a few SD->DVD copiers, but they don't do the conversion to DVD format, just write the data to a disk.

Found this device on Amazon:-
Systor 1-1 USB, SD, CF to CD/DVD Machine Tower Copier

At £440 its a bit pricy but should do what you want.
Write up:-

Back up your important data from erasable memory cards or flash drives to archival CD's or DVD's! The new Systor Media Backup Center is your all-in-one, standalone solution for data backup and disc duplication. No hard drive required, the Systor Media Backup Center has a compact and stylish design with multiple memory card and USB drive readers built-in. Intelligent Multi-Session and Disc Spanning Technologies make data transfer as easy as one touch of a button. The Systor Media Backup Center is also a disc duplicator that copies up to 1 disc at a time. Be the first to experience all the benefits that Systor Media Backup Center has to offer!

Certainly seems to fit OP's requirements,
- but wouldn't a s/h laptop be a far better bet?
Lighter, smaller
More useful
Easier to get serviced
Useful screen to view saved files

Thanks, folks - I had a look at the Systor option, but it seems to just write the data as is to disc.

We have laptops that could be used, but they are insistent that it needs to be a non-PC based solution, as it would appear to be too difficult to use.

Thanks, folks - I had a look at the Systor option, but it seems to just write the data as is to disc.

We have laptops that could be used, but they are insistent that it needs to be a non-PC based solution, as it would appear to be too difficult to use.

So see #2 above!!

IMO A decent video editor from Sony or Corel would sort the problem once and for all. If you want to create a DVD from a series of files on a SD card then this is certainly your best option. It is not that tricky but you will need a good up to date PC.
If the Systor copies the .m2t files from your SD card to a DVD then, presumably , they will play back in some form. But it will not be a DVD as the public understand it.

If you find a better way than a PC + software please let us know.

Last edited:
I think the problem is the User believes any PC-system is too difficult for their operators to use......although they may fear the footage is messed about, posted to friends, etc.

It is rather odd that you can't get a card-reader, RaspberryPi and HDD in a slim case to do this, relatively simple task. Some LEDs or a small LCD would be able to confirm the file-names and size, so You'd be reasonably sure it was an exact copy. A solar-power option would keep the batteries fresh, for use in difficult places.

The logic though is that it's easier and cheaper to buy more cards. You can get a lot of cards for £400+.

OP might like to consider atomos £500 option which is a Monitor and takes HDD - it uses the HDMI-feed and makes rather large files..... but as it's not on a card, there is greater capacity. The "Laptop HDD" goes inside, but is bought separately, which increases cost. The monitor is larger that the average camcorder and offers Peaking/Zebra if required. However it records ProRes which may be an issue for consumer Editing programs. I understand LightWorks (=subscription) will edit this, but I've balked at the Total cost.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom