• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SD card readers

Brooktop

The card reader on my iMac has become dodgy - the pins obviously aren't connecting correctly.

I've bought a cheap reader off ebay that claims read speeds of 4mbs. Is this also the transfer speed...because that tops out at 1 mbs. A 14gb file estimates at 4 hrs! The internal sd reader on my netbook transfers it in 20 mins...as would the iMac if it was working.

Are there any usb plug in external sd card readers that will reach those speeds or is the bottleneck elsewhere? Eg the usb port?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
A USB2 port is good for about 30MB/s (that's 240Mb/s) so if you're getting such low speeds on cards you know are faster then it's likely to be the card reader at fault.

I can't recommend a specific model from experience, but if you look for one that lists the format it supports and is up to date (I think SDXC is the latest one) then that's usually a good indication it's half-decent. Although they're pretty cheap anyway so I'd just pick up the latest model from the likes of Transcend for a tenner if you're using it a lot.

Brooktop

Thanks. Have checked my old cf card reader and it transfers at 10 mbs so it's obviously just the one from ebay is poor quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom