SD but high quality digital camcorder

SoundBox

Novice Member
Having used Hi8 up until now the whole Digital 8/DV/Mini DV/DVD thing passed me by, but out of interest during that time what were the most respected machines for solid SD (DVD) output using analogue connections?

By analogue I mean RGB or S-Video - not component. Features like accessory shoe, manual shutter and iris, image stabilisation and nightshot are plusses.

I often see used machines for sale but not knowing what is what I don't make a move on them. I got a Panasonic TM900 last week but the designers did not have me in mind (the picture outputed is just too small) so I will be on the lookout for something better suited for my purposes.

Any and all make/model numbers appreciated.

SoundBox

Novice Member
Just wondering, what do you mean by "the picture outputed is just too small" ?

I mean the picture does not fill the screen either side to side nor top to bottom when set to 4:3 output - it just floats with black bars all around. I put a clip here demonstrating the issue. The manual even admits to this on page 105.

I was looking at a NV-GS400 MiniDV camcorder. Are these a respected machine?

12harry

Distinguished Member
Widescreen can look a bit strangled, until all the right settings are in order (on the Playback route). Maybe SoundBox needs to compare the Pana output with a commercial DVD (say).

However it will be difficult to have anything else, as manufacturers and filmakers are very keen to force this format upon us.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom