• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SD and Video Processing

norge

I think most of you agree with me that SD broadcasts are best viewed from CRT TVs. The picture is smooth and clear. However, when such a picture is enlarged as on most flat panels, defects start to be seen on the image especially fast action ones. Hence the need for video processors to correct or try to improve the enlarged image on the flat screen.

Now that I have a flat screen which is decribed in reviews as having one of the best LCD deinterlacing and upscaling engines, I can still see this difference on SD satellite broadcasts. Not that I am not happy with the TV because I know it does a good job when compared to others that I have seen but I am after something more professional. Mostly I watch SD broadcasts and so I am trying to see whether a processor like EDGE or VP 50Pro can actually convert a SD picture on a flat panel as if it is actually viewed on say a 29" CRT TV.

Avi

Distinguished Member
I think most of you agree with me that SD broadcasts are best viewed from CRT TVs. The picture is smooth and clear. However, when such a picture is enlarged as on most flat panels, defects start to be seen on the image especially fast action ones. Hence the need for video processors to correct or try to improve the enlarged image on the flat screen.

Now that I have a flat screen which is decribed in reviews as having one of the best LCD deinterlacing and upscaling engines, I can still see this difference on SD satellite broadcasts. Not that I am not happy with the TV because I know it does a good job when compared to others that I have seen but I am after something more professional. Mostly I watch SD broadcasts and so I am trying to see whether a processor like EDGE or VP 50Pro can actually convert a SD picture on a flat panel as if it is actually viewed on say a 29" CRT TV.

It really depends on the quality of the source material and how much processing the display performs to overcome any inherent technology issues. LCD's tends to use more processing in an attempt to overcome some inherent issues such as sample and hold motion smear etc.

The Edge can help with regard to areas such as deinterlacing but it can't work miracles on poor quality source material or overcome all display tech issues.

Maybe worth trying to arrange a home demo to establish if either meets your expectation.

AVI

norge

Here I cannot do so as the products would be available on order. So I have to hold on to the comments on this forum and reviews.

Do you think the VP50 pro would do better than the edge on 576i material. Seems the same to me.

I think options like precision gamma correction are not things that I am after but AutoVFR™: Intelligent Component Video Inputs with Automatic Video Format Routing are important to me and this is not advertised in the Edge. The inputs are there but do they perform the same?

I have a device with scart output so I have to feed 4 leads in EDGE...RGB and synchronous.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Here I cannot do so as the products would be available on order. So I have to hold on to the comments on this forum and reviews.

Do you think the VP50 pro would do better than the edge on 576i material. Seems the same to me.

I think options like precision gamma correction are not things that I am after but AutoVFR™: Intelligent Component Video Inputs with Automatic Video Format Routing are important to me and this is not advertised in the Edge. The inputs are there but do they perform the same?

I have a device with scart output so I have to feed 4 leads in EDGE...RGB and synchronous.

I don't use it but the Edge can support 2 x RGBs inputs and one of those inputs also supports RGBHV so that shouldn't be an issue. Used in this configuration it uses the component inputs.

I'm not familiar with VFR so can't comment but the Edge has limited automation support compared to the VR50pro. That said it really depends on what you need.

According to DVDO the processing is the same in the VP50pro and Edge with both using the ABT2010.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom