1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD 220E Problems - Anyone else??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jason S, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just taken delivery of a Tosh SD 220E, and running through the test disks I use, I'm getting terrible problems with the first 2 disks skipping when special features are available during the film.

If anyone else has encountered this, or not, please let me know so I can get it rectified, or a refund.

Disks used are

The Matrix - First scene, Trinity fight scene, as soon as T runs around the wall, skips about 15sec forward.

Planet of the Apes 2001 - First scene again, chimp is about to crash the simulator, Mark W appears on the right, then it skips forward to the next scene, > 1min.

Subsequent special feature flags cause the same problems, but those are the first points on each film.

I've tried to disable the angle mark which is used on the Matrix disk, but cannot do this on the 220E, or cannot see how to..

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have a Toshiba 220 (multi regioned by Leading Edge Concepts) and I likewise have a problem with The Matrix (Region 2), I have exchanged the disk but the problem remains, I therefore took the disk back and swapped it for another title.

I also noticed it jumping at various points, the most noticable being Chapter 10 (Neo exiting the pod) it plays about 5 - 10 seconds of that chapter and then moves on missing the whole section where he sits up and looks around and eventually gets flushed out an rescued.

I spoke to LEC where I got it from on Friday, they tried it with a Region 1 which played ok on the machine in the shop, but I have arranged to take mine in and see if it is a problematic player or if it affects all 220's. I'll also be taking a copy of The Matrix (Region 2), borrowed from a friend) to try out on the player in the shop.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Is your player standard or have you had it modified and which region of The Matrix are you trying to play?

Other than that all other disks (9 to date) have played ok.

3. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My player is modified by Techtronics, and apparently needs a firmware upgrade as it's a few revisions behind. If this rectifies the problem I'll let you know. My copy of The Matrix is region 1, but I also tried region 2. It seems to be problems with the seamless branching component of the disk.

In my case if it can't be fixed then I'm sending it back for exchange to another model on the grounds it's not fit for purpose.

As soon as I know if it works or not, I'll post it to the forum.

Jason

4. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how to check the firmware version on a 220?

Thanks

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zoom, 6,0,6, zoom

gives you the firmware, mine was 1.2

I've spoken to Toshiba this morning who have it recorded as a fault on the 220's but have no fix for it yet, you've got to wait for it to be written. So I'm seriously contemplating sending it back and getting another brand/model

6. 6thElement

6thElement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from LEC last week, only watched one film on it so far and that was fine.

Damn, I hope they get this fixed soon.

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More info on this..

My firmware is 1.2 , apparently 1.3 is the latest.

If anyone can play the film OK, please let me know your firmware version.

I've got 160+ DVD's. Tried about 20 (bad weather all weekend) since the player arrived and all seems OK apart from the two listed above.

Techtronics Tech Support are going to check if the 1.3 firmware fixes the problem before I send the player back in for upgrade. I'm sending them my copies of the DVD's so they can check it out first. A small price to pay for minimising the time without the player. As I'd rather not go back to my Samsung (807)

Otherwise the player is spot on RGB & S-Video is exceptional, and I'm "borrowing" a projector from work for the weekend to test out the component connections (and convince the wife to let me buy one)

Jason

8. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I likewise have version 1.2.

I contacted Toshiba Cstomer Support re this, the person I spoke to went away and checked whether they were aware of the problem, after a coupl of minutes he confirmed that they had it reported and gave me another number in customer services to speak to who would be able to tell me when/how to get the upgrade.

The person I spoke to was very helpful and was actually the person whose job it was to resolve this particular problem. He had just been out to purchase a copy of The Matrix to test the player and let me know what the next steps were:-

he would test the DVD against the player to see if he could repeat the problem (shouldn't be too hard, judging by our experiences)

If it demonstrated a problem, he would send that copy of the DVD to Toshiba in Japan.

Toshiba, Japan would test against that disk and write and release a fix (firmware or otherwise) to Toshiba UK

This process should take 1 - 2 weeks to this point, ( he asked me to get back in touch then, so mut be quite confident of this timescale).

Then to get the player fixed, it would need to be sent to somewhere in Leeds who would apply the fix and return it.

I told him my player had been modified for multi region and asked whether that made a difference.

Basically if your player has not actually had a chip swap they are not too bothered (he understood perfectly well why I would want a modified player)

However if it has been hardware modified, they have in the past fixed the player, but as a result, returned it to region 2, but as he didn't know what the fix would be at that point, he couldn't say if that was applicable at this time.

I will be contacting LEC for advice about how my player is upgraded and how to ensure it stays multi-region.

Likewise, I love the player and would be reluctant to swap it for something else.

9. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a call from Techtronics today, it appears that the 1.3 firmware resolves the playback issue.

So now I've just got to return it for the flash update. So just got to sit in their telephone queue for returns for an couple of days now......

10. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I bought this player from Leading Edge Concepts about six weeks ago and just connected it up recently and noticed the same problems with The Matrix (R1).

But I checked my firmware, and it IS version 1.3!!!! So, that DOESN'T FIX IT! :mad:

I guess I gotta wait for the fix?

Zahid

11. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's really weird, because I had a call from Techtronics today to say that the upgrade has fixed the matrix problem.

I'll get it back soon and let you know the result once I get it into the house.

Sounds like there could be other problems as well as the firmware

Jason

12. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Toshiba earlier this week, it is a problem they know about. They have arranged to swap out my player (their suggestion) for one which has the fix. I likewise got mine from Leading Edge and they will reapply the multi-region. As I work <10 miles from their workshop they can do it while I wait.

I should get the new player on Wednesday, so I'll let you know what happens.

I'm a bit surprised about the region 1 problem, LE had a Region 1 disk in the shop which played ok on their player which was on display and mine. We then tried the region 2 and it wouldn't play properly on either.

13. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a multi-region version bought over the phone from Sound & Vision in Bolton and input the Zoom 606 Zoom thing. This was the output on the screen:

BOOT ROM Version : V1.000
    MAIN ROM Version : V1.300 - R1
    OSD : Eng/Fre/Ger/Spa/Ita
    V-FORMAT : PAL/AUTO
    DIMMER : Normal/Dimmed/Off
    TB : X

The following was output in the player window:

1.00 - 1.30 - R1

Please forgive me as I don't understand these things fully, but I guess this shows I have v1.3 firmware? What about the rest - is some of the info shown relating to how I have my player setup?

What in particular does "TB : X" mean?

Anyway, I have borrowed a R1 version of Planet of the Apes from a friend and tried playing the first scene and it skips at the same point described above.

So what does all this mean? What should I do?

Thanks for your help.

PeterL

14. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine had the R2 firmware, but I can't see that making the difference.

I don't have a clue what all the other info is about, but once I get mine back and can test it (next weekend) I'll post the results and all the firmware details.

Jason

15. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got the following reply from Leading Edge concepts earlier today...

---
    Dear Zahid,

Thank You for your enquiry.

We have become aware of an issue with the region 2 copy of Matrix (chapter 10 skip) and the Toshiba SD220e.
    Toshiba Information Systems are investigating this matter and they may or may not issue an upgrade directly.
    You may contact TIS on 01276 62222.

We will correspond with you again when we have heard from TIS in respect to a resolution to this issue.

Please check back regularly.
    http://www.leconcepts.com

Once again Thank You for your enquiry.

Regards

Connie (sales #023)

---

So what do you think?

Should I await a correspondance with these guys or contact Toshiba directly?

Zahid

16. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be inclined to work with Toshiba directly (not because of any problem with LE, but it is one less layer to go through), I have arranged for Toshiba to swap out my player this coming week (details in earlier post).

I do have the convienience of living close to Leading Edge to get it re multi-regioned as the Toshiba replacement will be back to Region 2.

I suppose it depends on how convenient it is for you to have it re-modified.

Calum

17. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Very* inconvenient! :(

Ah well, it's not that big a problem.. I'll just wait until Leading Edge Concepts can sort me out with a fix. I don't think I'll watch The Matrix for another few months and never did like that Planet of the Apes! :D

Cheers,
    Zahid

18. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Techtronics have posted their response about it:

Toshiba SD-210E & SD-220E
    Problem: Software fault meaning the player will not support multi-angle DVDs (Matrix, Planet of the Apes etc)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Solution: Toshiba are currently re-writing the software

This was the source:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/trouble-shootings/0030-toshiba-dvd.html

I wonder how long Toshiba they will take?

One matter of concern for me is that mine has been multi-regioned by Sound & Vision and so the warranty is maintained by them meaning that if they agree this is a problem I will have to return the DVD to them. Is anyone else in this position and do you forsee a problem? Will the software upgrade have to be applied by a dealer or could this be done by the customer via a DVD/CD (please forgive me if this is a stupid question! :blush: )

Thanks, PeterL

19. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going on what I've already discussed with Techtronics it's going to be a case of either sending the player back to a Toshiba service centre, and getting an R2 machine back, getting a doorstep swap to an updated player (again R2) or sending it back to where you bought it for an update if they are capable. In my case this is Techtronics. There will be no CD/DVD update as the tosh players are incapable of using this method (from Tosh's tech support line).

Techtronics have been pretty good about sorting it out (once I got hold of them) and if it's not 100% fixed with the latest firmware I'm getting then they'll take it back and re blow it once Tosh sort out the new code. In my opinion it could take months to get it re-coded so I've opted for a potential early fix for the majority of the problems.

I'm away in Holland all next week (work not play) and when I get back I'll test the player and post the results.

I too am not too fussed about POTA, but the Matrix is a different story. However both aer good examples of seamless branching discs so ideal for testing.

20. urqa

urqa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 220E over the weekend. I was very impressed by it so I decided to watch the matrix too, then it all went wrong.

So far, I'm only missing the lobby scene where Neo and Trinity have a big shoot out with the armed police.

I'm not sure what version of firmware i've got but i'll find out tonight.

Got the player from Richer Sounds in Bournemouth so hopefully won't be too difficult to sort out once Toshiba have got their act together.

Does any one have the phone number for Toshiba Tech support or a case number?

Maybe if we all start calling them it'll put some weight behind the issue...

urqa.

21. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    0115 97 66 958

22. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba Support are on 0115 976 6958

I spoke to them last week and they are swapping my player for one that should work, from what the person I spoke to on the phone said, they are aware of the problem and this should be fixed.

I'm due to get it on Wednesday so I'll find out then.

Calum

(Edit - Didn't quite get there in time)

23. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Calum

That sounds good of Toshiba. Presumably you didn't buy it directly from them? Is your player just a standard R2 or did you buy it multi-regioned?

PeterL

24. urqa

urqa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Just got my missus to find out the ROM versions:

Boot Rom Version: v1.0.0.0
    Main Rom Version: v1.3.0.0-R2

So, it look likes V1.3 fixes some problems but not all of them (I just wanna see that Matrix lobby scene!!!)

Looking forward to hearing what happens with your experiences.

urqa

p.s. my 220E was bought multi-region and I'm using a R2 version of the Matrix.

25. urqa

urqa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent News!!!

Thanks for the Tosh support number guys.

Just called Toshiba and found out that on the 220E, the parental lock is permanently enabled which filters scenes (!?). I explained that I had V1.3 Main ROM and the woman (bless her) knew instantly what I was on about.

Now i've got to arrange a swap out through Richer Sounds but i've got a reference number with Toshiba so it should all be cool. will let you know how I get on.

urqa.

26. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Urqa for the info (btw I too am based in Bournemouth), but I'm confused by Toshiba's response. According to Techtronics contact with Toshiba (see my post above) this is a problem with multi-angle discs - no mention was made of the parental lock causing the problem.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks, PeterL

27. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PeterL

My player was bought multi-regioned from Leading Edge Concepts, the technical person I spoke to at Toshiba a couple of weeks ago wasn't bothered about the fact that it was multi-region, but even if it had been upgraded by swapping a chip they have in the past fixed them (but as a result returned them to Region 2)

Can't get much better customer service than that

Calum

28. urqa

urqa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PeterL,

I think I might have introduced another issue into this thread.

I'm running a R2 version of the Matrix and my player's main ROM is at V1.3. My player is also multi region.

The matrix plays fine but is missing eight minutes. The movie is supposed to be 131 minutes long but my player can only detect 123 minutes. The lost eight minutes are during the bit where Neo and Trinity have the gun battle in the lobby (best scene in the movie).

When I explained this to the Toshiba helpdesk woman, she had a chat with her manager and then said that the Parental Lock has been permanently enabled (even though it says its turned off) and that this was a known issue.

She gave me a reference number to use to swap the player over and I have arranged with Richer Sounds in Bournemouth to sort it out as I bought the player from them (they'll have to multiregion the replacement).

By the way Richer sounds have given me a loan player whilst they sort this out (an excellent service).

I therefore think that the multi-angle malarky is fixed with the firmware upgrade.

29. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's OK urqa, no worries.

I'm still a bit confused though. My player (using the zoom, 6, 0, 6, zoom option) shows the following it to be V1.300 - R1.

So, if both our players have been multi-regioned why does your player show V1.300 - R2 and mine shows V1.300 - R1?

Have you tried Planet of the Apes (2001) as suggested earlier in the thread where the player actually skips over a minute around 4 minutes into the film. Mine skips and I have v1.3 rather than v1.2 firmware. :confused:

Does all this mean that there are 2 known bug/issues with the SD220?

By the way, I wish I had know Richer Sounds in Boscombe sold the multi-region SD220. I bought mine over the phone from S&V in Bolton which I suspect is going to make it a real pain when I want to get a replacement. I doubt very much as if I will get a loan player as well!

Also, the reference number Toshiba gave you: is that for the purpose of returning the player to your supplier etc.?

Sorry for more questions! :)

Thanks for your (and anyone else's help),
    Peter

30. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is also a multi region and had the R2 suffix after the rom version, I'm guessing that that relates to the actual firmware type as according to the guy I've been dealing with at Techtronics they dont modify the firmware but have another method of injecting the appropriate bit signature when required.

So it could be that those saying R1 were originally R1 machines (the player can be voltage switched if I remember rightly)

Interesting about the parental lock, can't say I've seen it on any other movie. I'll have to watch something like American Psycho or the Messenger which have some failry gorey scenes. Also, I'll be trying the R1 version of The Matrix, which may have different parental levels.

Just hope it gets back soon, going back to my Samsung 807 is a really noticeable drop...