Scuba try-dive

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Progeni, Apr 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Progeni

Progeni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Afternoon folks,

Do we have any Scuba divers here?

I am strongly considering doing a try-dive and seeing if Scuba would be interesting. My local PADI dive center would be near hull at 8 acre lakes. They offer both lake or pool experiences so I was thinking of just trying the lake. Since then a friend of mine argued strongly for the pool as the first experience due to the more comfortable environment, would anyone have any idea's or experience to share on here?

Cheers.

2. kalgar

kalgar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Pool will be clearer and warmer and so if any problems be easier to deal with

3. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,138
    When I did Padi open water the training was in a pool and in the sea.

Pools are nice and safe but also very small. Not a lot to look at either.

You will see more wildlife in ten minutes under water than an all day safari.

I'd go for the lake as you will go somewhere, explore and see things.

4. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    My try dive was in a flooded quarry near Lancaster. Loved it, then did the open water training in December, partly in the near frozen quarry, and partly in a lovely warm pool!

Since done over 100 dives in the Maldives and the Red Sea, but am grateful of the tough conditions I learnt the basics in, I feel it got me ready for whatever was to come.

5. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Would agree with above.. there is generally a LOT more to see in open water than a pool, unless of course you only want to look at bikini fish [emoji3]

The quarry I used had sunken boats, planes, helicopters, and even stuff salvaged from Morecombe funfair!

6. Lusankya

Lusankya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    Look into your local BSAC club. PADI is sh*te.

It is cheaper and you will learn skills as part of the courses that you have to pay extra for with Padi. There is a reason people call it pay another dollar in.

You are also certified to go deeper at each level. My club is superb. Dives are constantly organised locally and abroad and have their own boat. The support and experience from other members is invaluable. I could not recommend BSAC enough.

7. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,138
    PADI and BSAC.

1. They are both safe, it is divers bending the rules that are a problem, regardless of the governing body.
    2. BSAC is an amateur club (as defined by HSE) and PADI is a professional organisation.
    3. Due to the charges PADI levees it has been able to plough a large amount of money into dive research.
    4. PADI tends to be for recreational divers who dive under a dive master. BSAC tends to encourage people to dive as a pair and train with each other.

8. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Sorry only just spotted this thread if still relevant & you haven't yet started..:)

When i started there was only BSAC in my area (PADI was quite new in the UK) so i went with them obviously, i got as far as sports diver myself it was enough for me & tbh it is for most. My first dive was called a try dive in a pool (the reason to use a pool for your first try dive should be oblivious) no big money involved you just paid for your air, just pop along to a BSAC club they probably still do them but i cannot say for sure ask Lusankya he'd know because being BSAC is all about the club)

I haven't dived in quite a few years now, but the main thing is to just enjoy your diving no matter whom you go with & don't get caught up in the snobbery of which is better blah blah just work out what you want to achieve with your diving & chose accordingly.

There are in fact quite a few different agencies around the world not just two as most would have you think, even in the UK ;)

Sub-Aqua Association | SAA Official Website | UK Diving Association

Equivalent Diving Qualifications: BSAC, PADI, CMAS, NAUI, etc - SCUBA Travel

BSAC vs PADI: What is the difference in the scuba qualifications

Enjoy & be safe down there :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018