1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCSI software RAID1?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ukbubs, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a newbie question.....

Building a new machine which will be used mainly for music work (HMPC rather than HCPC?? ;) )

I've got a couple of spare (quiet) scsi drives around, and an adaptec 2940 controller.

With XP (or win2k server for that matter), can you mirror an O/S once you've made the disk dynamic?

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good question .. I don't think a software RAID would possible since until the disk drivers etc. are loaded the hardware would only access the boot drive, and assuming things change on disk during the boot process up to the point that the software RAID driver kicks in then I don't see how the mirror would be maintained.

I could be proved wrong, but I've always believed only hardware RAID is possible for boot partitions.

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    You can certainly mirror in W2k Server however, there are many reasons why it may fail (apart from the fact that it's a Microsoft product!). See here for a little light reading on the subject. On top of that, you need to consider the overhead required to maintain a mirror by software. If you decide to go ahead then my advice would be to do a dummy build & actually simulate the failure of the boot disk to verify that you can then boot from the mirror.

I've never looked at mirroring on Windows 2003 (XP) Server so suggest you search the MS Knowledge Base for how robust (or otherwise) it is.

Last time I looked, SCSI RAID controllers were dirt cheap & plentiful on e-bay.

4. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KraGorn - that's what I had thought.....

Crocodile - If you think that's light reading :laugh: now I can see why you've racked up so few posts in 2 years of membership LOL. Some of the faults discussed on that link are a bit too stressful to bear reading unless in a panic (i.e for real!)

I should have thought of going to the MSKB myself.....

But seriously - a dummy build is doubtless going to be necessary - good idea. As to overhead - unless I'm much mistaken, unless you're talking about a large raid5 array, overhead isn't too much of an issue (my 1.4tb has 6 disks and according to disk management takes up 16% o/head

Any way - thanks guys