"Scruffs" Snobbery or Reality

Dave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you look down on certain people?

If so why?

Is it snobby or simply a manifestation of cultural and personal prejudices and standards?

I believe it's the latter, I often look down on those who feel society owes them a debt despite benefitting from it the most and contributing the least. It's simple logic to me and I find the attitudes of some astounding. Jeremy Kyle guests are the sort of people I look down on and to be honest, as bad as it sounds I think I am better than them.

So, what do you think?

P.S, apologies to the GC mods in advance for the amount of work this thread may require. :D

Dave said:

If so why?

Is it snobby or simply a manifestation of cultural and personal prejudices and standards?

I believe it's the latter, I often look down on those who feel society owes them a debt despite benefitting from it the most and contributing the least. It's simple logic to me and I find the attitudes of some astounding. Jeremy Kyle guests are the sort of people I look down on and to be honest, as bad as it sounds I think I am better than them.

So, what do you think?

P.S, apologies to the GC mods in advance for the amount of work this thread may require. :D

As you really . People who think the state owes them a living .
In my line of work , as yours I suspect , I see people from all walks of life and those you've described drive me crazy. People who raise kids badly and those who treat there elderly relatives with contempt.
In that respect I have massive respect and in turn look up to the Asian community who , in my experience and line of work , have so much respect and will do anything for there elderly . The way it should be .

And Jeremy Kyle . Clucking hunt

It is wrong and there isn't much justification for it but even if you have a PHD, a nobel prize, are the reigning Mastermind champion and NASA have you on speed dial, if you approach me wearing a football shirt when you aren't...
-Playing football
-In the action of supporting or proceeding to and from supporting at a football match

...my heart will sink and I will make strenuous efforts to try and get away. Sorry.

In that respect I have massive respect and in turn look up to the Asian community who , in my experience and line of work , have so much respect and will do anything for there elderly . The way it should be.

But if you are a child dying in the street they'll give you a wide berth. Well, the dozen or so on that video at least. Shocking!

Just saying...

Ste7en said:
But if you are a child dying in the street they'll give you a wide berth. Well, the dozen or so on that video at least. Shocking!

Just saying...

ok my view is from in the UK and a well off (ish) south London borough.

In that respect I have massive respect and in turn look up to the Asian community who , in my experience and line of work , have so much respect and will do anything for there elderly . The way it should be .

And Jeremy Kyle . Clucking hunt

Not all Asians. They have their share of scumbags and crimminals. They also are increasingly putting their elderly in nursing homes. There was a documentary about it on CH4.

I'm a snob. There you are at least I admitted it! I was recently given a posh test by a colleague at work and my score was 'tally ho'!

As for the Jeremy Kyle issue I feel that it's the Victorian freak show for modern people in that we can't help but watch these 'poor people' and comment on their disfortune. Also it raises the question how do so many ugly people with so few teeth get so much sex?

Finally we have the race issue... I do not admire any other race, I admire other cultures, sometimes. The colour of your skin has no bearing on you as a person.

Well your OP has summed it up very well for me, most hard done by yet handed over cash every week for not a lot of work if any! , as ever if something goes wrong it's never they're fault but someone else to blame.

They feel they are being kept in place by society in reality they find it hard to grasp the concept of sticking in at school , work etc.

If so why?

So, what do you think?

I agree 100% and if I am correct we are both exactly the same age. Great minds!

I'm a snob. There you are at least I admitted it! I was recently given a posh test by a colleague at work and my score was 'tally ho'!

As for the Jeremy Kyle issue I feel that it's the Victorian freak show for modern people in that we can't help but watch these 'poor people' and comment on their disfortune. Also it raises the question how do so many ugly people with so few teeth get so much sex?

Finally we have the race issue... I do not admire any other race, I admire other cultures, sometimes. The colour of your skin has no bearing on you as a person.

alcohol! :thumbsup:

i must admit i am becoming increasingly a snob.

i hate the people who breed and expect the state to look after them. i dont mind if you fall on hard times etc but people who just want to claim benefits and churn out kids just annoy me.

Agree with the Jeremy Kyle thing, the people on there are just awful.

I'm awful for looking down upon and moaning about these people who have kids and don't raise them properly, if at all, the ones that have dozens of kids for their own financial benefit or to get another larger property from the council who they seem to think should grant their every request or its against their human rights.

These people should be thankful that they can have children, many people cant, and they should be thankful that they have healthy children.

I agree with the OP totally.

I have a solution for these people - Pay them using vouchers for food and milk etc so they cannot spend the money on drugs and drink. They should also be made to work voluntarily if they do not find a job after a certain amount of time... This will surely make these 'chavs' want to improve their lives and not wait to appear on Jeremy Kyle...

As it is they are given money to do what they want with - and alot of the money that is due to their kids ends up being spent on fags and sky tv...

The UK has far too many lazy spongers that have no reason to get a job...

The current welfare state is no longer fit for purpose but how to change it without causing a lot of pain and suffering is a major problem.
Also about Jeremy Kyle - they spend a lot of time finding the people to play on others prejudices.

The current welfare state is no longer fit for purpose but how to change it without causing a lot of pain and suffering is a major problem.
Also about Jeremy Kyle - they spend a lot of time finding the people to play on others prejudices.

Surely the welfare is there to help people in need - not support the lazy?

If these people where only given 'the bare minimum' to survive it would give them something to work towards? As the system is now they get a free house, free money so why go out to work as they will not benefit from working!!!!!

On the other hand - if they have the dole money paid as vouchers that can only be used for normal food and drink (bread,milk,meat,fruit & veg etc...) then they cannot waste it on smoking & drinking...so if they want to do these things (what chavs don't!) then they need to earn their own money... simples!

Hi,

I think everyone looks down on certain sections of society, irrespective of who they themselves are, and who the people they are looking down upon are.

It's human nature to position yourself above some, and below others, and to hold prejudiced views of those people, even if those beliefs have no factual basis on which to base them.

I look down on Fat Cat CEO's and Manager's, who seem to pay themselves massive amounts of cash, and appear to do naff-all, except shaft everyone below them.

Likewise, I also look down on:
- Chavs: Not because they are seen as social pariahs, nor because they claim Benefits, but because they aspire to be better than they are, in the worst ways possible - namely appallingly bad dress sense! Wearing lots og branded goods, does not make you a better individual. It just makes you a corporate mug!
- Yobs/Hooligans: For acting like complete numpties, and coming-off as arrogant wastes of space.
- Drunken men/women, (though not actual "drunks"), who are just being obnoxious idiots, by shouting, chanting or grunting at others, and seem to think they are being really funny/clever, and
- People who seem to think that because of who they are or what position they hold in life, that that automatically assumes them some kind of elevated status in life, e.g. the Royal Family, etc.

Maybe that does make me an ignorant swine? Well, so be it. Everyone holds some prejudices, of one kind or another. Anyone who says otherwise, is probably a liar.

Pooch

I'll be honest, not mad on gypsies.

They have a higher than the average amount of thieves, scumbags and spongers among their numbers than the rest of society.

They think they are above the law.

They have no respect for areas around them, littering them freely and leaving the taxpayer to clean up after them.

I recall watching some documentary some years ago and in a pur there was a bloke at the very low end of the scale (unemployed, or possible worked as labourer on a farm), a middle class person, and a lord type fella..

and guess what, the loord and labourer got on really well as either of them had any pretentious's about them - and the middle england guy was all on his lonesome... ! :)

If you use the word 'mate' to refer to me in a conversation, I will start planning my exit and assume the worst.

I agree with the OP totally.

I have a solution for these people - Pay them using vouchers for food and milk etc so they cannot spend the money on drugs and drink. They should also be made to work voluntarily if they do not find a job after a certain amount of time... This will surely make these 'chavs' want to improve their lives and not wait to appear on Jeremy Kyle...

As it is they are given money to do what they want with - and alot of the money that is due to their kids ends up being spent on fags and sky tv...

The UK has far too many lazy spongers that have no reason to get a job...

Be cheaper to put them down ;) :D

You cannot look down at everyone, you would walk in to a lamp post. Though I do look down at my niece. She's 5.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom