Scrooge (A Christmas Carol) Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Keith Hurst, 23rd November 2009
I have enjoyed most versions of Dickens' heart warming tale and out of them all I still return to this one time and time again. I enjoy Sim's performance as the tight fisted, black hearted Scrooge whose redemption is all the more enjoyable because of his portrayal earlier in the movie.

I still don't think I've seen the last version on disc though. Even though the video is a step up, and worth buying for that alone, this region free Blu-ray disc still has some way to go before I can rest easy and say I have a version I never wish to replace. The video still needs some work, the audio should concentrate on the mono only and get that sounding as best as possible and the extras need far more meat on their skeletal bones.

I do think it's worthy of an upgrade but I see double dipping creeping in yet again if the studio ever decide to return and address these flaws. For such an old movie though, and admittedly with a somewhat limited appeal, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon. I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer, humbug!
Read the full review...

Pecker

Distinguished Member
This one is already on its way, Keith.

Thanks for the review, which supports what I expected the disc to look and sound like.

I doubt this will be a huge earner for the studio, and it may be the case that a print with more consistent brightness is simply not in existence. How much noise reduction could be applied to remove the hiss from the audio without flatenning it out, we may never know.

I'll comment later when I've seen this one - probably after Christmas.

Thanks again.

Steve W

Mac User

As above, thanks for the review. Does anybody know of any seller in the UK selling this, or do I have to ship it in from the states ?

Mac User

Yes, I think I am. Saying that, their is a seller on fleebay selling it, but they want £24 .. if I ship it from the states, it's only £15..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Yes, I think I am. Saying that, their is a seller on fleebay selling it, but they want £24 .. if I ship it from the states, it's only £15..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ship it mate this bloke is doing the same and charging extra for the privilege. thumbsdow

Last edited:

Mac User

Got it yesterday, going to watch it over the weekend. !!

Mac User

Well I finally watched it over the Christmas period, what can I say.. Outstanding PQ and obversely a cracking film :smashin: