Scrolling verticle bar when recording on DMR-20e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Mar 11, 2002.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been recording DVD-Rs over the weekend by copying from my Sky+ box.

When the AV source is selected for the Sky+ (AV1) I get a dark vertical strip scrolling across the screen. This is about two inches or so wide and takes about six seconds to move across the screen. This is transferred to the DVD disk and appears on the the playback.

If I select another source, say my VCR on AV2 I do not get this.

I'm using expensive SCARTs (well £20 each). Can anyone suggest a cause or a solution.

Is it possible that the electronics within the Sky+ box is causing the interference?

Thanks

Dave

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    what happens if you use the s-video connection to connect directly to the TVs s-video input? If it works, try using this as the input to your DVD recorder and see if that helps matters.

Could be a poor quality scart, or a fault in the box, or even a fault in the input on the recorder.

gav

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions, I tried to use the S-Video out on the Sky+ but with a scart connected to the TV it cut off the sound from the twin phono sockets! Is this normal?

I swapped numerous scart leads. As it works fine from the vcr I think I can rule out that possiblity.

Also, with the DVD recorder powered off the RGB gets passed through to the TV and the fault is no longer present. It only shows when the recorder is up an running and the input from Sky+ is selected.

If I get time tonight I shall try recording the S-Video signal without sound and see what happens.

DaveP

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally found time today to try the S-Video out. There is no sign of the scrolling bar. This only leaves me the slight problem of how to get the sound recorded!

A visit to Comet yielded a splitter designed to allow connection of headphones to a telly with no headphone socket. It's a pass through scart with audio fly leads. It works fine but cost a wapping £16.99!!! It's not even gold plated!

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, I am happy now!

DaveP

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the recorder only accept S-vid external AV sources for record? I don't know if sky+ box will out rgb for tv and s-vid for recorder at same time, but if it don't then perhaps this is causing problem. If you can only set the sky+ box for one or other out/in sounds like you will have to live with s-vid for sky+ out to tv and into recorder. Then use rgb out scart on recorder for viewing discs and s-vid scart from sky+box to tv.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The recorder will accept S-Video and Composite. Sky+ is happy to output S-Video, composite and RGB at the same time. The S-Video comes froma mini Din socket, RGB and Composite via the Scart.

The prescence of the Scart Plug disables the sound output on the external twin phonos hence the need for the splitter box.

I now have RGB out from the recorder and Sky+. S-Video into the recorder from my Sky+ box and S-video in from my JVC VCR.

DaveP