1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrolling desktop with custom resolution nightmare

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    I'm really p1ssed off that I can't do something I've done before and is dead easy. Bloody soddin computers.

Right.

Replaced my Radeon VE with Radeon 9000.
    Installed the latest Radeon drivers.
    Uninstalled old Powerstrip and installed 3.30 (latest).
    Went to display properties, selected 1280x720 HDTV from the custom resolutions, changed the refresh rate to 71.929 (won't do 928) and clicked add resolution & Ok etc.
    When the new resolution is applied, I get an 800x600 WINDOW onto a 1280x720 desktop. I.e. move the mouse to the edge of the screen and the window scrolls. Absolutely *****.
    Going back to the advanced timings screen, the resolution shown there is 800x600.
    No matter how much faffing and messing I do, I can't get a full screen 1280x720.

Please somebody help me before I stab a screwdriver through the middle of my motherboard.

2. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nVidia drivers on an ATI?

Anyway, what are you trying to display through? Or should I say what does Windows think you are displaying on? If windows knows something about the monitor/tv it might decide to turn on desktop scrolling, this happens with my laptop when I set the resolution to my custom AE100 res. But when the VGA output is sent to the projector it still does it because I've switched outputs too late, but if I then reboot at that resolution the display will come up correctly on the projector, as windows as sensed the monitor change at startup.

Check what you have set for your display device.

Also if you have Hydravision get rid of it, I've found that really upsets powerstrip on my system.

cheers,
    robk

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Sorry meant Radeon drivers, of course.
    It's into a Barco 1209 but set up as a General Monitor.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds like something stupid like, "hide resolutions that this monitor cannot display" is checked in the display driver.

If not then I'd be inclined to reinstall/redownload the drivers, try cat 3.0 and the associated control panel instead of the very latest.

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Stuart,

Are you driving 2 devices or just your Barco

I had similar probs when I installed my MP-1 modded 9500 from the BNC (modded VGA) output with my PC monitor via DVI under cat 3.0. I "nuked and paved" and installed Cat 3.2 with 3.2 control panel.

Perfect!!

HTH
    Steve

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    JohnS the 'hide resolutions' checkbox is unticked.
    Just driving the Barco.
    What is Cat? Catalyst? I don't have that installed.

7. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry Cat = Catalyst, the latest drivers for the Radeons are called Catalyst and we're now up to revision 3.2, there were problems with 3.1 but 3.2 is pretty stable. Only issue with upgrading Radeon drivers is it's not straightforward deleting the old ones, you are best to manually clean the registry of all ATI entries to ensure a clean upgrade, follow the instructions below if using XP or W2K, not sure about earlier version of Windoze (courtesy of Tim Cooper, thanks Tim!!)

8. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to make ya feel better spectre, yer not on your own, i,m havin the same prob, :mad: :suicide:

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    OK, I finally fixed it.
    In my opinion, the version of catylist installed makes no difference since I got the problem with 2.5 and 3.2.
    What I was doing wrong was having the PC plugged into a 19" Iiyama monitor for setting it up.
    What I did to fix this:
    * I changed the monitor in the display properties to be the Sony 900,
    * I plugged the PC into my Barco and
    * I made sure that the plug & play monitor option was UNCHECKED in both the windows display properties AND The Powerstrip monitor options.
    * I did a Powerstrip (something like) configuration / options / Quick setup to make sure the Sony monitor was recognised by Powerstrip.
    * I then removed all custom resolutions with the option to remove them completely.
    * I then added the resolutions again in the normal way and this time I got no scrolling desktop. And surprise of suprsies, 71.928Hz.

My conclusion is that the problem is caused by the display drivers enforcing a scrolling display if they think the monitor can't support a widescreen resolution. They may detect this through the plug & play process.

If you have a plug & play monitor, don't use it to set up the video card for your projector. The Radeon drivers must decide that your monitor can support a 16x9 resolution and if it can't, it creates a scrolling desktop.
    By either (or both) setting the monitor to be the Sony 900 & disabling plug & play monitor support, the drivers and therefore Powerstrip seem to accept the widescreen resolution.

My recommendation to Radeon driver software team is to put some more thought into this element of their drivers. It's a right royal pain in the arse for people trying to so something which is not at all unusual for home cinema situations.
    My recommendation to they guy(s) at Entech (who have responded to my enquiries with impressive speed) is to perhaps add a note about this situation into their FAQ.

Thanks to all who replied in an effort to help me.

Some key words to help people find this in the future:
    scrolling desktop resolution radeon powerstrip drivers widescreen window moves moving

10. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same problem, and the suggested solution just isn't working for me - aaarrrggghhh!

I'm running XP with a radeon 9600, powerstrip and AE100.

I have set the monitor to the Sony W900, and tried to remove the ATI drivers, but every time I reboot XP detects the graphics card anyway.

I'm wondering if a complete reinstall is the best form of attack, as I'm getting totally fed up with it. I rather suspect all the windows updates M$ send me being part of the problem. The only other thing I can think is the problem is that Windows is not seeing the monitor as a widescreen monitor, so maybe a different display driver for the AE100? Is there such a thing as a "proper" AE100 driver these days?

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    This was some time ago.
    If you have a plug and play monitor then specifying a W900 won't help as your PC will re-detect your monitor.
    The actual key is to - in powerstrip - disable the auto-detection of the monitor and then set it to a W900 and reboot. I forget where the actual setting is.

12. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahhh - back to crisp screen displays. Thanks Spectre - if nothing else, for the moral support to fiddle some more.... ;)

in the end I think deleting the custom resolution then re-entering it from Shockabuku's timings (www.markgoldie.co.uk/oldsite) did the trick. I've Ghosted the drive now, rather than rely on setting a Windows restore point (which has worked for me before, but let me down on this occasion).

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

That's correct. ATi XP and Win2k drivers don't use monitor INF information at all - they never have. Monitor capabilities are determined purely via EDID and/or user override in the Display Properties app. Even if the operating system reads an INF file and exposes more refresh rates, resolutions etc, the driver will restrict output based on EDID feedback from whatever is connected at the time.

Hmm... I'm sure it'd create more problems than it would solve if they created a workaround. Relying on INF information is so dangerous, considering the output capabilities of modern DAC stages. I guess they could probably make it a safe process, so to speak, but it's not worth doing for such a tiny niche market. No point adding features to the driver that might reduce usability for 99.99% of their customer base.

Surely it would be better if projector manufacturers ensured their products deliver compliant information via the DDC? Then there wouldn't be problems like this in the first place.

MuFu.

14. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean all those months of scrolling, was this simple to fix.

Will try this for sure, now just need to remember who was looking for a replacement green tube for me!?!?! The mist is clearing - I see a jumping avatar - no gone

15. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Help cant find the setting

>The actual key is to - in powerstrip - disable the auto-detection of the >monitor and then set it to a W900

Where exactly is it in Powerstrip ?