1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrolling bars on the Sony DX100!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rogue, May 29, 2002.

1. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only Kidding!!

Just got this set delivered on Tuesday and it is a stunning piece of kit.

If any of you guys are interested in buying this tv get it from John Lewis like I did. I scoured the web and the cheapest I could find the DX100 was £1350 from techtronics.com. So I simply printed off the techtronics page with the DX100's price listed, as well as
    Techtronics 'Contact Us' page which had a picture of their shop and contact details.

Went down to my local John Lewis (Watford) on Saturday and simply presented the Techtronics price page to the sales guy.
    "But we dont match web pri" he managed to get out before I showed him the pic of their showroom. As a result they price matched on the spot and threw in a Sony DVD player for free plus the famous 5 year gaurantee! all for £1350. So not a bad deal!

The tv arrived a few days later and what a beast the packaging was. Its now taken pride of place in the living room with the free dvd player nestled snugly on the bottom shelf.

Now on to the bit you might want to know Is this tv worth buying? Oh yes! Believe me i'm fussy, but the picture quality on the DX100 is gorgeous. No scrolling bars whatsoever and importantly, the geometry is spot on. The sky digital menu is good at showing off iffy geometry but all I can see are lines as straight as a bat. Shrinking the picture to 4:3 or widescreen mode also shows off a straight set of lines. Unlike the F-screwed-75 model this baby seems to be free of picture nasties, no focus problems, no colourspots and certainly no scrolling bars. I scrutinised the picture for hours at night against dark backgrounds and the tv showed why Sony are the make of choice for the majority (even though there customer service reeks:rolleyes: ).

I also bit the bullet and got some IXOS scarts for the telly, they really make a difference on SKY digital and DVD.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sky ugh!

Try Digital Terrestrial BBC1

3. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one, might be paying a visit there soon. just need to sort out my Sky dish out first!!

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't need sky dish for a DX100 you need a decent aerial and down cable!

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rogue, I'm after a Panasonic set and will try to get JL to price match the same way you did with a printout from Techtronics. My question is, did it matter that the DX100 only has a 1yr (2 extended) warranty from techtronics? Do I show them the price of the tv without the extend 2yr warranty or with?

Which Techtronics tel. did you give JL?

Any info will be greatly recieved cheers

Dom.

6. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom H,

Dont worry about the warranty, John Lewis will price match regardless, as long as the competitor is in the UK and has a showroom they will match the price. Warranty does'nt come into it.

As far as what telephone number I gave, I simply printed off Techtronics 'Contact Us' page which had a picture of their showroom and a load of numbers.

Good luck with your Panasonic, my friend price matched a 36pb50 from John Lewis and seems pleased with it.

Any DX100 owners out there can help me with a question of my own?

My 9 year old Sony 4:3 tv displays 'AV1', 'AV2' etc when using the composite scarts. However when using RGB it would actually display 'RGB' in the top right corner for a few seconds when it switches over. The newer models dont seem to do this.

I have Sky digital hooked up to the first scart and the dvd player on the second, both these sockets are RGB capable, how do I know if the tv is in RGB mode? as they simply display as av1, av2 ect...

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Re 'how do I know its RGB?'

In the pic adjust menu, there is an option to adjust the RGB position. If it is blackened out, and won't let you adjust it - then your not getting RGB. Vice versa.

8. Woodman

Woodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been convinced by reviews and this forum that the DX100 is the TV for me. Thanks to Rogue I went to JL on Saturday armed with the print out from Techtronics.com. On Thursday their website indicated they had 13 DX100s in stock. When the guy at JL 'phoned Techtronics on Saturday they reported they were out of stock so wouldn't price match - DAMN!!!!

A couple of questions:

Any idea of another store that I could price match at JL (Techtronics price is £1350)?

The Techtronics website says the DX100 is "Currently unavailable due to Sony technical issues". Does anyone know what's going on?

9. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reply from Techtronics online help:

"Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

There have been numerous technical issues (of which I do not have the technical
    details) but which involved returning units several times to Sony UK. It has
    come to the stage where Sony are not even able to tell us which serial nos are
    involved.

I suggest purchasing one locally, eg in Dixons, Currys etc as you WILL need alocal dealer to sort out the problems."

Either these sets have really got problems which is believable (unfortunately, as I was hoping to buy one of these) or it maybe a ploy to stop us going down to the local JLs to get a price match ??!!

10. Woodman

Woodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the same email from Techtronics as RickE. The NX100 is showing the same message as the DX100 on their website. Interestingly, they're still selling FS and FQ models!! Maybe you're right, RickE - they're sick of people price-matching them at JL!