1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screws for wall mounting the bracket

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by davegtt, Mar 3, 2005.

1. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, Mounting my Viera tonight, so Ive gotta pop into Wickes or BnQ and pick up some screws (as I presume the bracket doesnt come with them?) anyhow, its being mounted on a chimney breast wall so its brick. I was wondering what size screws Im gona need to buy???? dont want it falling off do we :)

many thanks

Dave

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Think the fixings you need should be supplied with the mount - they were with mine.

lisa
    :)

3. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mounted mine with 4 'rawl bolts' like these, as recommended by the guys at AV-Sales:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=42936&id=14258

You can get them in B&Q in packs of 4 (B&Q own make), I haven't got the packet any more, but I'm sure they were size 6 & 60mm long.

Needed a 12mm diameter hole, I suggest you drill a smaller pilot hole first as then the drill bit is less likely to wander off your mark.

My bracket is the AV-Sales tilting wall mount & it didn't come with wall fixings (came with loads of bolts & bits to connect to the Plasma though :) )

4. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ohh right then, that'd be even better then :) I saw some screw bolts that was approx 5inches long and fairly thick and chunky but a mate laughed at me and said they'd never hold the telly and pointed to something closer to 9inches :eek: thought they was a bit overkill to be honest so I got slightly worried since my DIY skills aint exactly superb

5. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tarsh, thanks for the reply. 60mm long :eek: that all. only 4 of the buggers? hmm, hopefully I should be OK then :) should be an easy job then, will put about an hour aside for it ;)

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    those chunky black ones fit the mount to the screen...you will need something like Tarsh recommends to fit mount to the wall

7. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got someone to help lift the Plasma onto the wall?

Mine is fairly high, around 6' to the bar the Plasma hooks onto & my 15 year old son struggled to lift it with me. In the end I lifted it on, with him helping to balance it. Not for the faint hearted with 2.5k worth of kit :eek:

8. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah the misses brother said he'd come round after work to help me :) tell me about it, we've been decorating, at the minute its on the pedastal stand and its being moved once ever 2 days onto the window sill and back (its a bay window dont worry I aint balencing it ;) ) misses struggles with it so theres no way I want her help getting it onto the wall

9. thehive

thehive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rawl bolts are the way to go.

I fitted my Pio 504 to my living room wall using 4 rawl bolts. The wall is breeze blocks/thermalites, not brick, but still plenty strong enough.

Unfortunately there was almost 2 inches of plaster on top of the wall. From experience fitting some cabinets, using shallow bolts/screws will not hold well enough.

What I did was to buy rawl bolts where the plug was 2" long (couldn't find any longer!) but the bolt was 6" or 7". Then drill a deep hole (6"-7") and wrap insulating tape around the bolts at an appropriate point to stop the metal plug sliding along the bolt when you insert the whole thing. Tested the mount by standing on it before mounting the plasma :)

Mat

11. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All went swimingly last night :D took about 2 hours ish although we was taking our time as the batteries for the drill was on charge. 8x M8 10mm rawl bolts have done the job, all seems fine. although we heard a bang last night. misses jumped outta bed and ran downstairs to check it was on the wall. I knew it was OK though cause it wasnt that loud of a bang :D looks mighty fine even if I say so myself....

12. timbo2

timbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

Getting a bit frantic as I've had my new Viera delivered (TH42PX700B) and I bought a separate non-Panasonic stand for it. Of course, now it turns out that neither the stand or the plasma came with screws for fixing the plasma to the stand bracket.

Does anyone know what screws I need to fix the two to each other?? Help please !!

Cheers

Tim:confused: